Moparts

Opinion

Posted By: Chief

Opinion - 06/28/22 07:32 PM

Has anyone used a reground camshaft? Did it last as far as wear?

I have a couple of cams that the lifter failed on and they were hurt, one may be fixed with a regrind but the other has a chunk out of it and will need to be welded.
So what is the consensus?

These are billet roller cams.

Dave
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Opinion - 06/28/22 07:34 PM

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy new?
Posted By: Chief

Re: Opinion - 06/28/22 07:37 PM

I talked to Oregon Cams and they charge 199.00 These cams cost 600.00 new.

Not to mention if cores are available.

Dave
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Opinion - 06/28/22 07:40 PM

I've used reground roller cams in GM LS engines and haven't had any issues. Haven't done one in several years, but there was a guy on ebay selling factory cams that were reground into a copy of the GM "hot cam" and some other grinds.
Posted By: topside

Re: Opinion - 06/28/22 08:04 PM

Back in the days of flatheads, that was common, but valve springs weren't all that stiff and there was more zinc & phosphorus in the oil.
I'd bet the specs were not as dead-on as we want now, though.
I would think a surface treatment on a re-grind would be really important, wouldn't it ?
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Opinion - 06/28/22 08:22 PM

I have run several that Comp Cams redid. No problems and you cant tell it from a new one.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Opinion - 06/28/22 08:51 PM

It's going to have a smaller base circle which could be an issue if you already have a big cam with a small base circle.
I was told this by one of the major cam companies back in the mid 70's when I asked about regrinding a .770 lift Super Stock cam to a slightly different profile.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Opinion - 06/28/22 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chief
I talked to Oregon Cams and they charge 199.00 These cams cost 600.00 new.

Not to mention if cores are available.

Dave

Delta Cams can weld them up, regrind them, heat treat them and so on. I suspect any good cam regrinder will do the same. Ask them for the answer.

https://deltacam.com/services/camshaft-grinding/

As for zinc in the oil, the flatheads don't really care, they have minimal valve spring pressures. A monster cam with battleship springs, yeah you're going to need zinc and such.
Posted By: topside

Re: Opinion - 06/28/22 09:41 PM

^^^ My point was that camshafts & lifters/followers back then had a much easier life.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Opinion - 06/28/22 09:52 PM

I've had several solid roller steel core race cams reground and reused them, the key is the heat treating is still intact or reheat treat them twocents
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Opinion - 06/28/22 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by topside
^^^ My point was that camshafts & lifters/followers back then had a much easier life.

With much crappier oil and filtration though. My feeling is that valve spring pressures are more important than it being a flat tappet setup.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Opinion - 06/28/22 10:21 PM

In the 50s to 70s that’s about all you got
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Opinion - 06/28/22 10:42 PM

I had Bullet regrind a solid roller can to to a different spec and it worked out fine.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Opinion - 06/29/22 12:52 PM

We've used reground Mopar factory hydraulic rollers.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums