Moparts

Are there any good spray can primers?

Posted By: 340SIX

Are there any good spray can primers? - 02/24/22 06:28 AM

I do a lot of small parts and hate having to clean up after shooting them with my good HPLP Gun.
So was wondering if there are any good products in spray bombs?
I am not talking about the ones that have a hardener in the base of the cans, as those must be used just one time and done
Thanks.
Posted By: A12

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 02/24/22 07:32 AM

SEM products

Attached picture 81s4Jypno6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Attached picture 81-vpIrtJ2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Attached picture 81qkulQ6B+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 02/24/22 10:36 AM

HPLP gun? Something new?
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 02/24/22 10:51 AM

You asked for "good" witch epoxy is(two part rattle cans). The sem stuff is not epoxy so it may be "good" but not as "good" as epoxy.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 02/24/22 11:51 AM

maybe look into a Prevail spray gun.
it's basically a make your own spray bomb.
available at most quality hardware stores and pretty cheap also..

https://preval.com/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-oz-Complete-Spray-Gun-267/202533738

Posted By: Sniper

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 02/24/22 01:14 PM

You can buy an airbrush setup from Hobby Lobby, among other places. I used that to repaint the side covers on my bike to match the tank years ago, worked just fine.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 02/24/22 01:58 PM

I just played around with the Spray Max two part rattle can stuff (I know you said no to these but why?) it seems like a good product and at about $25 a can delivered, it’s about as cheap as mixing your own given the price of paint these days, unless you mixing really small batches.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 02/24/22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
I just played around with the Spray Max two part rattle can stuff (I know you said no to these but why?) it seems like a good product and at about $25 a can delivered, it’s about as cheap as mixing your own given the price of paint these days, unless you mixing really small batches.

I do not know how to multi quote sorry.
As,far as the guns I use they are HVLP Sharpee. But my screen was cracked so typed wrong sorry.
The Spray Max is great but is once and done as the primers and paints are catalyzed so can not save what's not used for later.
If I needed thst much I woukd use my gun.
I have PPG DP40 epoxy and Evercoat 2K Slicksand High Build in my cabinets.
I saw the SEM etch cans but did not know thet had high build thanks.
I build or work in its if small things and was just looking for the ease of spray bomb it for later vs turning the compressor on, mixing primer, getting hoses , hooking up an extra water separater. Then mixing primer clean gun and pick everything up for just a small part like I have been doing.

Thanks for all the replys
Posted By: kork340

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/03/22 07:21 PM

Eastwood has a new 2k primer in a spray can that supposedly mixes in the air so can doesn't have to be used all at once. Eastwood 2K DuraSpray claims unlimited pot life. Haven't tried it but it's out there.
Posted By: ek3

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/03/22 09:21 PM

short of a catalyzed product, you can use a moisture cure urethane. this product is just as good as it gets! buy a gallon and have it put in to spray cans. it is expensive. anything that really works will be. this will solve the set up clean up. if you use this product, you will need to topcoat it within 24 hrs. or sand it to get a top coat to stick. I guarantee you this stuff will stop rust ! https://gulfcoastpaint.com/product/mcu-100-primer-finish-moisture-cured-urethane-aluminum-coating/
Posted By: 83hurstguy

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/04/22 12:08 PM

I second the SEM primers - obviously not activated/hardened but about as good as you can get from a rattle can. I really like the high build as it helps fill sanding scratches and such, and the can sprays really nicely. I tried the Sherwin-Williams equivalent last week and was not nearly as impressed.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/04/22 02:58 PM

one of the best spray bomb primers i ever used was, believe it or not, the red oxide "dollar store" brand. shock
great coverage, stuck well, sprayed well, very durable even when not top coated, and was only 99 cents for a "large" size [bigger than the normal size] can. a couple of us bought out the whole stock when it was delivered each tuesday [wednesday maybe, i forget] late afternoon.
however, like most good things in life, it was discontinued.[sometime in the mid 80's, i think]
as we had quite the stock built up, we used that stuff for years after we couldn't get it any more.
another good thing about that stuff, was it sprayed as it should even when the stuff was old, unlike some cans today that just spit when they are old, no matter how much you shake 'em to mix.
beer
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/04/22 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
sprayed as it should even when the stuff was old, unlike some cans today that just spit when they are old, no matter how much you shake 'em to mix.
beer

I read that you can re-pressurize an aerosol can with an air hose after pulling the nozzle off the can.
I've never tried it but maybe someone here has.
Posted By: A12

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/04/22 06:01 PM

Works according to a good friend........but sometimes it ends up spraying you too fan
Posted By: Neil

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/04/22 06:50 PM

I put PPG DP primer into a Preval sprayer for smallish things all the time. You have to play with the reducer amount to get it to lay down smooth sometimes, but other than that they work good and don't put out much overspray or waste into the air like a paint gun does.

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/06/22 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Powerflow
sprayed as it should even when the stuff was old, unlike some cans today that just spit when they are old, no matter how much you shake 'em to mix.
beer

I read that you can re-pressurize an aerosol can with an air hose after pulling the nozzle off the can.

i've done this, sometimes with mixed results.
you need a good, rubber tipped blow gun [that seals good around the can port], preferably modified by enlarging the internal orifice[s]. this gives extra air volume, which helps tremendously.
regulate the air pressure to 100lbs, place can on floor or other comfortable position so it doesn't move, place blow gun over can port so it seals, then apply pressure until you hear it equalize, just like filling a tire.
if you have been successful, can will now spray. if not, look closely at can port for dried paint or other crud, examine rubber gun tip to be sure it seals the can port completely, then try again.
it does take some "learnin' " to do this, [at least it did for me. biggrin] so don't get discouraged.
beer
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/07/22 01:52 AM

Don't do this.....trust me.
beer

Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/07/22 01:56 AM

For a basic "air dry", I do like the SEM primer. The guys that mentioned the "moisture cure 1-component" urethane in a spray can & mix/spray 2-component epoxy (I haven't seen that) are definitely correct about MUCH better durability vs. an air dry primer. fyi- urethanes will take sunlight, but epoxy won't + epoxy is much better vs. gasoline/alcohol chemical resistance vs. a urethane
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/07/22 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleBeeper
Don't do this.....trust me.
beer

Yes, you can do this with a tire stem, and it works for a few days. Eventually the outside air that is now inside the can will cause the paint to dry up and harden. Search You Tube for a video.

Attached picture IMG_2361.jpg
Posted By: 360view

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/07/22 12:04 PM

If a product has been sprayed with a first coat of galvanizing paint,
is there a special primer that can be a 2nd coat over the galvanizing
that will enable a 3rd coat of paint chosen because it holds up good against sunlight?

What primers do automakers use that will enable paint to stick to zinc coated sheet metal?
Posted By: Neil

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/07/22 04:57 PM

Last time I looked at the PPG DPLF data sheet I think it says you can spray it over clean galvanized coated metal with no sanding or scuffing required.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/08/22 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by 360view
If a product has been sprayed with a first coat of galvanizing paint,
is there a special primer that can be a 2nd coat over the galvanizing
that will enable a 3rd coat of paint chosen because it holds up good against sunlight?

What primers do automakers use that will enable paint to stick to zinc coated sheet metal?

Gulf of Mexico off-shore platforms are commonly sandblasted to white metal, primed with zinc-rich primer, primed again with regular primer, and then top coated with paint. You can mimic this marine paint system with good cleaning, zinc-rich primer, followed by regular primer, then top coated. Several times I have used any good rattle can primer over zinc-rich primer and then top coated with good result.

Auto makers use paintable zinc coated steel sheet called Galvanneal, which is cold rolled steel sheet that has been hot dip galvanized or electro-zinc plated followed by annealing. The annealing process causes iron atoms in the base metal to mix with the zinc atoms on the surface, making the surface paintable. So galvanized steel sheet is not paintable, but heat treated galvanized sheet is paintable. Galvanneal is also the non-rusting metal most often used in painted and un-painted electronic and computer cabinets/frames, and it is often automotive gauge, 0.032", because that is a common and economical thickness with high availability in the steel market.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/08/22 12:27 PM

Thank you Neil and kentj340 for the info.
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/08/22 04:44 PM

Carquest has the best spray can primers. They sell legit epoxy primers and more, even accurate paint codes in a can

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/23/22 02:37 PM

what brand is the carquest paint ?
or is it just "carquest" brand on the label ?
who makes it for carquest ? i can't believe carquest makes paint in their labeled spray bombs, but i have been wrong more times than right, and the older i get, the dumber i find i really am ! whistling biggrin
beer
Posted By: mopar muscle7271

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/23/22 02:46 PM

Spray max brand is a good primer
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/23/22 06:24 PM

I used these to prime and paint the underside of my convertible in the early 80's and it is still good paint. Not show quality shiny but solid.

Mix your preferred primer/paint, even catalyzed paint, pour it in the bottle and go to town. Nozzle assembly gets tossed when it is empty so no worries about a clogged nozzle from paint with hardener's in it.

Attached picture Preval Sprayer.jpg

Re: Are there any good spray can primers? - 04/23/22 06:46 PM

those things work good, but you would think by now, as many years as they have been available, they would have a fan spray nozzle. wonder why they don't ? shruggy
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums