Moparts

Do I need longer wheel studs?

Posted By: bacaruda

Do I need longer wheel studs? - 09/07/22 01:36 PM

2009 Dodge 1500. I've had these 305/50-20 tires on stock wheels for 2 or 3 years. I noticed the other day they have been rubbing the
end of the upper a-arm. Made a shallow groove, not to the cord. I think 1/4" spacer would take care. Would I need longer wheel studs for just 1/4"?
Thanks,
Jim.
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Do I need longer wheel studs? - 09/07/22 06:44 PM

I don’t know the length of the stock studs on your truck, but the general rule and concesus is that the thread engagement of the lug nut has to be atleast the diameter of the stud. So, if it is a 1/2” dia stud, the nut/lug has to thread into atleast 1/2” of thread. I like to have more on mine personally though just for additional peace of mind. Although probably not needed.

Re: Do I need longer wheel studs? - 09/07/22 08:11 PM

I'll be able to check that in a couple of days, thanks.

Jim.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Do I need longer wheel studs? - 09/07/22 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by bacaruda
I'll be able to check that in a couple of days, thanks.

Jim.

Be sure to check the depth of the wheel hub, you don't want the wheel hub forced outside it. Most are VERY narrow.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Do I need longer wheel studs? - 09/08/22 04:32 AM

The Ram trucks use l-o-n-g wheel studs. I think they are 9/16" by the way.
My 2007 does, anyway. You are okay to use a 1/4" spacer.

Re: Do I need longer wheel studs? - 09/08/22 01:59 PM

Thanks
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Do I need longer wheel studs? - 09/08/22 02:24 PM

you want the stud to go into the hex part of the nut at least the diameter of the stud
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Do I need longer wheel studs? - 09/08/22 03:12 PM

The general rule is 1 diameter of engagement but I don't feel comfortable with that, especially on wheel studs.

I myself like to see at least 2 threads past the ends of the threads of the nut being used , if you can see any threads of the nut then you should seriously think about replacing the studs with longer studs if they are available.

Re: Do I need longer wheel studs? - 09/09/22 05:29 PM

The nuts are stock Dodge closed end.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Do I need longer wheel studs? - 09/10/22 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by bacaruda
The nuts are stock Dodge closed end.

So put your spacer on, put the wheel on, and put a couple lug nuts on across the wheel from each other, snug enough to hold the wheel tight against the hub/spacer. Then measure how much the stud between your two lugs sticks up above the wheel. If what is sticking up above the wheel is at least the diameter of the stud, you are good to go. If the stud sticking up above the wheel is not at least the diameter of the stud, get longer studs.

The problem with too long of a stud is the stud will poke through the top of the closed nut as its torqued down, if the stud is too long. That tin cover on the lug nut will fail under the torque applied to the lug nut in a heart beat, you probably won't even feel it or know it happened until you remove the socket.
© 2024 Moparts Forums