Moparts

What kind of break-in oil to use?

Posted By: VITC_GTX

What kind of break-in oil to use? - 06/21/22 03:08 AM

In the next week or two I'll be looking to fire up my rebuilt 383 (hydraulic flat tappet) . What break-in oil, or additive, and weight do you prefer?
Posted By: VCODE

Re: What kind of break-in oil to use? - 06/21/22 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by VITC_GTX
In the next week or two I'll be looking to fire up my rebuilt 383 (hydraulic flat tappet) . What break-in oil, or additive, and weight do you prefer?

I like Penn1 30 Break in oil. Old name Brad Penn.
Spoke with tech just the other day about the high zinc and was told it's the same oil and has not been changed.
Bob.
Posted By: topside

Re: What kind of break-in oil to use? - 06/21/22 02:12 PM

Penn, Lucas, Gibbs...all good.
I'm sure you know the procedure.
Posted By: Neil

Re: What kind of break-in oil to use? - 06/22/22 12:01 AM

GM E.O.S. is what I used years ago.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What kind of break-in oil to use? - 06/22/22 12:03 AM

Valvoline VR10x30 with a bottle of zinc additive up twocents
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: What kind of break-in oil to use? - 06/22/22 01:22 AM

Thanks guys.

Van
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: What kind of break-in oil to use? - 06/22/22 01:46 AM

Last 2 solid cam engines I built were broken in with Gibbs break in oil and are both still going strong 10 years later up

Gus beer
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: What kind of break-in oil to use? - 06/22/22 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by VITC_GTX

What make cam? At least one cam maker sells their own labeled break in additive.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: What kind of break-in oil to use? - 06/23/22 12:12 PM

I've used Joe Gibbs Driven break-in oil in the most recent flat tappet motors I've built and haven't had any issues. No need for any additive.
About 4 years ago I used Valvoline VR1 race oil w/ Comp Cams break-in additive on a 440 hyd. flat tappet build. No problems w/ that one either.

These were all fairly mild hydraulic flat tappet cam street engines. Anything aggressive, I prefer a roller. twocents
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: What kind of break-in oil to use? - 06/23/22 02:02 PM

Cam builder's break-in lube on all rubbing surfaces and Valvoline VR1 10-30 (for my clearances) and no problems here either.

Joe
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: What kind of break-in oil to use? - 06/23/22 04:18 PM

For every brand of break in oil and additive that’s available........ it’s someones favorite.

My favorite is the Driven “BR”, which is 15/50.
© 2024 Moparts Forums