Moparts

Casting number for hemi 4spd trans

Posted By: migsBIG

Casting number for hemi 4spd trans - 03/18/22 05:37 PM

Getting in a couple transmissions and not much of a 4spd guy and trying to figure out if they might be hemi or std strand cases. Besides the 18-23 spline count, are there any case numbers that can be used to verify the transmission? I have a few pics of one of the trans coming in, but would be nice to keep numbers for cases handy for future scavenger hunts.

Attached picture 179EAE48-221F-4F8E-BB8E-11F1B4F41D72.jpeg
Attached picture 89FB4913-78B0-45AC-9ED9-37C6BC592E2A.jpeg
Attached picture 77141BCF-2467-4251-A11C-D2FA6FF525A1.jpeg
Attached picture F27361C1-09CE-4EED-8A21-20397EA4DF56.jpeg
Posted By: mdwyer

Re: Casting number for hemi 4spd trans - 03/18/22 08:25 PM

looks by the size of that input bearing and tail housing that it came out of an 70's A/F body. probably a A833OD xsmn
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Casting number for hemi 4spd trans - 03/18/22 09:59 PM

sorry, but that is not a hemi 4 speed
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Casting number for hemi 4spd trans - 03/18/22 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleBeeper
sorry, but that is not a hemi 4 speed
iagree
Count the splines on the input shaft, they look like 23 splines to me and the case and tail shaft housing look like they are for a A body built after 1966, not for a 1966 A body.
All the SS A body 4 speed Hemi tranny cars came with B body 18 spline trannies, never with 23 splines tsk
I would bet a tiny bit of money, less than a hundred dollars , that the 1964 and 1965 race hemi 4 speed cars came with 23 spline tranny, maybe not confused

Re: Casting number for hemi 4spd trans - 03/18/22 10:46 PM

That’s what I was thinking. It looks like a f-body trans to me and looks like there is a date of 1978 on it. Is there a list of part numbers available for manual 4spd id?

Attached picture CC7C27C5-56F0-416E-B872-4022711502CA.jpeg
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Casting number for hemi 4spd trans - 03/19/22 12:09 AM

I was always under the impression that the cases were pretty much interchangeable. The primary difference between the Hemi box and the standard 833 was the input shaft and gears inside the trans. The input shaft diameter and teeth count is the fastest, easiest, and probably the most reliable method of determining a Hemi box. If the input shaft is correct, everything inside the box pretty much has to match. Once you have seen a Hemi 11 spline input shaft, its pretty easy to identify the difference between it and a 23 spline input shaft.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Casting number for hemi 4spd trans - 03/19/22 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by poorboy
I was always under the impression that the cases were pretty much interchangeable. The primary difference between the Hemi box and the standard 833 was the input shaft and gears inside the trans. The input shaft diameter and teeth count is the fastest, easiest, and probably the most reliable method of determining a Hemi box. If the input shaft is correct, everything inside the box pretty much has to match. Once you have seen a Hemi 11 spline input shaft, its pretty easy to identify the difference between it and a 23 spline input shaft.

18 spline….not 11.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Casting number for hemi 4spd trans - 03/19/22 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by migsBIG
That’s what I was thinking. It looks like a f-body trans to me and looks like there is a date of 1978 on it. Is there a list of part numbers available for manual 4spd id?

Could've been in a colt, they had hemis, 4 cyl ones though wink biggrin

Re: Casting number for hemi 4spd trans - 03/19/22 01:09 AM

Thanks for the info everyone.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Casting number for hemi 4spd trans - 03/20/22 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda

18 spline….not 11.

OOPS!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Casting number for hemi 4spd trans - 03/21/22 03:06 PM

There is a difference in the main case and tailshaft housing for B bodies 68 and 69 , vs. 67. The 67 had the 307 bearing and the smallblock size bearing retainer , in 68 they went to the 308 bearings which required bigger bearing bores in the front of the case and the front of the tailhousing.This also required a larger OD on the bearing retainer on the front of the trans, the id of the bearing is the same so Hemi guts can be swapped into 307 bearing cases, which one would do if trying to make a hemi trans for an A body ..

But the trans above is clearly not a Hemi trans ...
© 2024 Moparts Forums