Moparts

Autometer tach poof -- fixed

Posted By: GomangoCuda

Autometer tach poof -- fixed - 10/22/22 05:02 PM

A couple weeks ago I drove to the local cruise and part way there (less than 3 miles) it just quit working. Other than the obvious loose or broken wire what else can go wrong? Do these suddenly go bad? Is there any kind of internal fuse? I will track down the power, ground and trigger wire this afternoon. Hope it's just a blown acc fuse or bad connection. If it is a dead tach, is autometer still the go to brand or is there something else you like?

Thanks
Posted By: topside

Re: Autometer tach poof - 10/22/22 08:25 PM

Never had that issue, and a couple of mine are 30 years old or so.
Even the couple of cheap AutoGage tachs I have seem to be bulletproof.
1st thing to do is check connections & wiring.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Autometer tach poof - fixed - 10/22/22 08:35 PM

Found it. The trigger wire came out of a terminal block under the dash. Easy fix.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Autometer tach poof - fixed - 10/22/22 10:03 PM

Cool was watching to see whast the outcome was.
Always good to see an easy fix
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Autometer tach poof - fixed - 10/22/22 11:43 PM

I had an Autometer Monster tach in the race car, bought it about two years before the car was completed, after about two months of racing it started acting up, not reading correctly and generally erratic. I contacted Autometer, told them the situation and they asked me to send it back to them. They fixed it and sent it back to me free of charge. They are A OK in my book.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Autometer tach poof - fixed - 10/23/22 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
I had an Autometer Monster tach in the race car, bought it about two years before the car was completed, after about two months of racing it started acting up, not reading correctly and generally erratic. I contacted Autometer, told them the situation and they asked me to send it back to them. They fixed it and sent it back to me free of charge. They are A OK in my book.

my experiences were quite the opposite several year back with their top of the line computerized gauge set up. We could not get the speedo to calibrate and hold it. I probably lost over 40 + hours on that issue alone. I even had a scope on it tried both sine and square wave generators, used shielded wire for the signals, ran the separate from other harnesses. They kept sending me modules and speedometers;. I asked to speak with the engineer that designed it and was told they hire consultants so it wasn't possible. Out of frustration, we did what one is not supposed to do which is change more than one thing at a time, ( In this case it was 3). It started working and I had no desire to go back and try to figure out which of the 3 did the trick. shruggy i still have a box full of modules and speedos beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums