Moparts

Instrument cluster light and fuel gauge issue

Posted By: WS68SSC

Instrument cluster light and fuel gauge issue - 10/14/22 09:01 PM

I recently changed my fuel gauge because the needle kept moving past F after the car started. (1968 Dodge Dart)

After I reinstalled the instrument cluster I noticed that the dash lights do not turn on, the left turn signal indicator light is permanently on (not flashing). and the fuel gauge is needle is still buried past the F still.

Has anyone experience this issue? Bad ground possibly?

I purchased a new voltage limiter and dash light bulbs which came with new sockets also. I am going to replace everything tonight. Just thought I would see if there was something else that I might have missed.

Thanks for the help moparts!
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Instrument cluster light and fuel gauge issue - 10/14/22 09:27 PM

full mark will mean that the power wire is broken or grounded between the gauge and the sender, check that separately before you tackle the cluster lights
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Instrument cluster light and fuel gauge issue - 10/14/22 10:15 PM

Cluster grounds through the mounting screws.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Instrument cluster light and fuel gauge issue - 10/15/22 01:07 AM

lights are independent of the gauges.
they feed through the light switch.

vr for the cluster does the temp and fuel gauge, so it is unlikely to be the problem.

the light that stays on is probably a ground issue, or backfeed issue somewhere else.

it may be 3 different things.

I agree, check for a pinched wire for the fuel gauge.
make sure your dimmer is turned up for the dash lights.
recheck your grounds /screws for the light that is still on.
Posted By: WS68SSC

Re: Instrument cluster light and fuel gauge issue - 10/21/22 02:28 AM

Replaced the bulbs, voltage limiter, checked for pinched lines, and checked that ground screws. Still the same issue.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Instrument cluster light and fuel gauge issue - 10/21/22 08:48 AM

The sender may be bad. A full reading on the gauge would be near 0 ohms from the sender. Something is grounded, either the wire or the sender. As for the dash lights, check you fuses and all the other bulbs. I have seen were a park lamp filament lays across a turn signal/brake light filament and causes weird backfeeds.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Instrument cluster light and fuel gauge issue - 10/21/22 12:21 PM

If you suspect a pinched wire to the gas tank sender, pull the IVR and the connection to the sender and take a resistance test between the sender wire and ground.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Instrument cluster light and fuel gauge issue - 10/21/22 04:20 PM

I'll agree you may have 2 or 3 issues but if I understand correctly you started with 1 being the fuel gauge. So I would back track and try to figure out what is causing the other two issues which sound A LOT like a ground problem. Once that is resolved I would go back to the fuel gauge which again, I'll agree sounds like a grounded sending connection or wire. One can disconnect the wire at the sending unit or preferably at either the rear harness connector or instrument panel connector until the other two issues are resolved. Doing so will also allow you to ohm out each section of the harness.
Might also wat to look at this post
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...temperature-gauge-issue.html#Post3086628

keep us posted beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums