Moparts

Differential gasket for dana axle

Posted By: moparjo68

Differential gasket for dana axle - 10/29/22 04:45 AM

Hi. Have been looking at rockauto and autozone for a differential gasket for the 99 dodge ram 2500 p/u with a dana/spicer 70 rear axle and 10.50 ring gear. The inspection plate has 10 bolt holes. My question is: rockauto lists differential gaskets for the dana 70 axle and the dana 70U axle. Too confusing. I have no idea which to purchase for this vehicle. Any help appreciated!
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Differential gasket for dana axle - 10/29/22 05:18 AM

I’m sure you’re aware those were sealed with RTV from the factory right?
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Differential gasket for dana axle - 10/29/22 01:31 PM

Interesting question. Aren't those gaskets only like 3 or 4 dollars a piece? shruggy

But the right RTV is a better choice.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Differential gasket for dana axle - 10/29/22 01:50 PM

Look up the dana 60, The 70 uses the same one. This is from the dana parts manual...
34687 Gasket - Carrier Cover
38615 RTV Silicone Sealant

Re: Differential gasket for dana axle - 10/29/22 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by J_BODY

How would I know if its RTV sealed if i'd never taken one apart. They don't teach you anything useful like this in school.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Differential gasket for dana axle - 10/29/22 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by moparjo68

How would I know if its RTV sealed if i'd never taken one apart. They don't teach you anything useful like this in school.

That is why you should have a FSM.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Differential gasket for dana axle - 10/29/22 05:31 PM

Well now you know! I prefer the Mopar gray for this task. Your rear is also coded “DSA”(noted from your build sheet post) limited slip, so be sure to add friction modifier when servicing.
Posted By: A990

Re: Differential gasket for dana axle - 10/29/22 08:21 PM

Well now you know! I prefer the Mopar gray for this task. Your rear is also coded “DSA”(noted from your build sheet post) limited slip, so be sure to add friction modifier when servicing.

Be sure to check the gear lube bottle, when I put a tru-trac in my 9.25, I was surprised at how many brands have friction modifier already added.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Differential gasket for dana axle - 10/29/22 10:35 PM

The 2 really good gaskets I have used are the Superformance and the Lube-Locker. Both gaskets are non wicking and they don't leak. Used Superformance on my own re-builds and my Savoy for about 3 years now with zero leaks. I used a Lube-Locker on my buddies drag car and it also works nice too.
I hate cleaning sealer from surfaces when I can get a nice clean release from a good gasket twocents
Gus beer

Re: Differential gasket for dana axle - 10/30/22 12:55 AM

I like what Im reading about LubeLocker gaskets. I notice its offered for the Dana 60. Will the Dana 60 also fit the Dana 70 as the picture looks identical to what I need?
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Differential gasket for dana axle - 10/30/22 02:17 AM

[quote=moparjo68]I like what Im reading about LubeLocker gaskets. I notice its offered for the Dana 60. Will the Dana 60 also fit the Dana 70 as the picture looks identical to what I need? [/quote

They are listed as the same gasket and I have some gasket packages marked 60-70 use. I have a cast Ultimate 60 cover and I suggest a cast cover when using a gasket. Sometimes sealer will work better with a stock type steel cover though. I have used the Lube Locker with a stamped cover though and I think it's still sealed I haven't heard any complaints from the owner of the car.

Gus beer
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Differential gasket for dana axle - 10/30/22 03:45 PM

I used the premium NAPA gasket with cork/rubber composite & thin steel in the center. And Permatex black goop. Never leaked a drop.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Differential gasket for dana axle - 10/31/22 09:55 PM

25 years ago when I was working at the IH dealer, Dana was subbing RTV for paper gaskets.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Differential gasket for dana axle - 11/01/22 02:11 AM

Dana Corp gaskets work good up scope twocents
© 2024 Moparts Forums