Moparts

"Stock type" clutch

Posted By: hemienvy

"Stock type" clutch - 04/10/22 03:21 AM

Here's the question, is it common for a shop to rebuild your clutch cover ?

Or does everyone just buy new ? Seems like a rebuild might be cheaper.

This is not anything too special, mild 432-inch / 4-speed / 3.91 sure grip.

Would they just resurface the pressure plate and maybe put in new springs ?
Posted By: fastmark

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/10/22 09:02 AM

I had a few rebuilt by a local company and they were not that good. I would send it off to Ram clutches. They still make the Borg and Beck style. I don’t care for the diaphragm style as they ratio is wrong for the Mopar linkage. I’m sure some here knows of more sources.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/10/22 11:37 AM

back when i was running 4spds rebuilding pressure plates was common. more of a borg&beck/long type thing. rebuilding diaphragms was not common but possible.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/10/22 04:12 PM

I tried to get one done a few weeks ago at the place that did them before and they will no longer do it. They still have everything, the jig to set finger height with mics and everything, but they just sell new now.
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/10/22 08:36 PM

Did a google search & found Fort Wayne Clutch & Driveline 800-258-8243,also Clutch & Brake of Asheville 828-252-6470.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/10/22 11:04 PM

Since Mcleod doesn't make the Borg and Beck anymore, I had them rebuild my pressure plate. I also sent them my flywheel and they balanced it to the pressure plate. So far so good. Send it to Mcleod so they can rebuild it.

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/10/22 11:49 PM

Hmmm, interesting, I didn't think it would get to the point where B&B is not common.
Maybe I should have saved all those B&B covers !

70 Sixpack, how much did Mcleod charge ?
Posted By: TJP

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/11/22 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by 4406bbl
I tried to get one done a few weeks ago at the place that did them before and they will no longer do it. They still have everything, the jig to set finger height with mics and everything, but they just sell new now.

Did you try Lincoln Clutch and brake ?

Myself I love Centerforce clutches a lot less stress on the linkage frame side mount etc. We have installed a butt load of them in the last 20+ years with only one issue which was a mismatched PP and disc. twocents beer

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/11/22 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by 4406bbl

Did you try Lincoln Clutch and brake ?

Myself I love Centerforce clutches a lot less stress on the linkage frame side mount etc. We have installed a butt load of them in the last 2 years with only one issue which was a mismatched PP and disc. twocents beer

No, I was just being lazy I can do it myelf in a press and using a valve spring compressor, but just wanted to pay someone as their setup could give me pressure and set the height in minutes, I wanted to use up what I have as it is a new mopar green with the good eyebolts.

As others have said the centerforce just feels wrong, like the timing is off in the 10.95 application for lack of a better term. The dual friction 10.5 works pretty nice. Tempting for sure for the leg as I get older.

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/11/22 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by hemienvy
Hmmm, interesting, I didn't think it would get to the point where B&B is not common.
Maybe I should have saved all those B&B covers !

70 Sixpack, how much did Mcleod charge ?

$75 to rebuild it and $125 to balance flywheel to the pressure plate.

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/11/22 02:20 AM

What a deal!!!
Posted By: mohvh

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/11/22 07:33 AM

I know that rebuilding is cheaper, but I think buying a new one is a better choice.
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/11/22 03:16 PM

I have taken several apart as I investigate orig clutches and pressure plates. With the clutch press which I had available, taking apart is not hard. You will probably find it may have been rebuit before, or the plate may be in poor shape.
Beware there were Heavy duty housing, levers and eyebolts. Thicker metal and larger eye bolts. Also there were high grade pressure plate. Most likely they will be warped and possibly bad heat spots. If warped significantly not worth having it machined. The plate may also be thin from a prior rebuilt.
You can test springs like valve springs and early service manual has the spring spec. Make sure you document how it comes apart.
Look for cracks in levers, worn pins, eyelets, pressure plate, etc...

I had 2 plates redone for Hemi specific 101/2" housing. Have reenforced plates for the rollers. It was a fun exercise, but I would not put it in a drag car.

Attached picture 20201120_151552_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20201120_151652_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20201211_162417.jpg
Attached picture 20201120_151638_resized.jpg

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/11/22 04:12 PM

Dragonslayer, Thanks for that.

Good and interesting points. I'll take a closer look at this used cover I've got.

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/11/22 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by mohvh
I know that rebuilding is cheaper, but I think buying a new one is a better choice.

I agree but Mcleod doesn't make my Borg and Beck pressure plate (360153) any more.

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/11/22 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by 70sixpkrt
Originally Posted by mohvh

I agree but Mcleod doesn't make my Borg and Beck pressure plate (360153) any more.

Ram and others still have them in normal and competition grade, but I have no idea if the roller assist is there if you want new stuff.

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/13/22 03:46 PM

Evidently there's a place in Eugene Oregon that rebuilds them, but I don't have a name.

Anyone know ?
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: "Stock type" clutch - 04/14/22 08:16 PM

https://www.rochesterclutch.com/
Talk to Sammy - he speaks mopar.
Do it correctly
Get a custom clutch from RCB - you can specify how heavy a clutch pedal you want. 2800lbs would be fine for your application and easy on you
buy the 6 paddle disc with the metallic pucks and never look back- the only caveat is the bell house needs to be dialed in very close to 0.0000
I have used RCB clutches - nothing better

sogtx has one of RCB's clutches with the 6 paddle disc behind a alum head 505 6 pak [A12 car] attached to a passon 5 sp with 4:10s...ask him

Attached picture Adirondaks 015.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums