Moparts

Gas tank repair

Posted By: BSharp

Gas tank repair - 07/03/22 09:39 PM

Back in about 1981, I accidentally poked a hold in my gas tank, and I gave it a quick fix with a sheet-metal screw, a rubber washer, and some kind of sealant. Was going to be temporary, but it held up so I left it alone. Now the tank is out of the car for cleaning. Should I put a screw back in with JB Weld or something like it, or weld it? I have a MIG, but I don't want this tank to be the last thing I ever see. The interior looks excellent; no reason to consider replacement. What's the best fix?

Attached picture tank screw.JPG
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Gas tank repair - 07/03/22 09:48 PM

Might want to consider using a pop rivet. There are some that don't have an open center hole for liquid to leak out of. I used one years ago to seal a tiny pinhole in a station wagon tank I didn't want to remove. Used the pop rivet and covered it over with JB Weld. Was still holding several years later when I sold the car.
Posted By: shanker

Re: Gas tank repair - 07/03/22 10:03 PM

weld--er-up...

to do it safely, fill the tank with water first to displace the fuel vapor
Posted By: GarageDodge

Re: Gas tank repair - 07/04/22 12:06 AM

solder a piece of copper over the hole,has worked many times.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Gas tank repair - 07/04/22 12:47 AM

My kid had his buicl stolen years ago They punched a hole in the tank to get gas/I used a screw after it was dry and clean.Then JB weld a piece of sheet metal and more JB.He drove it for 4 years sold it and it was here for like 3 or 4 more.Oh yeah my buddy welded tank just started his tow motor filled the with exhaust and welded away.Another firiend years ago tried to make sure no vapors were in the tank after water was in.Boom went probally 30 feet up.years later his arm still hurt from getting smacked with it
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Gas tank repair - 07/04/22 12:58 AM

Ok, how is a plastic tank repaired?
Posted By: chargerbr549

Re: Gas tank repair - 07/04/22 01:06 AM

I have used this repair kit many of times and its always worked for me.

https://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld-tankweld
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Gas tank repair - 07/04/22 01:54 AM

Go on Aircraft Spruce and Specialities web site and look for fuel tank sealer that we use in airplanes. I might be called B1/2 it's a two part that you mix. Put the screw, or a rivet back in then use the sealer over it. Must be very clean.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Gas tank repair - 07/04/22 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by GarageDodge
solder a piece of copper over the hole,has worked many times.

Solder works great, but need to remove any galvanizing around hole first. Flux core solder if really clean, otherwise some acid core.
© 2024 Moparts Forums