Moparts

Lost 1969 roadrunner keys

Posted By: Sammy

Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/08/22 09:35 PM

What can I do to open trunk and replace Door and ignition cylinders?
This is going to be a real PITA
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/08/22 09:43 PM

Take a door lock cylinder out and give it to a lock smith. The old ones had the key code stamped on it. Same with the trunk. Pull the rear seat and unbolt the latch. Take the cylinder out and give it to the lock smith.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/08/22 10:08 PM

The trunk latch can stay in.

Tape a medium size standard screwdriver to something like a broom handle.

Insert it in the lock hole on the inside of the latch and twist.
Posted By: VL21

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/08/22 10:19 PM

If there is any chance it had a locking glove box, and it still matched the locks, remove the lock assembly and the locksmith will make you a trunk key.

For the ignition, use a door lock cylinder.

Assuming that over the last 53 years nothing has been swapped.

Good luck. Getting into the trunk isn't bad, but if you have aged as gracefully as I, you will likely need to recruit someone, ah, more agile than me.

Honestly, I think a good locksmith can make the keys, without all the calisthenics, but it will require a service call.
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/08/22 10:27 PM

A locksmith can make a key without removing the lock cylinders from the car. The process is called 'impressioning' and a good locksmith should be able to do this. If you get a 'deer in the headlights' look when you mention it, find another locksmith!
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/09/22 12:35 AM

Had to have keys made for my 51 Plymouth. I only had an ignition key. So I took out both door locks, the trunk lock and the glovebox lock and went to my local locksmith and dropped them off. A couple days later I had two keys made for each lock and all the lock cylinders cleaned up and lubed. $65.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/09/22 12:49 AM

Bet you find them as soon as you get the new ones. wink
I misplaced a 4 d cell MAGlight many years back. I looked for that thing for 6 Months. I happened to be at home depot in the checkout line and there was a brand new one hanging from a rack. Screw it i said and bought it. I swear I wasn't home 5 minutes, opened a seldom used cupboard, looked up and there was the SOB on the top shelf LOL I was flame haha beer
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/09/22 01:32 AM

Or, if you know someone that has a lot of old Mopar keys (I've got a bag with about 50 different Mopar keys), the odds are pretty good he has a key that would match your locks.

Good luck with a locksmith. We were on vacation in CO and my wife lost the trunk key. I was able to get it open and pulled the lock assembly, took it to 3 different locksmiths to have them make a key, two said they could when I left the lock assembly with them for a day, but neither would make a key. One of them told me it was a "liability issue", he couldn't be sure the lock assembly I brought in belonged to me. shruggy I brought you a lock assembly to have a key made for, but somehow it matters if that lock assembly maybe doesn't belong to me, so you have some kind of liability to make a key for it? How about if I bolt it back in the car, will you make a key for me then? Nope!

I didn't have any issues getting a key made here in town.

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/09/22 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by poorboy
Or, if you know someone that has a lot of old Mopar keys (I've got a bag with about 50 different Mopar keys), the odds are pretty good he has a key that would match your locks.

Good luck with a locksmith. We were on vacation in CO and my wife lost the trunk key. I was able to get it open and pulled the lock assembly, took it to 3 different locksmiths to have them make a key, two said they could when I left the lock assembly with them for a day, but neither would make a key. One of them told me it was a "liability issue", he couldn't be sure the lock assembly I brought in belonged to me. shruggy I brought you a lock assembly to have a key made for, but somehow it matters if that lock assembly maybe doesn't belong to me, so you have some kind of liability to make a key for it? How about if I bolt it back in the car, will you make a key for me then? Nope!

I didn't have any issues getting a key made here in town.

That is BS. I understand when you go to a dealer asking to make a key by the cars VIN number. But when you bring them the lock and they will not make a key for it. [censored]. You should of showed him the car with the hole in the trunk.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/09/22 03:41 AM

if you can come up with the lock's key codes - I could help you out

Attached picture 1967-1972 Keys 3050.jpg
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/09/22 05:18 PM

I fI remember correctly, Chrysler had only about 23 tumbler combos for the ignition key.
I found that out after my Plymouth key opened my buddy's Dodge in an emergency lock-out.

Joe
Posted By: topside

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/09/22 05:38 PM

I remember that the keys to our '57 Plymouth worked perfectly in a neighbor's '66 Coronet.
Found that out one day during some teenage clowning around.

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/09/22 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by jlatessa
I fI remember correctly, Chrysler had only about 23 tumbler combos for the ignition key.
I found that out after my Plymouth key opened my buddy's Dodge in an emergency lock-out.

Joe

While you can get lucky there are way more than 23 combinations. The EP and ES series keys have 5 positions with 6 possible tumblers and drivers for each position. You do the math.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/09/22 06:41 PM

while the math would be: 6 x 6 x 6 x 6 x 6 = 7,776 combinations

the factory only used ES/EP 0001 thru 3000 (at least through the mid-'70s)

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/10/22 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by 6bblgt

So is that more than 23. [LOL]
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/10/22 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN
Originally Posted by 6bblgt

So is that more than 23. [LOL]

Never said it worked every time, but old keys have worked in other cars many times over the last 20 years. If you have a bag full of keys, it may be worth the time to try them out. You don't need a key for every combination, you just need the one key that matches the lock you have.
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/10/22 05:45 PM

While the possible combinations may have been quite high,
the accuracy to which the keys and tumblers would have had
to been manufactured to use those possibilities would have needed some Rolex craftsmen designing
the machines.

If you remember the stock door gaps in the 60s, maybe not????

Joe
Posted By: second 70

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/11/22 03:50 PM

I've seen some locks so poor you could unlock them with just a small screwdriver.
Posted By: WINGNUT

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/11/22 04:17 PM

I have over 650 ignition keys and over 350 trunk keys. Send me your trunk lock and a door lock and I'll find a key for both. No charge. WINGNUT
Posted By: moparx

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/23/22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by WINGNUT
I have over 650 ignition keys and over 350 trunk keys. Send me your trunk lock and a door lock and I'll find a key for both. No charge. WINGNUT

^^^^^^^ GREAT GUY ALERT ! ^^^^^^^ up bow
beer
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/23/22 06:03 PM

Agreed!

Wingnut, can you match from existing keys, if you would sell a set?
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Lost 1969 roadrunner keys - 04/23/22 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by WINGNUT

^^^^^^^ GREAT GUY ALERT ! ^^^^^^^ up bow
beer

OOORRRR now he knows what key the car needs and the address drive

Just kidding beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums