Moparts

Parts store water pumps for 318.

Posted By: GMP440

Parts store water pumps for 318. - 06/22/22 12:42 PM

I getting ready to change out the water pump on my 68 Dodge Coronet with a/c and 318.
I noticed that the auto parts stores only list water pumps for non a/c cars. Looking at the pictures, the pump bodies can be used for the a/c cars , but have the 8 bladed impeller not the 6 bladed impeller.
I beleive the last water pump I put on about 11 years ago had the 8 bladed impeller. No cooling issues at all. Looks like the pump manufacturers are all using the 8 bladed impellers on these pumps keeping everything standard across the board.
Just asking for others opinions on this. Yay or nay on the parts stores pumps.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Parts store water pumps for 318. - 06/22/22 01:27 PM

I would run another 8 blade pump. If it didn't give you any trouble before, why would it now? Besides, the 8 blade is the only one I know of right now anyway.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Parts store water pumps for 318. - 06/22/22 01:39 PM

Doesn`t look like you have a choice unless you can find a used 6 blade pump and get it rebuilt.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Parts store water pumps for 318. - 06/22/22 04:33 PM

Maybe you don't want to spend the money or wait on a part, and if so I understand. BUT, I'd get a Milodon with anti cavitation just for the peace of mind and much improved quality over anything that comes out of local parts stores nowadays. I'm always afraid of having to pull something apart again three days later!
Posted By: therocks

Re: Parts store water pumps for 318. - 06/22/22 05:09 PM

Try and see if they listr one for a 360.same block and pump but many were AC cars Rock auto shows an 8 vane for 360 .
.Rocky
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: Parts store water pumps for 318. - 06/24/22 09:45 AM

measure the ipeller dia as the varry a lot , 6 or 8 bade .

it is a pulley size combo thing .
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Parts store water pumps for 318. - 06/24/22 07:05 PM

When I did the wp on my 78 fury I took off an 8 van which was the original it left the factory with.
All I could find at the time were 6 vane. The dam thing started running hot as soon as I started driving it with the 6 vane pump.
Colder stat didn't help. Took radiator in for test and rod out if needed, twice
No help. I finally found an 8 vane pump and put that on. Problem solved.
© 2024 Moparts Forums