Moparts

Carter carb tune settings

Posted By: hemienvy

Carter carb tune settings - 05/11/22 02:09 AM

Carter 9636SA
438" b-block, 383 with a 440 crank.
214 / 224 cam, 1 3/4 headers, 4-speed, 3.91

I know I need to dial in the tune once it's running, but just for initial fire-up, do you figure I should go with OOTB Carter settings ?

.098 jets, .070/.060 rods, plain springs, 7/16 float setting.

I don't know what the OOTB Carter is supposedly optimized for.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Carter carb tune settings - 05/11/22 02:25 AM

That's a pretty small carb for a 438" engine.

Probably "tuned" for a 360/340 sized engine, not something as large as you are putting it on.

Re: Carter carb tune settings - 05/11/22 02:31 AM

True, but it's just a mild motor, under 5000 RPM.

Even so, I was wondering if I should jet it up 438/360 = 20% more jet area.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Carter carb tune settings - 05/11/22 03:10 AM

I would try it the way it is after verifying the stock jetting and springs under the front metering rod pistons are in place. Same thing on the ignition timing and spark plug selected and set at. scope up
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Carter carb tune settings - 05/11/22 11:58 AM

go to a .068x.047 metering rod and make sure there are .095's in the secondary.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Carter carb tune settings - 05/11/22 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I would try it the way it is after verifying the stock jetting and springs under the front metering rod pistons are in place. Same thing on the ignition timing and spark plug selected and set at. scope up

iagree The CarterBrocks have ancient calibrations and the transitions (where street cars spend most of their time) are difficult to adjust. There are simply better carb choices for your car today. Having said that, I agree with Cab, start with the original jetting for initial start up. But rather than spend too much time and some money trying to get the old CarterBrock up to snuff after the initial start up, just move on to a better and closer to optimum carb.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Carter carb tune settings - 05/12/22 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by lewtot184
go to a .068x.047 metering rod and make sure there are .095's in the secondary.

You're no fun laugh2 beer

Re: Carter carb tune settings - 05/12/22 02:02 AM

Lewtot,
Thank you, I take it you speak from experience ?

Re: Carter carb tune settings - 05/12/22 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by hemienvy
Lewtot,
Thank you, I take it you speak from experience ?
yep. actually, i figure jet area on those afb's. what i've found on the carbs i use is the cruise side wants about .004 sqin's and the power wants about .0063sqin's of jet area on the primary side. that's real close to an edelbrock 1405 out of the box. i don't think it makes a lot of difference what jet/rod combo you use to get there. 070" cruise step on the rod with a .098" jet may work, but .060" on the power side i don't think will work. just try different things. i have found that the timing curve on those mild engines can trick you. i wouldn't use a performance curve with that cam. i've been going thru this with a stock 440 and the closer i get to a factory curve the nicer and cleaner it runs.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Carter carb tune settings - 05/12/22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23

iagree The CarterBrocks have ancient calibrations and the transitions (where street cars spend most of their time) are difficult to adjust. There are simply better carb choices for your car today. Having said that, I agree with Cab, start with the original jetting for initial start up. But rather than spend too much time and some money trying to get the old CarterBrock up to snuff after the initial start up, just move on to a better and closer to optimum carb.

In my experience to old Carter Competition carbs that the Carterbrocks are based on are much better carb.

Re: Carter carb tune settings - 05/12/22 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by DaveRS23

In my experience to old Carter Competition carbs that the Carterbrocks are based on are much better carb.
the older sand cast carbs are better in my opinion.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Carter carb tune settings - 05/13/22 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by lewtot184
the older sand cast carbs are better in my opinion.

offtopic
© 2024 Moparts Forums