Moparts

Radiator hose clamps

Posted By: BSharp

Radiator hose clamps - 06/28/22 01:24 PM

Yes, the exciting world of hose clamps. I used modern-style spring clamps when starting a fresh engine and had two radiator hose leaks. One on a very smooth aluminum radiator inlet, and one on a rougher thermostat housing. Just not enough clamping force. I fixed both with a couple of junky worm-drive clamps, but I'd like to put on some nicer stainless ones. What do you like?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Radiator hose clamps - 06/28/22 05:51 PM

New, shiny screw clamps twocents up
Posted By: topside

Re: Radiator hose clamps - 06/28/22 08:08 PM

I've had that 1 time on a restoration; another restoration clamp with more clamping tension fixed it.
My thing:
Restorations = correct clamps.
Hot rods & racecars = worm drive clamps.
Lots of old road course racecars use double clamps.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Radiator hose clamps - 06/28/22 09:10 PM

Constant tension hose clamps.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Radiator hose clamps - 06/29/22 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by topside
I've had that 1 time on a restoration; another restoration clamp with more clamping tension fixed it.
My thing:
Restorations = correct clamps.
Hot rods & racecars = worm drive clamps.
Lots of old road course racecars use double clamps.

restoration: have to source QUALITY clamps from AMK or equivalent. most of the CRA- that classic sells is just that
or worm drive, if you want pretty get SS and polish them twocents beer
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Radiator hose clamps - 06/29/22 10:47 AM

Constant tension hose clamps.

If it's a hard to get to location these. up
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Radiator hose clamps - 06/29/22 11:42 AM

worm drive clamps. and heat shrink hose clamps
Posted By: BSharp

Re: Radiator hose clamps - 06/29/22 01:02 PM

Thanks for the input.

I'm looking at worm-drive clamps from Gates (they should know how to clamp a hose, right?). These for silicone have a smooth inner band to protect the soft hose; is there any reason they couldn't be used on rubber? They also have the perforated version for firm rubber. They're both about the same price at two or three times the store brands, but leaks are annoying enough to justify it.

The heat-shrink clamps are interesting, but they're single-use and look like it would be hard to remove them without damaging the hose.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Radiator hose clamps - 06/29/22 01:20 PM

I use the heat shrink clamps on mine. They are awesome and give a clean look.
https://www.gates.com/gb/en/fluid-p...-and-couplings.p.7405-000000-000000.html
Posted By: TJP

Re: Radiator hose clamps - 06/29/22 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by BSharp
Thanks for the input.

I'm looking at worm-drive clamps from Gates (they should know how to clamp a hose, right?). These for silicone have a smooth inner band to protect the soft hose; is there any reason they couldn't be used on rubber? They also have the perforated version for firm rubber. They're both about the same price at two or three times the store brands, but leaks are annoying enough to justify it.

The heat-shrink clamps are interesting, but they're single-use and look like it would be hard to remove them without damaging the hose.

I usually buy Tridon, breeze or other brand including house brands wit no problems wink
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Radiator hose clamps - 06/29/22 02:31 PM

My cars are stock restored .
I have used the stock corbin clamps always,,,,, and never a problem, BUT ,, I try my best to not reuse them if I can get away with it. Its nIce to have a stock of them from when I carried them

Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Radiator hose clamps - 06/29/22 02:33 PM

PS, the source if you want to buy in bulk , https://www.rotorclip.com/ https://www.rotorclip.com/cat_pdfs/hc.pdf

I can go thru my stash and get the part number for mopar stuff if needed

As an example.
The correct one for the power brake booster hose is HC11 and is red zinc plated
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Radiator hose clamps - 06/29/22 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by BSharp
Thanks for the input.

The perforated clamps will dig into the rubber and chew it up to some extent.

You can use the smooth ones though, I prefer them to perforated ones even on the constant tension ones.
© 2024 Moparts Forums