Moparts

Reverse lights don’t work

Posted By: Runner1

Reverse lights don’t work - 02/09/22 11:34 PM

Hello!
I have a 68 coronet, auto 727, and my reverse lights don’t work. I have the single prong neutral safety switch, replaced that and the wire to the starter relay.

Followed the reverse light wire to the bulkhead on the kick panel, and followed it from there to the firewall bulk harness. There are no wires connected to it from firewall bulkhead to the engine harness.
Checked the wiring schematic and all looks correct.

Can anyone provide assistance
Thx
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/09/22 11:51 PM

I'm not sure if 68 Dodge is the same as 68 Plymouth... On my 68 Road Runner (column automatic) the reverse light switch is located at the very bottom of the steering column by the firewall. There is a small plastic spike that actuates the switch. It is easily lost or broken. You loosen the attaching hardware to rotate for switch adjustment.

Attached picture oldcolumn2.JPG
Attached picture newcolumn1.JPG
Posted By: A12

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/10/22 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by 68jim
I'm not sure if 68 Dodge is the same as 68 Plymouth... On my 68 Road Runner (column automatic) the reverse light switch is located at the very bottom of the steering column by the firewall. There is a small plastic spike that actuates the switch. It is easily lost or broken. You loosen the attaching hardware to rotate for switch adjustment.

Yep that black post broke on my '68 Road Runner column automatic. I found the broken post and repaired it with a sheet metal screw through the center of the broken post. Then found a new one and held on to it if the repair didn't hold probably still in the glovebox still waiting for the call.

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/10/22 12:55 AM

Just pulled up some old photos of that black reverse switch pin and I think what happed to mine was that the four tabs at the base were worn and the pin wouldn't stay in the column? I think I push a plastic pin or tube inside of the end of it down to those four tabs at the base to spread them and that helped to keep it secured to the column? Don't know where I found a new reverse pin/post but that's the best fix if it is the problem......or you can try this.

Attached picture DSC01724.JPG
Attached picture DSC01712.JPG
Attached picture DSC01720.JPG

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/10/22 01:05 AM

My car is an auto on the console, I don’t think I have that black switch I’ll check in the morning thx for the response

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/10/22 01:13 AM

Here is a pic of my console, auto on console

Photo attached thx

Attached picture 9E152CA1-DD69-4428-BC2D-E2AEB096A6D5.jpeg

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/10/22 01:25 AM

Well thank goodness and hopefully it doesn't need that little plastic pin because I remember it being really stupid expensive for a piece of PLASTIC. This is what I just found and REALLY ARE YOU S#!**!&@ ME https://www.moparmall.com/MoPar-p-n-2883211-Reverse-Lamp-Switch-Pin-p/801-547.htm

Am I reading that price correctly scope
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/10/22 01:36 AM

moparmall is a great way to overspend on stuff
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/10/22 03:03 AM

The reverse light switch pin broke on my '68 Valiant back in the '70's and the price was crazy even back then. I added a toggle switch for the lights to come on manually instead of automatically. It got me by the state safety inspection so I was happy.
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/10/22 12:24 PM

If you make a harness to extend the black and white wires to the neutral safety switch and change comb/ switch to 3 prong you don't need the column/console/shifter switch anymore.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/10/22 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Runner1
My car is an auto on the console, I don’t think I have that black switch I’ll check in the morning thx for the response

Here's what the console BU light switch looks like.

Attached picture BU Switch.PNG
Posted By: moparx

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/10/22 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by B1MAXX
If you make a harness to extend the black and white wires to the neutral safety switch and change comb/ switch to 3 prong you don't need the column/console/shifter switch anymore.

the rooster comb on the valvebody needs changed as well to use the 69 up three prong NSS.
just clarifying the above statement in case anyone may be confused.
beer
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/10/22 06:47 PM

I have the opposite issue with my car (70 Challenger). The reverse light stays on in every gear except park. Off in park but on in R, N, 1,2,3 with RMVB and a transbrake.

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/10/22 11:38 PM

Thank you guys appreciate the help! Couldn’t find that damn switch now I know!!
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/11/22 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE
I have the opposite issue with my car (70 Challenger). The reverse light stays on in every gear except park. Off in park but on in R, N, 1,2,3 with RMVB and a transbrake.

The BU lights are controlled by the metal contact in the switch (red circle below), as long as the contact is extended the lights are on, when the contact is depressed by the plastic shoe the lights are off. If the plastic shoe is broken, the contact will remain extended in gears other than Reverse.

Attached picture BU Switch_n_ shoe.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Reverse lights don’t work - 02/11/22 06:07 PM

the lights will stay on if the plastic part is loose on the rooster comb as well.
they are usually broken as John says, but i ran into this one time, and pulled a bunch of hair out of my head until i clamped the retaining tabs a little tighter on the plastic shoe piece.
i didn't think being a little loose would matter if the shoe was not broken, but after snugging it up, the lights worked as they should, only on in reverse.
the plastic was just loose enough to allow the pin to push on the plastic, moving it just enough to complete the circuit.
drove me nutz until i figured it out. runaway
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums