Moparts

Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde

Posted By: RJS

Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/07/22 01:37 PM

As title states, I'd like to see underhood pictures of 71-2 B-Body's with A/C .

It would be great if anyone had an A/C car that was upgraded to the newer stuff underhood also.
My car is a Non-Grabber w/A/C and really want more cooling and less drag so pictures of modern stuff would be helpful and any with Air Grabber baseplate would be really great!!
Stories of how you went about running lines etc.. I really hate deviating from stock look but there are so many benefits to do so.
I'll start off with a picture from Classic Air site.
Ron

Attached picture IMG_1654.JPG
Attached picture 0020198_71-72-charger-70-74-barracuda-big-block-ac-upgrade-kit-stage-1.jpeg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/07/22 02:36 PM

Not an air grabber car. However, mine is an A/C sixpack car with factory compressor.

Attached picture 100_1698.jpg
Attached picture 70RTSE3.jpg

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/07/22 03:14 PM

Very nice!!! Can you share some pictures or advice about how much cutting was involved on your baseplate??

I plan on using a reproduction so I won't feel bad cutting and in actuality would also be cheaper to just go that route.
I do wonder if anything would have to be modified on the underhood ducting though?
I'd be using this set up with A/C... but a right side upper hose radiator
Thanks Ron

Attached picture IMG_0286.JPG
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/07/22 04:17 PM

I cant say from experience since I have never owned one but this looks like a very potential problem area.

Attached picture IMG_0286.JPG
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/07/22 05:01 PM

if you use our low mount ac kit you won't have any fitment issues.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/08/22 01:08 AM

Not an air grabber car, but has the air cleaner with the neck cut down to fit under the hood of my '67 Barracuda convertible on top of the 440. Sanden compressor on Bouchillon brackets. And, yes that is a factory 383 air cleaner.

Attached picture 20210417_142114.jpg
Attached picture 20210417_142121.jpg

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/08/22 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
Not an air grabber car, but has the air cleaner with the neck cut down to fit under the hood of my '67 Barracuda convertible on top of the 440. Sanden compressor on Bouchillon brackets. And, yes that is a factory 383 air cleaner.

So is the thinking even with a Sanden Compressor that sometimes the airfilter has to be notched?

Ron
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/08/22 01:54 PM

if you use our low mount ac kit you won't have any fitment issues.

Who is "our" link, info? Are you referring to the Bouchillon brackets?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/08/22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by RJS

So is the thinking even with a Sanden Compressor that sometimes the airfilter has to be notched?

Ron

Ron , what car is that yellow one you posted in the original post, it has a sanden and the base does not look notched?

I think if you stay with the RV2 compressor and have to notch the base you are going to have potential ductwork interference.

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/08/22 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by RJS

Ron

Ron , what car is that yellow one you posted in the original post, it has a sanden and the base does not look notched?

I think if you stay with the RV2 compressor and have to notch the base you are going to have potential ductwork interference.

hey John been a very long time how are you???

The yellow car is from the Classic Air site and yes I believe may not have to notch with Sandan Compressor.
My engine is a low-deck 400 but it has a RPM manifold so I will go with a 440 setup because it's lower but really am wondering if ductwork area will be problematic and can't/won't be able to modify that stuff.
I think you know me enough that the changeover under the hood is against my religion but have to have the AirGrabber to make this satellite like the first and have to have Cold A/C because I'm an old fart!!!

Ron

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/08/22 05:49 PM

superior design concepts makes the low mount ac kit

Attached picture low mount ac.jpg

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/08/22 06:31 PM

That's pretty for a hotrod or custom.
Ron

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/08/22 07:11 PM

alot of guys run them anodized black and you can hardly tell its not factory.

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/09/22 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by RJS

Ron

Perhaps. There's more than an inch cut out of the neck on this air cleaner so it might fit in a car with a higher hood.

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/09/22 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by RJS

Ron

Perhaps. There's more than an inch cut out of the neck on this air cleaner so it might fit in a car with a higher hood.

Jim that's why they cut the neck to make a 383 baseplate more like a 440 baseplate.

Ron

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/09/22 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by RJS
Originally Posted by RJS

Ron

hey John been a very long time how are you???

The yellow car is from the Classic Air site and yes I believe may not have to notch with Sandan Compressor.
My engine is a low-deck 400 but it has a RPM manifold so I will go with a 440 setup because it's lower but really am wondering if ductwork area will be problematic and can't/won't be able to modify that stuff.
I think you know me enough that the changeover under the hood is against my religion but have to have the AirGrabber to make this satellite like the first and have to have Cold A/C because I'm an old fart!!!

Ron

The low deck will gain you about 3/4" clearance to the hood, couple that with a Sanden compressor and you should clear the ductwork just fine. Also the RPM manifold will also help you clear the Sanden compressor.

I'm doing ok , just getting back to it after a long hiatus.

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/11/22 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by RJS
Originally Posted by RJS

Ron

Jim that's why they cut the neck to make a 383 baseplate more like a 440 baseplate.

Ron

This is cut far more than the difference between stock 383 and 440 base plates. I borrowed a 440 base plate many years ago to see if it would work with the 440 in my old Dart. With no gaskets on a core engine the lid hit the hood so I gave up looking for the rarer and more expensive 440 single four barrel air cleaner.

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/11/22 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by RJS

Ron

Jim , what intake did you use ?

Re: Like to see Underhood pictures of Airgrabber Cars w/A/C adde - 08/12/22 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by RJS

Ron

Jim , what intake did you use ?

Factory 1967 440.
© 2024 Moparts Forums