Moparts

Compression fitting to splice brake line?

Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 12:48 AM

Would you guys trust a compression fitting if you needed to splice any of your brake lines?
Thanks,
- Art
Posted By: TJP

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by 67SATisfaction
Would you guys trust a compression fitting if you needed to splice any of your brake lines?
Thanks,
- Art

I have heard there are some that will take the pressure but you're not going to find them at the local hardware store. Just an FYI: hydraulic pressures in a brake system can exceed 2500 PSI. Myself, to answer your question NO tsk
beer
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 01:18 AM

Could you do it ? sure I've done it myself before BUT that was when I was a young newlywed with a baby to feed and I was broke. Now I wouldn't do it though twocents

Gus beer
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 01:59 AM

Thanks,
- Art

Mmm, no.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 02:11 AM

I have done it but am much older and wiser now !!
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 02:20 AM

Don’t.

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 02:21 AM

Thanks guys, thumbs
I will never trust that shop owner again. A reputable guy too, in the vintage/exotic restoration business in the Northwest. Sold me a car recently, I bought it sight unseen, with plenty of emailed photos, but I was also relying heavily on his reputation.

The car failed its state inspection, and the compression fitting was one of several fails - the mechanic explained the same thing about pressure capacity. I think he said compression fittings are rated to 850psi, but brake systems are upwards of 2500. Thank you for letting me just double check whether anyone else used them as a common fix.

The other Fails were due to lack of cotter pins at all steering linkage castle nuts, and worn out tie-rod ends.
None of these issues are difficult or complicated, but that just amplifies the guy's sloppy work and poor service mindedness.

Live and learn,
- Art
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 02:22 AM

Why go that apparently easy route, when a nice flare fitting would do fine?

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by PhillyRag
Why go that apparently easy route, when a nice flare fitting would do fine?

Exactly - I'm good at this kind of work, it'll take me maybe an hour to fix it, then refill and bleed the system.. So why didn't he do it right the first time? What a crap work ethic - not to mention liability.

Posted By: 83hurstguy

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 03:36 AM

If it’s a swagelok, parker, or yor-lok fitting, it’s likely fine pending proper install. Cheap hardware store brass compression fittings won’t cut it. The good ones are rated for high pressure.

https://www.mcmaster.com/yor-lok-fittings/yor-lok-fittings-for-steel-tubing-7/
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 05:35 AM

Thanks,
- Art
Never, do you want to kill yourself or someone you love or don't know?
Buy the proper tools and learn how to use them the correct way or buy the best premade lines you can get twocents scope wrench up
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 05:38 AM

I will be honest. I see plenty of hilljacks, shade trees, guys too dumb to use a flaring tool and the "aww, I do it all the time, never had a problem" guys do it, even after being told not to.

The answer is no. Everytime.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
If it’s a swagelok, parker, or yor-lok fitting, it’s likely fine pending proper install. Cheap hardware store brass compression fittings won’t cut it. The good ones are rated for high pressure.

https://www.mcmaster.com/yor-lok-fittings/yor-lok-fittings-for-steel-tubing-7/

Absolutely true. I routinely worked with Parker CPI fittings for years in power plants at pressures up to 3500 psig. The problem is that most of these higher quality fittings are stainless steel rather than steel so you would have a materials compatibly issue.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 01:43 PM

Compression fittings should not be used on brake lines. I agree.

But here's the reality: I have seen plenty of them used on brake lines for the better part of 45 years and don't remember seeing a single failure due to the fitting itself. Rusty or scaly lines where they cannot grip properly is a different matter. But I have not personally seen a fitting connection fail that wasn't compromised in some other way.

I have however, seen many double flare connections fail. Usually due to poor workmanship. They take practice and a good tool. Often both can be lacking.

Not an endorsement for using compression fittings on brake lines, just my experience.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/26/22 02:20 PM

Compression fittings on brake likes are a big inspection fail. With the rest of the issues that are pretty basic things it sounds like that's a pretty shady shop to allow that quality or work to go out.
Posted By: GarageDodge

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/27/22 12:35 AM

in nys compression fittings are a reason to fail inspection,they should not be used on a brake line.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Compression fitting to splice brake line? - 09/27/22 01:21 AM

Thanks guys, thumbs
I will never trust that shop owner again. A reputable guy too, in the vintage/exotic restoration business in the Northwest. Sold me a car recently, I bought it sight unseen, with plenty of emailed photos, but I was also relying heavily on his reputation.

The car failed its state inspection, and the compression fitting was one of several fails - the mechanic explained the same thing about pressure capacity. I think he said compression fittings are rated to 850psi, but brake systems are upwards of 2500. Thank you for letting me just double check whether anyone else used them as a common fix.

The other Fails were due to lack of cotter pins at all steering linkage castle nuts, and worn out tie-rod ends.
None of these issues are difficult or complicated, but that just amplifies the guy's sloppy work and poor service mindedness.

Live and learn,
- Art

FWIW, I have seen all of the above and more on 200K BJ show ponies as well as others wink
© 2024 Moparts Forums