Moparts

Transmission mount recommendation

Posted By: Dogpro

Transmission mount recommendation - 06/20/22 09:15 PM

70 Cuda 383 4spd. My original trans mount is wasted and looking for a replacement I'm not sure if I want rubber or poly but I don't know what is best for a cruise night driver. Any recommendations? Thanks, Lou
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 06/20/22 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dogpro
70 Cuda 383 4spd. My original trans mount is wasted and looking for a replacement I'm not sure if I want rubber or poly but I don't know what is best for a cruise night driver. Any recommendations? Thanks, Lou

Either one is fine for a cruise night driver. Rubber will transmits slightly less vibration and noise to the body than poly, but most parts store rubber mounts these days are junk. Poly is generally better built and lasts.

I recently bought a set of parts store mounts for my 51, hoping they will last long enough for my originals to get back from being revulcanized. That's the route I would go.
Posted By: MoreParts

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 06/20/22 09:47 PM

My cruise night Challenger 383 recently got the poly upgrade tranny mount. I also did most of the front suspension with polygraphite as well. I absolutely love it. Together it has more of a modern call ride quality over the land barge feel it had prior.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 06/20/22 11:39 PM

I prefer rubber but finding good rubber can be tuff.
Posted By: PLUM_72

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 06/21/22 12:01 AM

Id keep the trans mount the same material as the engine mounts. Everything should move as one.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 06/21/22 01:53 AM

Poly unless you want to replace it again in 6-24 months twocents beer
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 06/21/22 03:21 AM

I put poly in mine 20 years ago. The replacement rubber ones they sell now will turn to dust well before that time frame. I can remember a made in India rubber motor mount that didn't last a week.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 06/21/22 05:37 PM

lots of the rubber mounts sold today don't have a "made in" identifier on them.
the box usually says "a product of ????", but who really knows where the item is made these days ? shruggy
maybe that means the box is "a product of ????". biggrin
beer
Posted By: MoreParts

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 06/21/22 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
the box usually says "a product of ????", but who really knows where the item is made these days ? shruggy
maybe that means the box is "a product of ????". biggrin
beer

Instead of "a product of" they should say "a piece of." The rubber on new mounts hasn't been quality in a long time. They're about as durable as a damp sponge.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 06/21/22 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by moparx

You made me go check my new mounts for the 51. Box says "Made in IN" The mounts themselves have INDIA cast into the rubber.

Marmon Ride Control is the brand on the box, FWIW.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 06/21/22 08:58 PM

poly all the way Mine is and Imperial services.Been in for 20 years behind 440 4 speed 65 My kid ran it in the 62 300 also.We also run his motor mounts I used to rip one out every year Now never
Posted By: Dogpro

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 06/22/22 12:20 AM

Thanks for the replies guys! It looks like I should be leaning towards a poly mount so I'll start checking them out. Lou
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 06/23/22 12:14 PM

Poly.
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 06/24/22 12:17 AM

Look for a NOS aftermarket {DOAN} or equivalent 2525 insert or complete mount 2515 from about 30 years ago pre UPC symbol.

As a matter of fact I just bought Ebay item# 134143744495 looking just now.

Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 07/05/22 08:19 PM

Received the NOS Doan trans mount,quality made back in the day USA part.

Attached picture trans mount.jpg
Attached picture trans 1.jpg
Attached picture trans 2.jpg

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 07/06/22 04:11 PM

up
beer
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 07/06/22 05:45 PM

As long as you don't have any harmonic vibration issues (even very minor) poly is best, but if you don't have an extremely well balanced engine, etc. you'll feel the added vibration.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 07/06/22 07:23 PM

On the original spool mount, a lot of folks fill the voids around the bolt sleeve with black RTV.

Re: Transmission mount recommendation - 07/07/22 02:41 PM

windshield urethane works good for filling those voids as well.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums