Moparts

Rear end dilemma ...

Posted By: Stanton

Rear end dilemma ... - 06/25/22 02:43 AM

Ok ... '69 Road Runner. Mini tubbed 2" (not all the way to the frame rail). Springs moved inboard.

With the stock width 8-3/4 I could fit a 10" wide wheel with a 5-1/2" backspace into the well with about 1/4" or so clearance to the inner tub. The tire in use is a M/T with a 13.1" section

With the wider tubs I plan to use a 12" wheel with a tire with a 15" section.
Its now time to order a new rear end and I have a few options ...

1) Order a stock width rear end and use a wheel with a 7-1/2" backspace
2) Order a 1" per side narrower rear end and use a wheel with 6-1/2" backspace
3) Order a 2" per side narrower rear end and use a wheel with 5-1/2" backspace

So there's my dilemma ...what to order. Thoughts ??
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Rear end dilemma ... - 06/25/22 03:09 AM

If you have a choice I would go with less backspacing. It saves some weight if nothing else.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Rear end dilemma ... - 06/25/22 03:19 AM

Narrower rear end is lighter and stronger. On the other hand a centered wheel is probably the strongest and least flexible.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Rear end dilemma ... - 06/25/22 05:22 AM

The deeper the offset the easier they are to remove, usually twocents work:: up:
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Rear end dilemma ... - 06/25/22 12:46 PM

I'm wondering if that much back space is actually available.

Re: Rear end dilemma ... - 06/25/22 05:08 PM

My race car had a set of Monoque that were 15 inches wide with 3.0 offset from the back side up
I have two other sets of drag race wheels, a set of Centerline 15 inch wide with 5.5 offset and a set of Welds 13.5 with 4.0 offset.
I think Weld offers offsets in half inch increments and Centerline use to only offer 3 1/8 and 5 1/4 inch offset regardless of the wheel widths, I think: work:
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Rear end dilemma ... - 06/25/22 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
My race car had a set of Monoque that were 15 inches wide with 3.0 offset from the back side up
I have two other sets of drag race wheels, a set of Centerline 15 inch wide with 5.5 offset and a set of Welds 13.5 with 4.0 offset.
I think Weld offers offsets in half inch increments and Centerline use to only offer 3 1/8 and 5 1/4 inch offset regardless of the wheel widths, I think: work:

7 1/2 inches? on a 10" rim?
Posted By: Neil

Re: Rear end dilemma ... - 06/25/22 06:44 PM

1/4" of tire clearance to the wheel tub? Seems like that would rub when cornering?
Posted By: BDW

Re: Rear end dilemma ... - 06/25/22 09:01 PM

I'd find the rims you like, then that makes the rear end choice for you.
You may change rims over the life of the car, so pick something common/standard
Only want to buy the rear end once........
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Rear end dilemma ... - 06/26/22 12:01 AM

Not uncommon on later vehicles - Mustangs in particular.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Rear end dilemma ... - 06/26/22 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper

The original poster was talking about 12" wheels.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Rear end dilemma ... - 06/27/22 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by BDW
I'd find the rims you like, then that makes th
e rear end choice for you.
You may change rims over the life of the car, so pick something common/standard
Only want to buy the rear end once........

iagree Otherwise you might have to order custom offset wheels from somewhere like Holeshot. Not a bad thing, but expensive. twocents

Re: Rear end dilemma ... - 06/27/22 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper

shruggy
© 2024 Moparts Forums