Moparts

What brand sealed hub bearings?

Posted By: larrymopar360

What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/30/22 12:28 AM

It just seems like such a crap shoot picking a brand. I'm buying sealed hub bearings for my 2010 Charger. Timken are $76 per, Mivotech $29 per, and Moog (Rockauto closeout) $44 per. I'm most tempted to just pay for the Timken as I've used them in the past but things might have changed since then. What would you do?
Posted By: charge70

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/30/22 12:53 AM

I've had very good luck with SKF bearings.If you look around you should be able to find them.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/30/22 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
It just seems like such a crap shoot picking a brand. I'm buying sealed hub bearings for my 2010 Charger. Timken are $76 per, Mivotech $29 per, and Moog (Rockauto closeout) $44 per. I'm most tempted to just pay for the Timken as I've used them in the past but things might have changed since then. What would you do?

I would bypass Moog it's going to be junk going by what I've bought recently , Mevotech is a good alternative , they are NOT getting their stuff from the same cheap chinese junk suppliers that most all places get them from ... Go with whatever offers the best warranty , you know it last at least that long.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/30/22 01:28 PM

I'd buy the OEM.

OEM Hub Bearing
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/30/22 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
I'd buy the OEM.

OEM Hub Bearing

I was going to suggest that because it last whatever miles he has .... then I saw the price ... help

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/30/22 02:08 PM

I've been hearing good stuff about Mivotech suspension parts. I'll have to look up SFK. Moog has disappointed lately.

I always try to go OEM on this car but yeah, that price might keep me from doing so.

Thanks all,

Larry

p.s. Rockauto has the SFK for $73 per. I wish they had the OEM. Maybe it'd be cheaper.
Posted By: therocks

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/30/22 03:33 PM

At work we only used the cheaper bearings if the customer insisted Had too many go bad and we made them sign off on no warranty.No need to buy OE as they are just made usually by timken or skf.Just use the better bearings.Remember factory dosent make all the parts they use and sell as theirs
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/30/22 06:54 PM

I only buy Timkens if available. Never had an issue with them.
Posted By: MoonshineMattK

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/30/22 07:08 PM

Timken is the gold standard
SKF, Carquest premium, Napa's Premium line are all nice
Haven't used a ton of Mivotech but so far so good
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/31/22 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
I'd buy the OEM.

OEM Hub Bearing

Wow....they're proud of them! I had an 04 Ram that crapped both front hub bearings before 60k. Not sure I'd pay that money for OEM junk. Just my twocents
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/31/22 02:48 AM

If you buy Timken open the box before you buy them. Last set I bought were cheap generic no name bearings in expensive Timken boxes. Won't do that again.
Posted By: moparx

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/31/22 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
If you buy Timken open the box before you buy them. Last set I bought were cheap generic no name bearings in expensive Timken boxes. Won't do that again.

recently bought a pair of timken bearings to refresh the spindle shaft of a bridgeport, as they were original equipment to the mill.
they were made in bangladesh. i told the guy at the bearing company, if these things wear out in a couple of years, they were coming back !
the original bearings lasted until now, and the bridgeport i was working on was made in the 1950's.
beer

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/31/22 06:39 PM

I emailed Timken with the part number a couple days ago asking what was the country of manufacture. Hoping they will respond. I have to buy them online. Once I emailed Moog asking the same regarding 11/16th tie rods for my old police car and they actually responded within a couple of days.
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 08/31/22 08:07 PM

OEM

Attached picture 20220831_154732[1].jpg
Posted By: MoonshineMattK

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 09/01/22 05:25 PM

That is truly disheartening
Posted By: Luvcars69

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 09/05/22 03:29 PM

First this to do is make sure to fill with a good quality wheel bearing grease. I work on Charger Pursuits & have no problem getting 150k out of them as long as they are kept greased
Posted By: ervin jason

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 09/05/22 07:43 PM

I've had very good luck with SKF bearings.If you look around you should be able to find them.

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 09/05/22 09:58 PM

Thank you both for the info. I definitely grease them first up

The last one I had went at around 80k miles, also a 2010 Pursuit. I don't know well greased from factory. I'm getting ready to do brakes on this one with 87k miles and just want to do them at same time even though they aren't making noise or showing any other issue. Just rather do it now and be done with it. I usually do things before they present problem up

The 5.7 is quiet and smooth despite the idle/total hours.
Posted By: Hannan

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 12/20/22 04:50 PM

Thank you both for the info. I definitely grease them first

The last one I had went at around 80k miles, also a 2010 Pursuit. I don't know well greased from factory. I'm getting ready video editor to do brakes on this one with 87k miles and just want to do them at same time even though they aren't making noise or showing any other issue. Just rather do it now and be done with it
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 12/20/22 06:35 PM

Lots of this kind of crap going on. People buy the cheap ones and the expensive brand parts, put the cheap ones in the expensive box and return them.

I got two cams and a set of pistons that way from amazon a couple months ago. Pistons were used OEM that had been spray painted silver rather than the KB's I paid for.

There are parts on Ebay labeled as Mopar but are obvious chinese crap. People just print the labels up and slap it on anything.

Too many thieves out there now a days.

All that said, I use real Timken bearings exclusively if I can get them.
Posted By: OrangeProwler

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 12/23/22 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by mgoblue9798

Lots of this kind of crap going on. People buy the cheap ones and the expensive brand parts, put the cheap ones in the expensive box and return them.

I got two cams and a set of pistons that way from amazon a couple months ago. Pistons were used OEM that had been spray painted silver rather than the KB's I paid for.

There are parts on Ebay labeled as Mopar but are obvious chinese crap. People just print the labels up and slap it on anything.

Too many thieves out there now a days.

All that said, I use real Timken bearings exclusively if I can get them.

Wow, that's just crazy.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 12/23/22 08:24 PM

I sure wouldn't pay up for the OEM parts. If there were any good, you wouldn't be replacing it now. They are designed to fail so that you want to buy a new vehicle.

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 12/23/22 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
I sure wouldn't pay up for the OEM parts. If there were any good, you wouldn't be replacing it now. They are designed to fail so that you want to buy a new vehicle.

I understand this sentiment, but on my former Pursuit they went bad around this mileage and since I was doing a brake anyway so much easier to just do it then. I like staying ahead on maintenance stuff. Also Barry70GTX was super kind and sent the OEM one's he had for practically free!!! Good guy!!! So I did the hubs and break job (Power Stop rotors, pads and four calipers because coincidently two days before I was going to do it anyway one caliper locked up).

Thanks,

Larry
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 12/24/22 11:45 PM

I've had pretty poor luck with the SKF unit bearings on both my one ton and my jeep. I have the mevotechs on the one ton now and the parts master on the jeep.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 12/25/22 11:36 AM

When an OEM part is recommended- keep in mind it doesn't has to be from your local dealer. Many dealers in the nation heavily discount their parts and sell online. My local Toyota dealer is crazy expensive. But McGeorge Toyota in Richmond Virginia is significantly less in $ than my local dealer. (I'm in Holland MI)

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 12/25/22 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2boltmain
When an OEM part is recommended- keep in mind it doesn't has to be from your local dealer. Many dealers in the nation heavily discount their parts and sell online. My local Toyota dealer is crazy expensive. But McGeorge Toyota in Richmond Virginia is significantly less in $ than my local dealer. (I'm in Holland MI)
I rarely buy OEM stuff from my local dealership. Online as you wrote much cheaper. I have bought once or twice recently from dealership only because I found out I needed something while I was doing another job and wanted it now while I had access to the part.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: What brand sealed hub bearings? - 12/26/22 03:15 PM

There are parts on Ebay labeled as Mopar but are obvious chinese crap.

The Chinese will try to copy anything they can make a buck on. I'm sure you heard of all the fake N96 masks from china. If you watch that show on nat geo(forget the name) they intercept stuff from china and find it to be fake I phones to Gucci bags and everything in between. I still can't figure out why anyone goes to ebay for auto parts, That's all that's on there is Chinese crap! Stop buying from them and supporting this kind of thing. If you do make sure you are getting what you pay for. if you are looking for factory parts try here.
© 2024 Moparts Forums