Moparts

Disc brake spindles

Posted By: Rasmus Vestlin

Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 10:56 AM

Hello,

I am switching from my Rightstuff 4 wheel disc kit to willwood disc kit on my -70 dodge challenger. I was hoping that i could use the spindles i got from Rightstuff, but it seems that the shaft is bigger and the bearing is smaller on the willwood kit. So it wont slide on the spindles.

I think i need to find and mount OEM spindles to make it fit, the problem is.. where can i find orginal disc brake spindles to a -70 challenger? All help is really helpfull! I live in Sweden so finding orginal parts is a bit harder here. The first picture is on the messurment on the spindle shaft and the other is the messurment on the willwood bearing.

Thanks!

Attached picture BC7C6490-5E90-44C3-9F54-AF9989786537.jpeg
Attached picture D8131987-014D-4515-B73F-58B30DC139B4.jpeg
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 11:30 AM

Might be easier and cheaper to have a machine shop modify your spindles.

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Might be easier and cheaper to have a machine shop modify your spindles.

If i cant find orginal disc brake spindles, maybe i Will do it. But i dont know if its anything more that is different on rightstuff spindle contra an orginal one. Would be waste of time to get it machined and then something else dosnt work.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 12:27 PM

I thought one of the Wilwood kits required the use of a stock drum spindle.

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by burdar
I thought one of the Wilwood kits required the use of a stock drum spindle.

Yes they sell to use with factory drumbrakes cars and also to cars with factory discbrake spindles. But i was stupid and sold my orginal discbrake spindles years ago, then i bought the rightstuff kit and got theirs spindles. But they are not the same as the originals apperntly.
Posted By: cudazappa

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 12:40 PM

It looks like the rightstuff kit uses the 73+ spindle. Do you have the option of exchanging your wilwood kit for one that will work with a 73+ factory disc spindle?

I have 1 70-72 spindle I've been tripping over for years, i don't even remember which side now.

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by cudazappa
It looks like the rightstuff kit uses the 73+ spindle. Do you have the option of exchanging your wilwood kit for one that will work with a 73+ factory disc spindle?

I have 1 70-72 spindle I've been tripping over for years, i don't even remember which side now.

Yes that is what iam thinking to.. i wonder why willwood dosnt sell their stuff with the larger bearing as from 73 and up?.. i cant send it back.. its to much trouble with shipment and cost.. do you think it would be possible to machine down the right stuff spindle so its the same size as the 70-72 spindles? I would buy them of you but i need both sides smirk
Posted By: second 70

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 04:09 PM

Dr. Diff

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by second 70
Dr. Diff

What about him? Do he sell 70-72 spindles?
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rasmus Vestlin
Dr. Diff

he might, or he might have an adapter bearing you can use instead of having to buy whole spindles.
check his website and email him.
https://www.doctordiff.com/
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 04:48 PM

The early spindles with the small bearings are fairly easy to find. Post a parts wanted ad and you find plenty. I used to have boxes of those things but I've scrapped most of that stuff over the years.

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Andrewh
Originally Posted by Rasmus Vestlin
Dr. Diff

he might, or he might have an adapter bearing you can use instead of having to buy whole spindles.
check his website and email him.
https://www.doctordiff.com/

Okey i have mailed him now and asked!

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
The early spindles with the small bearings are fairly easy to find. Post a parts wanted ad and you find plenty. I used to have boxes of those things but I've scrapped most of that stuff over the years.

Okey Will try that, bummer that you dont have any pair left..

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 08:21 PM

Is it dangerus to machine down my spindles to fit smaller bearing? Or do you think it will be fine? 🧐 dont want it to break.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 09:01 PM

Why not get the larger hat from Willwood?
Aren't those 2-piece rotors?

Re: Disc brake spindles - 09/08/22 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by BDW
Why not get the larger hat from Willwood?
Aren't those 2-piece rotors?

Didnt think of that, but will the 11” rotors fit a larger hat then? They are 2-piece rotors.
© 2024 Moparts Forums