Moparts

71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR

Posted By: GTX JIM

71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 05:37 AM

Hello, I'm new here and have a question for everyone. I have a rust free #'s matching 71 gtx that is an original gun metal gray, black vinyl top, black interior car that was repainted sassy grass green but is a poor quality job. I'm in the prosess of having it sanded down to bare metal to start fresh and I do intend to sell the car. So the ? is would I be beter off painting it ev2 hemi orange with no vinyl top and front and rear spoilers or back to original? The reason I am asking is I have been told my cars color is rare because no one liked it and it would probably be hard to sell it that color? Any input would help me out alot.

Thanks, Jim
Posted By: 440trk

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 05:46 AM

Personally, I'd stick with the original Gunmetal. LOTS of EV2 cars at shows...and I actually like the gunmetal better anyway. (and it's different)

Are you planning on selling the car? If the car is original,changing color will hurt the value.
I guess a better question is... if you're gonna flip the car, why bother restoring it in the first place? Sell it to someone who likes the car, and let them decide.
Posted By: Iceman01

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 05:46 AM

I would think quite the opposite, particularly in this market. The nicest, most original cars are usually the ones that hold their value. No question it should be put back to original.
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 08:50 AM

Restore the car back to it's original color .
Painting a collectable car the wrong color, hurts the value in my opinion.

Greg

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 14 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955
Posted By: HPMike

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 10:20 AM

Paint the car grey. It's a terrific color.

And think of it this way. If you don't paint it orange, you won't have to answer all of the fools that think that every orange Mopar is the General Lee.

MB
Posted By: cdp

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 10:42 AM

My old GTX was gold/amber gold interior.

This is what it looks like now.

Which do you think draws more attention?

I like gunmetal gray, but its not really an eye catcher.

Changing the color did NOT hurt the value of this car. It sold for full price last year.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/36887.html

Not everyone is a purist.

Attached picture 5167660-71ply36887-1.jpg
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 11:22 AM

Gunmetal. Cool color. I have a 71 Sebring Plus that Gunmetal.
Posted By: fc7freak

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 12:18 PM

Gunmetal Gray looks really nice if it is a quality paint job. No, it is not as good a color as Sassy Grass. I would go with the orginal color unless you hate the Gunmetal Gray. Its tuff to paint a car to a color you do not like. See Ya!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 01:34 PM

Gunmetal Gray....IMHO is rather "lackluster".........nothing looks more sinister than a Black 71/2 Plymouth B bodie..........The ol "wives tale" a color change will hurt it's resale value,....is just that!, the only way a color change "hurts" resale is when it's truly custom, or off the wall color

Attached picture 5167843-blkgtx.jpg
Posted By: Blown71X

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 01:48 PM

Personally I think the Gun metal looks good and is something refreshingly different if done correctly....That said..I`m painting my wifes 71 cuda that was originally Winchester gray with billboards...Moulin Rough (panther pink in dodge speak) because SHE wants it that way, it`s her car and in the big picture, it is just paint.

Rick
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 02:19 PM

Quote:

Gunmetal Gray....IMHO is rather "lackluster".........nothing looks more sinister than a Black 71/2 Plymouth B bodie..........The ol "wives tale" a color change will hurt it's resale value,....is just that!, the only way a color change "hurts" resale is when it's truly custom, or off the wall color

I disagree, too much of a blanket statement. What do you think would happen to a "real" hemi Cuda convetible if the color was changed? For the average everymans resto a color change will not hurt the value but you definetly cant say it across the board.

As far as the original post, I love Gun Metal Grey!
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 02:25 PM

GA4 Lackluster? I couldn’t disagree more.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 02:31 PM

Keep it original it will look fantastic.
Posted By: burdar

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 02:36 PM

You can probablly guess my choise.

Attached picture 5167938-5116147-IMG_1236%5B1%5D%283%29[1].jpg
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 02:50 PM

Quote:

Restore the car back to it's original color .
Painting a collectable car the wrong color, hurts the value in my opinion.

Greg

Wards Classic Car Radio Repair Specializing in restoration and sales of Mopar A B E body radios
We can restore YOUR radio usually in less than 14 days
Visit our NEW website..
http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com
gregward@mchsi.com
phone 256-852-0955

1st off, you can never go wrong painting a collectable car the original color, especially if you intend to sell

2ndly gun metal grey is a GREAT color. There are lots of colors that didn't sell well in 1971 that sell well today......metallic grey and silver are good examples of that.

Dave
Posted By: MRVCODE

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 06:12 PM

Gun metal gray is an awesome color, & when painted correctly it looks great.
Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 07:07 PM

100% agree - go with Gun Metal. It looks great when done right and will make your car stand out in the crowd of Hemi Orange B-Bodies
Posted By: ewolfe

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 07:20 PM

Gunmetal is the way to go. Do it right and it will not be lackluster.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 07:23 PM

Quote:

Personally, I'd stick with the original Gunmetal. LOTS of EV2 cars at shows...

Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 07:37 PM

Quote:

Gunmetal is the way to go. Do it right and it will not be lackluster.

Even though Gunmetal isn't my absolute first pick of colors, it really does look good when done properly.
You know, a really good basecoat/clearcoat paint job.
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 07:44 PM

what about grey body, orange top,and lime green interior? then everybody would be happy..keep it original,then no excuses,its a nice color! let it NOT blend in with all the other colors,imho.
Posted By: patrick

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 07:47 PM

I like the gunmetal grey, I think it stands out in a sea of HIP colors at shows. if it has stripes on it, you could make it "pop" a bit by doing red stripes instead of black...
Posted By: paris401

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 10:17 PM

Quote:

Changing the color did NOT hurt the value of this car. It sold for full price last year.

agree a gold 71 is (imo) one of the ugliest colors ever...
Posted By: GoodfellaHenry70

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 10:38 PM

Hi Guys,

Alot of your replies are insisting on "Gunmetal Gray", assuming 1971 GA4 "Light Gunmetal Gray" for Dodge and "Winchester Gray" for plymouth, yes, nice color when done correctly.

Does Anyone have Any pics of 1971 GA8 "Dark Gunmetal Gray" for dodge and "Slate Gray Poly" for Plymouth ???

I think think this attached pic is the only one i've seen of "GA8 Dark Gunmetal Gray".

Appreciate your thoughts, I like this color better than the A4, as it appears to have a bit more blue to it. ??

Attached picture 5168802-71.jpg

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 11:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I like gold

....one of my favorites, actually. Oh well, like they say about opinions (and bellybuttons)...

Dave
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 11:16 PM

Quote:

where ya been?
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 11:31 PM

Quote:

Hi Guys,

Alot of your replies are insisting on "Gunmetal Gray", assuming 1971 GA4 "Light Gunmetal Gray" for Dodge and "Winchester Gray" for plymouth, yes, nice color when done correctly.

Does Anyone have Any pics of 1971 GA8 "Dark Gunmetal Gray" for dodge and "Slate Gray Poly" for Plymouth ???

I think think this attached pic is the only one i've seen of "GA8 Dark Gunmetal Gray".

Appreciate your thoughts, I like this color better than the A4, as it appears to have a bit more blue to it. ??

The '71 Charger R/T at Harwell Motors in TX is GA4, it use to be owned by a Moparts member. Lighting plays games with its appearance.

GA8 would be a c-body "only" color.

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/16/09 11:54 PM

Hi Dan,

I'll take your word on the above charger pic (Damn lighting playing games with me).

I'm looking at an original paint chip sampler from 1971 and yes, chrysler and plymouth A8 are called Slate gray poly(dodge="dark gunmetal gray"), just as chrysler and plymouth A4 is called Winchester gray(dodge=Light gunmetal gray).

Both A4 & A8 are listed as paint colors available for 71 DODGE, Plymouth and Crysler.

Are you 100% sure that A8 was Never used on a 71 Dodge or Plymouth?
Posted By: Runner

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/17/09 12:01 AM

Quote:

GA4 Lackluster? I couldn’t disagree more.

WOW that looks fantastic!!!

i guess if your planning on selling the car paint it what ever will bring you the most money, if you planning on keeping the car paint it whatever color makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/17/09 12:15 AM

Quote:

Hi Dan,

I'll take your word on the above charger pic (Damn lighting playing games with me).

I'm looking at an original paint chip sampler from 1971 and yes, chrysler and plymouth A8 are called Slate gray poly(dodge="dark gunmetal gray"), just as chrysler and plymouth A4 is called Winchester gray(dodge=Light gunmetal gray).

Both A4 & A8 are listed as paint colors available for 71 DODGE, Plymouth and Crysler.

Are you 100% sure that A8 was Never used on a 71 Dodge or Plymouth?

It (GA8) was used Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, and Imperial; but only on full size cars.
Here's a link to the factory "paint chip" pages at Hamtramck-Historical.
I'm not saying it was never on an A,B, or E-body; but it would've been a special order color (probably 999).

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/17/09 03:05 AM

Dan, I appreciate the Linky to the "Dated" Paint info. Keyword: Dated.

I'm finding a few inaccuracies in the pages, most notably the either lack of listing FY1 Yellow on some pages and just plain saying FY1 Lemon Twist/Top Banana wasn't available in Dodge or Plymouth (Check All Pages before replys).

Thanks again though for posting the link.

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/17/09 03:44 AM

At the begining of the model year FY1 was NOT an available color. It was re-introduced during the model year. Just as GB7 was NOT available for the full year, it was "dropped".

Have you ever seen a GA8 A, B, or E-body? or what are you trying to say?
Posted By: 70SWGR

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/17/09 03:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I like gold

....one of my favorites, actually. Oh well, like they say about opinions (and bellybuttons)...

Dave

Me too!

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/17/09 04:46 AM

QUOTE: Have you ever seen a GA8 A, B, or E-body? or what are you trying to say?

Nope, I haven't. I thought I did. I'll keep looking though.

Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/17/09 05:44 AM

FWIW...

Attached picture 5169656-71_Dodge_colors_600.jpg
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/17/09 05:47 AM

Attached picture 5169661-71_Dodge_colors_2_600.jpg
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/17/09 09:50 PM

The ol "wives tale" a color change will hurt it's resale value,....is just that!, the only way a color change "hurts" resale is when it's truly custom, or off the wall color

I disagree, too much of a blanket statement. What do you think would happen to a "real" hemi Cuda convetible if the color was changed? For the average everymans resto a color change will not hurt the value but you definetly cant say it across the board.

I know some guys are "wrapped" up in the numbers, all original "thing".......which is OK,........but after reading your comment on "what would happen to a "real" Hemicuda convertible, if the color was changed"......reminded me of this particular 1970 ""REAL"" Hemicuda convertible, 1 of 5 4spds, custom painted 38+ years ago in metalflake,flames,scallops,etc,etc,......purchased in 2000 for $465,000,.....later sold in 2007 for 1.8 Millon dollars.... untouched, never restored.......I don't think the "repaint" hurt the value of this car, infact it may have even elevated it's price, .....seeing that the highest paid for any 1970 Hemicuda vert, was 2.2 Million dollars,(Weiman) only because it was a former Mag roadtest car, and the first Hemicuda photographed and released to the public in late 69....

Attached picture 5170759-CustomCuda.JPG

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/17/09 11:13 PM

Quote:

The ol "wives tale" a color change will hurt it's resale value,....is just that!, the only way a color change "hurts" resale is when it's truly custom, or off the wall color

I know some guys are "wrapped" up in the numbers, all original "thing".......which is OK,........but after reading your comment on "what would happen to a "real" Hemicuda convertible, if the color was changed"......reminded me of this particular 1970 ""REAL"" Hemicuda convertible, 1 of 5 4spds, custom painted 38+ years ago in metalflake,flames,scallops,etc,etc,......purchased in 2000 for $465,000,.....later sold in 2007 for 1.8 Millon dollars.... untouched, never restored.......I don't think the "repaint" hurt the value of this car, infact it may have even elevated it's price, .....seeing that the highest paid for any 1970 Hemicuda vert, was 2.2 Million dollars,(Weiman) only because it was a former Mag roadtest car, and the first Hemicuda photographed and released to the public in late 69....

That's pure speculation Mike. In addition, a 38 year old custom paint job has it's own fan club and it's a completely different situation from a freshly repainted rotisserie job. Hemicuda verts make a bad analogy since they are so rare and so expensive that the pricing is set by the (as Johnrr would say) the

If you take two regular collector cars that are identical; lets say a pair of equal optioned '70 V code Roadrunners and they were both original FY1 cars and one is repainted FE5 instead, I think you'd have a pretty hard time convincing me the red car would get the same money or appeal to as many potential buyers.

Nothing against people that want to customize thier cars or whatever, but if it's a collector car and resale value is an issue (it usually is, eventually) then most times painting the car the original color is a no-brainer.

my 2 pennies

Dave
Posted By: basketcase

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/18/09 01:14 AM

stay with the original color. Winchester Grey is an awsome colr, and pictures don't do it justice.
Posted By: 69superbee383

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/18/09 01:17 AM

Well we all know Green is the all time most popular Mopar color.

Personally I would keep it GA 4. I really like that color.
Posted By: lakerism

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/18/09 03:49 AM

GA4 is my pick, just about my favorite color

Attached picture 5171484-Carpictures042.jpg
Posted By: moparmatt

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/19/09 08:58 PM

Oh this is a "NO BRAINER" GA4 Lt. Gunmetal (Dodge) Winchester Grey (Plymouth) is the coolest classiest color they ever used!! It was initially slated for Imperials only and someone somewhere liked it? It is very rare also. My 71'R/T in my signature pic is Lt. Gunmetal and I have been at numerous shows next to plum cars, hemi orange you name it and the car always gets more comments especially from the ladies? than the others! Go with the GA4 Classy MUSCLE!!

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/19/09 10:20 PM

hey limelite... i've been around, but was banned for questionable behavior...

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/19/09 10:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I like gold

Dave

i agree opinions are like..(fill in the blank)... mine is gold is "UGLY"

Attached picture 5174621-drivers_side_shot_[1].jpg
Posted By: Ts road runner

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/20/09 03:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I like gold

Dave

Me too!

Me three

Attached picture 5175432-lakephotorr2.jpg
Posted By: CurYellowBird

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/20/09 04:06 AM

Jim,

IMO you should definately keep the gunmetal gray paint job. I'm in the process of restoring my 71' roadrunner that was origionally curious yellow. Gun metal gray is an awesome color with a little metallic in the sunlight. And with the GTX's and Roadrunner's being the pedigree of plymouth cars, not disrespecting anyone elses ride, it is smart to keep the origional color so it'll match the fender tag.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 71 GTX- PAINT ORG. OR A DESIREABLE COLOR - 04/20/09 04:58 AM

Change the color. The grey is a zzz color and blends in too much with the sea of modern cars out there. A muscle car should stand out, not blend in on the street with all the new cars.
© 2024 Moparts Forums