Moparts

Fast ratio steering box.

Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Fast ratio steering box. - 06/18/22 01:55 AM

I was checking the steering box turns on my '69 'Cuda and came up with 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. I suspect this is a fast ratio manual steering box, were these boxes standard on '69 A-bodies or only on certain cars?
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Fast ratio steering box. - 06/18/22 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by GODSCOUNTRY340
I was checking the steering box turns on my '69 'Cuda and came up with 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. I suspect this is a fast ratio manual steering box, were these boxes standard on '69 A-bodies or only on certain cars?

Optional on A-bodies only 1966 to 1969.

Possibly 1964 and 1965 too, with the introduction of the V-8 A-bodies
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Fast ratio steering box. - 06/18/22 06:23 AM

Option S75 Steering - Fast Manual $14.45. Kinda nifty most of the time, but makes parallel parking a very muscular session. With a 340 in the engine bay, the tires absolutely must be turning to do any steering at all. If there's a big block in the engine bay, a bus-sized steering wheel might be needed.

Attached picture Untitled.jpg
Attached picture Untitled1.jpg
Attached picture Untitled2.jpg
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Fast ratio steering box. - 06/18/22 12:55 PM

Thanks, It's a 383 car but it's got an aluminum intake, aluminum water pump housing and headers to help lighten the front end weight.

Attached picture 2513E3FD-5FD0-4351-A292-B0210B52C8AF.jpeg
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Fast ratio steering box. - 06/18/22 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by kentj340
Option S75 Steering - Fast Manual $14.45. Kinda nifty most of the time, but makes parallel parking a very muscular session. With a 340 in the engine bay, the tires absolutely must be turning to do any steering at all. If there's a big block in the engine bay, a bus-sized steering wheel might be needed.

I keep hearing that. Both my cars have manual steering, 65 Cuda, 51 Plymouth. Now the Cuda has standard ratio, the 51 is 18.2:1. Neither is a muscular effort to parallel park. Even with oversized tires on them. Cuda has a 273, the 51 has it's original, and heavier than an LA, flathead. My 16 yo son drives the 51, though I haven't had him try parallel parking, yet. lol.

Well, I thought about it and if having to use more than one finger to park is muscular, then yeah they both are that. But by no means do you need to turn green and hulk out.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Fast ratio steering box. - 06/18/22 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by GODSCOUNTRY340

Yes, 3.5 turns would be fast ratio. There are not any external markings that I'm aware of so no way to verify if it is original or not. The fast ratio boxes aren't fun driving at slow speeds but they are nice for canyon carving. We tried one in a road race car and it was too stiff for the driver. I had one in my street car for a bit and it was way too stiff for daily driving. Almost impossible to go around a sharp corner at low speeds. I eventually switched over to a 20:1 ratio box which was easier to drive and then after a few years I switched to PS.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Fast ratio steering box. - 06/18/22 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
I keep hearing that. Both my cars have manual steering, 65 Cuda, 51 Plymouth. Now the Cuda has standard ratio, the 51 is 18.2:1. Neither is a muscular effort to parallel park. Even with oversized tires on them. Cuda has a 273, the 51 has it's original, and heavier than an LA, flathead. My 16 yo son drives the 51, though I haven't had him try parallel parking, yet. lol.

Well, I thought about it and if having to use more than one finger to park is muscular, then yeah they both are that. But by no means do you need to turn green and hulk out.

I believe he is referring to the fast ratio requiring more effort. I had no issues with several small block cars and the fast ratio manual box shruggy
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Fast ratio steering box. - 06/19/22 03:36 AM

This '69 fast manual box has a green paint daub and is stamped with E0919G.

Attached picture IMG_2565.jpg
Posted By: ro23_j

Re: Fast ratio steering box. - 06/19/22 01:04 PM

It was an definitely an option on 68 A-bodies. One of my best friends in high school "helped" his mom and dad order a 68 Dart GT. He couldn't convince them to order the 340, but he was able to check the boxes for fast ratio steering and H.D. suspension. I was able to buy the car two years later because his mom couldn't drive it because of the hard steering. It was tough to drive at low speeds.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Fast ratio steering box. - 06/19/22 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by ro23_j
It was an definitely an option on 68 A-bodies. One of my best friends in high school "helped" his mom and dad order a 68 Dart GT. He couldn't convince them to order the 340, but he was able to check the boxes for fast ratio steering and H.D. suspension. I was able to buy the car two years later because his mom couldn't drive it because of the hard steering. It was tough to drive at low speeds.

Bet your friend's dad was mad about the "help". If mom isn't happy then nobody is happy!
Posted By: ro23_j

Re: Fast ratio steering box. - 06/20/22 12:44 PM

His dad bought a new 70 Dart and did not ask for any "help", and the new one had power steering!
Posted By: skicker

Re: Fast ratio steering box. - 06/20/22 01:07 PM

I have the fast ratio on a 69 Dart...

The regular box on a 72 Duster...

Both are small blocks and the fast ratio is much better to drive than the slower box...

Maybe it is the skinny Firestone bias ply tires but it is also much better to park with...

I'd be interested in another fast ratio box for the Duster if someone has one to sell at Carlisle...
© 2024 Moparts Forums