Moparts

Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440

Posted By: toplescuda

Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440 - 02/07/22 08:52 PM

Was thinking of buying a set msd. Street fires plug wires. For the 440 They are pre assembled and have straight plug ends on them
Will they fit with out touching the headers?
I have never had any luck with a straight plug. With headers
Posted By: moparx

Re: Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440 - 02/08/22 05:08 PM

do you have the headers you are going to run ?
if so, they should tell you if they will work with straight plug boots.
if you do not have the headers, i would wait until you do. then buy plug wires with the correct ends that will work.
don't be surprised if you need a combination of various ends so the boots do not touch the pipes.
beer
Posted By: topside

Re: Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440 - 02/08/22 05:35 PM

^^^ This.
I usually end up with mostly 90-degree boots on a BB.
And usually run them below the headers, often with the factory brackets.

Re: Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440 - 02/08/22 05:55 PM

i forgot to say, angle plug heads [RPM's and others] can require different combinations than straight plug heads.
it all hinges on what you are going to use for headers. get them first before even thinking about plug wires.
you may even consider buying a roll of plug wire and a bunch of different ends, then making a custom set of wires. it's not all that hard to do, but it can be a little more expensive. if i can do it, "a caveman can"............ biggrin
beer
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440 - 02/08/22 06:05 PM

I wanted factory terminated plug ends, had to by 2 sets. 1 90* 1 str. used 4 of each. b-body with hooker headers, now have spare set. you do not want 5-7 running side by side 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, "they say" they will crossfire.

Posted By: GY3

Re: Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440 - 02/08/22 06:28 PM

Go Firecore.

You can specify which boot you want for each wire.

Some of the best wires I've had (better than MSD, Taylor, etc.)
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440 - 02/08/22 07:20 PM

Firecore here too, get the three types of bare boots, 90-45-straight and try each cylinder with installed header.

Spec that to Firecore, he generally can tell you lengths based on your combo.

Joe
Posted By: wingman

Re: Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440 - 02/08/22 08:58 PM

On my 383 and my 440, I really needed an assortment to work perfectly. Some cylinders called for straight, some 45, and some 90.

I'd get the headers first, then custom order a set wire-by-wire. As others have said, there are sets that you can order that way.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440 - 02/08/22 09:36 PM

Firecore here also.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440 - 02/10/22 09:29 AM

I already have the headers. Bought years ago. Off eBay. And that is bout all I remember about them. And that the bolt holes fit like crap lol

Car has been a back burner for years. And it's just a little here. Little there as time goes by. And while time. Money and work. Permits

Re: Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440 - 02/10/22 05:13 PM

saying the bolt holes fit like crap prompted me to relay this to you.
cut the flanges between the end pipes and the center pair.
drill the one hole to 25/64, drill the other hole to 7/16 or 29/64 on each pipe flange.
doing this will almost guarantee the pipes will seal.
this allows the pipes to move around a little bit during the heating and cooling process, preventing leaks to occur.
i stole this idea from member Mr. P-Body 20 years or so ago, and even the junkiest set of headers sealed up perfectly ! boogie
beer
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440 - 02/10/22 08:24 PM

Buttcrack has it right, done this on two sets now, nary a leak.
I didn't do the larger hole fix, but I'm sure that helps with fitment too.

Joe
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Msd.. street fire plug wires on 440 - 02/16/22 04:14 PM

I bought the 8.5mm Super Conductors. They have straight boots that have a spot that can be bent. Work with TTi headers. Weird thing is there is no mention in the instructions. I called MSD.
© 2024 Moparts Forums