Moparts

Installing a Gear Vendors

Posted By: Hrtbkr

Installing a Gear Vendors - 06/09/22 09:07 AM

Hi I'm getting ready to install a Gear Vendors in my '71 GTX automatic.
Does anyone have some experience/advice to share?
Thanks
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Installing a Gear Vendors - 06/09/22 10:52 AM

I’m halfway done on a 69 Charger but the unit is in. I had to drop it more than the .100 they said to drop the crossmember. Otherwise I would have had to clearance the whole tunnel for the unit instead of just the bolts at the rear section. They give you a template where it needs to clear. I ended up using smaller 3/8 bolts instead of the factory ones so it dropped it over 3/8”. 71 had 3/8” bolts to begin with but you may be able to drop the motor mount some. This one is close. I hope it does not hit on bumps.
Posted By: topside

Re: Installing a Gear Vendors - 06/09/22 01:58 PM

I'm no help with that fitment. But I've had one in my GMC Dually (4.10 gears) since 1996 and it's the best modification on the truck.
Utterly bulletproof, needs only an occasional fluid change.
Fortunately there was a place on the dash for the rocker switches, so it even looks factory-installed.
It did require some fiddling with driveshaft angles.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Installing a Gear Vendors - 06/09/22 10:11 PM

If I was doing one, I would start with a short tail shaft 727 or replace the output shaft in mine with a short one and get the "Shorty" GV kit.

Kevin
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: Installing a Gear Vendors - 06/11/22 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Twostick
If I was doing one, I would start with a short tail shaft 727 or replace the output shaft in mine with a short one and get the "Shorty" GV kit.

Kevin

I tried this on my 70 challenger and the GV would have clobbered the trans x-member and would have needed more extensive modifications I was not willing to do so I went back to the original style.

Now if I were to do it again, I would look into converting to a A-518/46RH. May have to run a conversion bell for a big block but worth the effort. I think I have seen where the tails haft was ground down to clear with less modifications to the car undercarriage for clean install.
AG.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Installing a Gear Vendors - 06/11/22 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by turbobitt
Originally Posted by Twostick

Kevin

I tried this on my 70 challenger and the GV would have clobbered the trans x-member and would have needed more extensive modifications I was not willing to do so I went back to the original style.

Now if I were to do it again, I would look into converting to a A-518/46RH. May have to run a conversion bell for a big block but worth the effort. I think I have seen where the tails haft was ground down to clear with less modifications to the car undercarriage for clean install.
AG.

That’s what I did however I should of spent a bit more time measuring. I ended up going with the 46RE only to find I don’t have enough room under the chassis. I can move the exhaust but the fuel tank is a challange. It’s a 20 gallon saddle tank. Don’t really want to lose the capacity by either moving it to the rear of the chassis or the bed. It’s a 52 Dodge PU. I bought the trans complete with converter. So, now I’m trying to figure out which direction to go, rearrange everything or sell the trans and buy a GV.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Installing a Gear Vendors - 06/11/22 04:12 PM

i priced out a 727/gearvendor setup against a 518[46rh] setup, and found that one could come out money and modifications ahead by doing a 518.
this included a torque converter, transmission rebuild, beefed up transmission internal components, and a jw ultrabell.
this was with me doing all the work except making up a driveshaft. [which would be roughly the same price no matter which direction a person went]
just my opinion, using my tools and skills. your mileage will vary.
beer
Posted By: rapom

Re: Installing a Gear Vendors - 06/11/22 06:28 PM

I install a GV shorty unit in a 68 satellite. A lot of crossmember fab was need. But, it gives a better driveshaft angle. Still have to test yet.
I did a regular one in my 67 coronet, and that works great. Got to put it up as high as you can in the tunnel.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Installing a Gear Vendors - 06/12/22 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by rapom
I install a GV shorty unit in a 68 satellite. A lot of crossmember fab was need. But, it gives a better driveshaft angle. Still have to test yet.
I did a regular one in my 67 coronet, and that works great. Got to put it up as high as you can in the tunnel.

Just so I'm on the same page, does the shorty use the motorhome/truck short tail trans or the 4x4 case?

I'm puzzled because I thought the short truck trans had its mount in the same location as the car 727. I would expect the rear crossmember to clear the same because the GV adapter should just be shorter length but still be the same dimensions at the mount.

If it uses the 4x4 case I could see that being problematic.

Kevin
© 2024 Moparts Forums