Moparts

Vintage Air fast idle solenoid

Posted By: cdstl

Vintage Air fast idle solenoid - 06/25/22 07:37 PM

My buddy has a Vintage air in his ‘67 Belvedere. There’s a solenoid that’s wired to the compressor clutch that pops out to bump up the idle engine idle speed while in gear at a stop sign. He needs a few more RPM than what is set. We cured the problem with 4 layers of duct tape on top of the plunger.

The question for you guys is, will this plunger turn in or out to adjust the idle speed? I didn’t want to start trying to turn it until I got some more information. It appears to have a 1/2” or 9/16” size head on it.

Thx

Attached picture 48014903-AD57-4DD5-B2B9-251DB8536113.jpeg
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Vintage Air fast idle solenoid - 06/25/22 08:02 PM

Yes, turn it out (counterclockwise) to raise the idle speed.
Posted By: cdstl

Re: Vintage Air fast idle solenoid - 06/25/22 08:04 PM

Thanks John, that's exactly what I thought.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Vintage Air fast idle solenoid - 06/26/22 02:39 PM

just a heads up, They didn't used to have enough push to overcome the return springs without blipping the throttle. But that may have changed or be dependent on your setup beer
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: Vintage Air fast idle solenoid - 06/26/22 05:15 PM

Mine is a few years old and it too has to have the throttle "blipped" to be able to hold open the throttle linkage.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Vintage Air fast idle solenoid - 06/26/22 07:15 PM

This was a pleasant benefit when I switched to fuel injection.
Car would always dip the RPMs and almost die when the AC was clicked on with a carb.
The fuel injection compensated to keep it where needed.

Re: Vintage Air fast idle solenoid - 06/27/22 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by YO7_A66
Mine is a few years old and it too has to have the throttle "blipped" to be able to hold open the throttle linkage.

Adding a short lever and remounting the solenoid may help as would a lighter return spring if possible. Would be nice if they could just sell a flippin product with enough force though. It's not ROCKET science.
I may have read somewhere that a mid 70's or so GM solenoid had more grunt shruggy beer
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Vintage Air fast idle solenoid - 06/27/22 05:14 PM

In a system that cycles the compressor clutch to control evaporator temperature, the low-strength idle solenoid is a PITA because you have to blip the throttle after each clutch release/reapply cycle but Mopar systems with the RV compressor don't cycle the clutch, so the solenoid works better on them.

Re: Vintage Air fast idle solenoid - 06/28/22 01:28 AM

Here's a smoking deal on one of the GM solenoids CHEAP A TWICE THE PRICE

whistling beer
Posted By: moparx

Re: Vintage Air fast idle solenoid - 06/28/22 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
Here's a smoking deal on one of the GM solenoids CHEAP A TWICE THE PRICE

whistling beer

eek eek eek
beer
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Vintage Air fast idle solenoid - 06/28/22 06:40 PM

The seller doesn't have a whole lot of items from his "museum" selling. Wonder why.

-->www.ebay/ravjudge/completed sales<--

Probably thinks his chit doesn't stink either.....
© 2024 Moparts Forums