Moparts

No turn signal or flashers

Posted By: mercman1

No turn signal or flashers - 05/09/22 09:17 PM

Just noticed that I have no flashers or turn signals on my 69 GTX. Suggestions?

Attached picture 23302.jpeg
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/09/22 10:02 PM

brake lights?
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/09/22 10:28 PM

turn signal switch on the steering wheel?
Might just need the terminals cleaned, might need to be replaced.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/09/22 10:57 PM

How much wiring did you eliminate to go drag racing?
With a car that old, I would suspect the turn signal switch needs attention, but then again, if it doesn't connect to anything, even a NOS one isn't going to work.
The 4 way and the turn signals are separate circuits, you need to test each one independently of each other. The only things they share is the turn signal switch (each has its own part in the turn signal switch) and the wiring to the bulbs and the bright filament on the bulbs
It could be as easy as a fuse, or flasher unit. I'd start with those, and make sure the simple stuff is good.
Posted By: srt

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/09/22 11:49 PM

idk if you car has a connector @the bottom of dash where steering column is attached. That connector is notorious for getting fouled. Take apart, spray with de-oxit and reconnect, repeat a few times.
Posted By: mercman1

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/10/22 12:01 AM

The car in question is the street car in the right lane.
When I restored it back in 98-99, I replaced every wire in the car with new harnesses from Year One.
So the running lights and brake lights work.
No turn signals or flashers.

Are the silver I think 3 prong flashers different for turn signals and flashers or are they interchangeable?
Thanks to all.
Posted By: BDW

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/10/22 12:35 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/10/22 04:01 AM

Don’t overlook the bulbs themselves. I had a funky deal, in my 69 GTX last week and it was the led bulbs I put in last fall. Internal short.

That’s kinda freaky you have two of the same cars like that.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/10/22 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Don’t overlook the bulbs themselves. I had a funky deal, in my 69 GTX last week and it was the led bulbs I put in last fall. Internal short.

LED turn signals require a matching LED flasher as well, correct?
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/10/22 01:00 PM

Aren't flashers polarity sensitive?
That's why connectors only go on one way, check your wiring first.

Joe
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/10/22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by A39Coronet

That would be my question as well
Posted By: stumpy

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/10/22 03:37 PM

A regular flasher will work they just flash very fast. An electronic flasher is what is needed to make them flash correctly.
Posted By: second 70

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/10/22 03:45 PM

I remember as a broke 16 year old I would just switch the hardly ever used flasher with the turn flasher to get turn signals to work and leave the flasher not working. So it's real possible that both flashers are bad and since most people don't use the flashers sometimes the only time they do is to check them when the turn signals stop working. Lol It's so easy just to plug a new flasher in and see if it works. The 1 on the fuse box is normally the flashers and the turn signal one is hidden up under dash.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/10/22 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mercman1
When I restored it back in 98-99, I replaced every wire in the car with new harnesses from Year One.

Are the silver I think 3 prong flashers different for turn signals and flashers or are they interchangeable?
Thanks to all.

'69 Plymouth Service Manual shows the square two terminal flasher for the hazzards and another for the turn signals.

The hazard fuse covers several circuits and is always hot.
If the dome light works and the stop light works, then there's power to the fuse.
The stop light circuit shares wire D31 from the Fuse to the connector fo the flasher unit. if the stop light works, power is getting that far.

Turn signals only get power when the key is in Run or Accessory. They have no fuse. The flasher serves as circuit breaker.

The places that both connect are the turn switch itself, and the turn switch connector. using a voltmeter you can check for power at the turn switch connector (steering column) and the hazzard connector.

Attached picture Plymouth-B-Turn-Haz.jpg
Posted By: TJP

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/11/22 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mattax
Originally Posted by mercman1

Thanks to all.

'69 Plymouth Service Manual shows the square two terminal flasher for the hazzards and another for the turn signals.

The hazard fuse covers several circuits and is always hot.
If the dome light works and the stop light works, then there's power to the fuse.
The stop light circuit shares wire D31 from the Fuse to the connector fo the flasher unit. if the stop light works, power is getting that far.

Turn signals only get power when the key is in Run or Accessory. They have no fuse. The flasher serves as circuit breaker.

The places that both connect are the turn switch itself, and the turn switch connector. using a voltmeter you can check for power at the turn switch connector (steering column) and the hazzard connector.

nice job mattax bow beer

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/11/22 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by A39Coronet

The ones I had were yorkim and didn’t require one. They flashed same as old school ones. Worked fine for awhile. Just more modern crap that isn’t made to last. They were awesome bright though. Three times more you could easily tell against the garage door looking back to back with old style. Wasn’t meant to be.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/11/22 03:53 AM

If it work before and is not working now I would look for corroded or a open, broken wire wrench up
Those are two separate circuits, the turn signal circuit fed off the ignition switch and the flashers are not, correct scope up

Re: No turn signal or flashers - 05/12/22 02:40 AM

Interesting side note is the company saw my review and contacted me today about making it right. Guess we’ll see what that means.
© 2024 Moparts Forums