Moparts

70 super bee headlights flicker

Posted By: BleedDodge

70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/14/22 04:38 PM

So I was out driving my car around yesterday and it got dark, began driving with the park lights on no problem, got darker so I switched the headlights on, as it got darker outside I could notice the lights shining on the pavement were flickering and the alternator gauge jumping around as they would flicker. Also the dash lights would flicker at the same time. What could be going on, is this a bad ground somewhere or a circuit breaker going out ? Maybe not enough power to the lights for some reason ? Where do I start with this.
Posted By: topside

Re: 70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/14/22 05:04 PM

I'd check the lamp & bulkhead connections for contact or corrosion, check for good grounds, and check the alternator & regulator for performance.
Also check for good connections at battery cables & starter relay + while you're there.
I assume this problem just started occurring ?
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: 70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/14/22 06:09 PM

Definitely clean your bulkhead connector...all connections. I like to use de-oxit. You should also clean the main connectors under the steering column. Lastly I would be certain to check & clean the two connections at back of amp gauge.

de-oxit
Posted By: moparx

Re: 70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/14/22 06:42 PM

also check the rear lamp circuit for corrosion and ground[s].
look at the headlight switch for any signs of bad connection/meltyness of the switch itself, or the connector.
please keep us informed of what you discover.
beer
Posted By: Sniper

Re: 70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/14/22 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by BleedDodge
So I was out driving my car around yesterday and it got dark, began driving with the park lights on no problem, got darker so I switched the headlights on, as it got darker outside I could notice the lights shining on the pavement were flickering and the alternator gauge jumping around as they would flicker. Also the dash lights would flicker at the same time. What could be going on, is this a bad ground somewhere or a circuit breaker going out ? Maybe not enough power to the lights for some reason ? Where do I start with this.

Till you fix that all the bulb socket cleaning in the world will do nothing.

the issue is the alternator/vr circuit and as others have said it's probably a dirty connection. Don't forget the ground side of the circuit as well.
Posted By: therocks

Re: 70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/14/22 09:13 PM

Still running the old style points regulator?If so dump that first and get the replacement thats solid state and looks just like stock.Rocky
Posted By: TJP

Re: 70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/15/22 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by topside
I'd check the lamp & bulkhead connections for contact or corrosion, check for good grounds, and check the alternator & regulator for performance.
Also check for good connections at battery cables & starter relay + while you're there.
I assume this problem just started occurring ?

iagree

Re: 70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/15/22 02:25 AM

Could also be a flaky dimmer switch varying the current to the headlights and in turn making the alternator and other items wig out.
unfortunately I knew a guy many years ago that ignored his flickering h/lights until they went out one cloudy night at a high rate of speed an dhe lost his life when the car slammed into a creek embankment frown pity
Posted By: SuperRob

Re: 70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/15/22 03:39 PM

Had the same problems, reason was the light switch. It was also getting very hot when the lights were switched on. Cured that with a relay.
If you are stranded with flickering lights and need to go home, you can always disconnect one headlight and take some load of the system.
Posted By: BleedDodge

Re: 70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/15/22 03:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys, I had a friend take a video of me leaving with the car at dusk and in the video I was sent I can see the taillights are dim as well until I nail the gas then all the lights on the car get brighter, it acts like it’s charging and then not charging even tho there is no belt squealing or anything. This alternator was brand new in summer of 2019 so I’m hoping it’s not bad yet.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: 70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/15/22 07:06 PM

Getting headlight load off the OEM harness does a good job to lessen the issue. I know a guy that makes a nice relay harness specifically for mopars... grin

The other issue, no matter what 70 oem output factory replacement alternator you use, the idle charge being insufficient to power the car is almost always present. Turn on lights, run the heater blower motor and it's really drawing off the battery, which it shouldn't but does, to keep up with loads. That's why the lights brighten up when you get rolling and RPM is up.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/16/22 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by crackedback
Getting headlight load off the OEM harness does a good job to lessen the issue. I know a guy that makes a nice relay harness specifically for mopars... grin

so do i, and that relay harness works great ! up bow boogie
beer
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/16/22 05:04 PM

Flickering lights have a bad connection on either the positive side or the negative side.
Most people don't know that all the current, power, in batteries leaves the battery on the negative side and returns to the battery on the positive side which makes the grounds connections very important, you CANNOT have to many or too good of grounds scope wrench up

Re: 70 super bee headlights flicker - 08/17/22 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by BleedDodge
Thanks for all the replies guys, I had a friend take a video of me leaving with the car at dusk and in the video I was sent I can see the taillights are dim as well until I nail the gas then all the lights on the car get brighter, it acts like it’s charging and then not charging even tho there is no belt squealing or anything. This alternator was brand new in summer of 2019 so I’m hoping it’s not bad yet.

I would suggest using a DVM to check the alternators output vs what the battery is getting wit the lights on and off at ~ 2500 RPM or so. Ideally the readings should be within .2 to.5 V and about ~ 13.8 to 14.5 and steady depending on the age of the harness etc. If they are jumping around you now know why the lights are doing the same. IF not, you've eliminated the charging system and can start looking elsewhere wink
© 2024 Moparts Forums