Moparts

Distributor Shaft Collar ??

Posted By: B5TA

Distributor Shaft Collar ?? - 09/12/22 04:53 PM

So what are your thoughts about using a locking collar on the distributor shat above the intermediate shaft ??? Thanks, Kevin
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Distributor Shaft Collar ?? - 09/12/22 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by B5TA
So what are your thoughts about using a locking collar on the distributor shat above the intermediate shaft ??? Thanks, Kevin

People have been doing that for a long time.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Distributor Shaft Collar ?? - 09/12/22 05:45 PM

cheap to buy at your local hardware store [Ace Hardware at the end of my block has them. up] or home improvement store.
beer
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Distributor Shaft Collar ?? - 09/12/22 08:58 PM

not needed on B-RB, cam forces shaft/gear down, unless your warred about spark scatter when letting off gas
Posted By: GY3

Re: Distributor Shaft Collar ?? - 09/12/22 09:15 PM

If you want to increase or decrease the play in the shaft, buy the Hillman nylon collar and drill it for the clearance you want. shruggy

Attached picture nylon collar.png
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Distributor Shaft Collar ?? - 09/12/22 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
If you want to increase or decrease the play in the shaft, buy the Hillman nylon collar and drill it for the clearance you want. shruggy

The idea of the locking collar is more to keep the intermediate shaft in place saving from timming jumping more than dist axial play
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Distributor Shaft Collar ?? - 09/12/22 10:38 PM

i graduated from the collar nonsense a couple of decades ago. ironically it took a chevy guy to explain to me how the helix on the intermediate gear worked. the thrust is down not up. i have made shims to take end play out of the shaft. if you have erratic timing more likely than not the intermediate shat bushing is wore out.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Distributor Shaft Collar ?? - 09/12/22 10:51 PM

I have always used a piece of hydraulic hose just long enough to keep a little pressure between the 2 shafts. May not help anything, but it can't hurt either.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Distributor Shaft Collar ?? - 09/12/22 11:47 PM

I bought some metal collars years ago from a stock racer.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Distributor Shaft Collar ?? - 09/13/22 01:58 PM

Slick idea on the hose, Dave. Much easier fix than fiddling with a collar.

Joe
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Distributor Shaft Collar ?? - 09/13/22 04:13 PM

Thank you.
© 2024 Moparts Forums