Moparts

Power booster checking

Posted By: cudaman1969

Power booster checking - 08/19/22 01:57 PM

Is there a way to check a booster on the bench? I have two off and I don’t want to install on truck and find it’s bad
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Power booster checking - 08/19/22 02:15 PM

Run a hose from the check valve to a vacuum source on a running engine. Depress the pushrod that links to the brake pedal. It should go in easily and return fully as well. You'll hear if there is a vacuum leak, and it most likely will not work either.

Re: Power booster checking - 08/19/22 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 469runner
Run a hose from the check valve to a vacuum source on a running engine. Depress the pushrod that links to the brake pedal. It should go in easily and return fully as well. You'll hear if there is a vacuum leak, and it most likely will not work either.

So no way of checking without hooking up to another engine?
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Power booster checking - 08/19/22 03:46 PM

sure a vacuum pump if you have one.
you have to apply vacuum to it to test.

Re: Power booster checking - 08/19/22 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Andrewh

IF I could get a long hose up to DC.. plenty of vacuum up there.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Power booster checking - 08/20/22 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969

up
i have pulled a vacuum on more than one booster with a hand held vacuum pump. really doesn't take that long wink

Re: Power booster checking - 08/20/22 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by TJP

up
i have pulled a vacuum on more than one booster with a hand held vacuum pump. really doesn't take that long wink

I have a mighty vac, I’ll give it a try
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Power booster checking - 08/20/22 02:13 AM

You'll have arms like Popeye when you are able to pull that much vacuum with one of those.

Posted By: TJP

Re: Power booster checking - 08/20/22 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

up

let us know if it works. it did for me providing the booster doesn't have a large leak. Obviously with a smaller leak it will create a vacuum but not hold it. Do verify your hose connections / adapters are not the source of the leak. I normally pull the check valve from the booster, block it, pull a vacuum and verify that it holds. reinstall and pump away. Depending on the size of the booster and the pump will dictate how many pumps /long it will take beer

Re: Power booster checking - 08/20/22 04:35 PM

I checked one today, when I put a tapered adapter hose for the MV I found the grommet was cracked in many places. Now I need to find a bigger adapter to fit the metal hole. Should go by HF and get their vac pump.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Power booster checking - 08/20/22 05:39 PM

i have a vacuum pump that i use for ac systems. it works good for a lot of applications, including testing brake boosters.
i have a ball valve on the hose, so when vacuum is applied according to the gauge, i close it.
if it holds, it's good. if not, it's repair time.
i also have a mity-vac and another hand operated vacuum pump. those DO make you get Popeye arms pumping a booster, even the small ones.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums