Moparts

Superbird Wing or conversion kit

Posted By: cspracer

Superbird Wing or conversion kit - 02/17/22 05:15 PM

Before I order a kit, I thought I would check to see if anyone had a wing they decided to not use, or even a full conversion kit?
I am going to make a Superbird clone for the drag strip and wanted to start with the wing. I know many folks get started on building a car and get side tracked or simply run out of money. Since I am not looking for a show quality piece, I thought I would see what was out there.
Thanks.
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: Superbird Wing or conversion kit - 02/17/22 05:52 PM

Not helpful, but a question.....
Were the street car production pieces and the repops(specifically the rear wing) able to offer the functionality/performance of the raced units?
Posted By: cspracer

Re: Superbird Wing or conversion kit - 02/17/22 06:03 PM

I doubt it, based on the ones I have seen recently that were fiberglass reproductions. I run my car in the 1/8th mile at the drag strip, so I do not expect any benefit performance wise. I am adding it strictly as an attention getter!
I saw one this past weekend at caffeine and Octane that was rough as it could be and the guy said you would not believe the attention it gets. The original wing cars simply don't get seen very often anymore, especially at the dragstrip. These were never really build to drag race, but more for Nascar. I watch as person afetr person came by and walked right by many cars that were more expensive and nice, just to look at the winged car.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Superbird Wing or conversion kit - 02/18/22 02:28 PM

Used to see a blue one at the tracks around DFW a few years back. Always got a lot of attention.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Superbird Wing or conversion kit - 02/18/22 05:53 PM

Could try a post on dodgecharger site too, a lot of aero cars talked about there. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/board,17.0.html
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Superbird Wing or conversion kit - 02/19/22 04:48 AM

The factory wings were the same, the race cars just got a piece of cable run thru them and bolted in the trunk to contain them in a crash. I was in David Patiks barn in 1979-80 and he had tons of nascar bird fenders and nosecones, they were indeed factory parts welded on. What a collection he had.
© 2024 Moparts Forums