Moparts

Spring perches - which ones?

Posted By: GomangoCuda

Spring perches - which ones? - 02/02/22 01:12 AM

Car has caltracs, monoleafs, dana60, dot drag radials

https://www.doctordiff.com/leaf-spring-perches-pair.html ---------- Looks oem $15

https://calvertracing.com/product-categories/parts/ ---------- Looks stronger $50
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Spring perches - which ones? - 02/02/22 01:58 AM

Your choice up
i have collapse a stock 8 3/4 axle housing at the spring perch when I had issues with broken plates on the stock 8 3/4 early clutch type posi unit, the posi would slip a tiny bit and then hit a like stick shift dropping the clutch, very violent: tsk
Stronger can't hurt twocents work:
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Spring perches - which ones? - 02/02/22 02:11 PM

Moroso 85090 is also decent option.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Spring perches - which ones? - 02/02/22 04:59 PM

I just bought a set of the Summit Brand perches. I do plan on boxing them, which was originally recommended by Calvert.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Spring perches - which ones? - 02/02/22 04:59 PM

or just box in the OEM perches ? shruggy
super easy to do and cheap as well.
beer
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Spring perches - which ones? - 02/02/22 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
or just box in the OEM perches ? shruggy
super easy to do and cheap as well.
beer

I don't have any perches on it at this time. The Dana60 came from some Camaro guy that cut them off and welded on some kind of housing floater brackets and never got any further with his project. At least he didn't get ladderbar or fourlink brackets welded on for me to grind off. I've got the floater brackets ground off and just need some spring perches.

So what I was really asking about was since I am working with a clean slate should I get the stronger brackets made for the Caltracs or are the OEM style adequate? I have never bent one but then I have been kind of babying the 8 3/4 for years. This is just a Street/Strip toy like many on here.
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Spring perches - which ones? - 02/02/22 08:22 PM

US CAR TOOL he's a moparts sponsor, also boxed
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Spring perches - which ones? - 02/02/22 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
Car has caltracs, monoleafs, dana60, dot drag radials

Same here; I had CalTrac perches put on my Strange S-60 when it was built simply because they're stronger than anything OEM-like.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Spring perches - which ones? - 02/02/22 09:12 PM

Make sure the center hole is right size. Get the cheap one and run a strap over the housing connecting the end on both sides, a couple 1” beads will hold it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums