Moparts

2011 ram no start

Posted By: ekim

2011 ram no start - 01/27/22 11:54 PM

i bought this new, with the old style v6 now has 187000 miles and starting a few months ago wierd electrical issues came up. check engine light would come on for a day and then go off by itself. then the low tire light would come on for an hour and then go off, one time it flashed on then went right back off, (the tires had enough air in them) then the radio would only get a few of the presets

this morning, coldest day yet 4 deg f it cranked for about 1/4 second and and just stopped cranking as if it blew a circut breaker. i wiggled the at shifter but nothing, dome light and dash lights come on but no cranking, any thoughts? maybe neutral saf switch?
i wanted to try it in neutral but i have no idea how to get it out of park. thanks
Posted By: A12

Re: 2011 ram no start - 01/28/22 12:59 AM

Don't know if you can find the fault codes on your RAM like this but it is possible on a lot of earlier RAM and Chrysler products. Then you might try rebooting by disconnecting the battery for ten minutes or less?

Posted By: stumpy

Re: 2011 ram no start - 01/28/22 01:43 AM

Get the battery tested. The newer vehicles go stupid if the battery is weak.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 2011 ram no start - 01/28/22 03:48 AM

Original battery????
Posted By: Hrtbkr

Re: 2011 ram no start - 01/28/22 05:44 AM

A buddy just went through this with his '11.
It turned out to be the fuel pump relay.
The recommended fix was to replace the entire fuse block.
He found a relay bypass kit instead.

Re: 2011 ram no start - 01/28/22 08:51 AM

i forgot to say it is a 3 month old battery
Posted By: dvw

Re: 2011 ram no start - 01/28/22 12:46 PM

Start here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44yn04pKdSk If it cranks by by jumping the relay the bcm isn't controlling the start relay. As I remember the bcm ground is on the left fender well near the hood hinge. A poor BCM ground would explain the weird behavior. If that doesn't do it you need to scan it for faults.
Doug
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 2011 ram no start - 01/28/22 03:41 PM

Get a volt meter on it and see what the reading is. Check right on the posts first and see if its around 12.6 and go from there.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 2011 ram no start - 01/28/22 07:58 PM

i'm not too familiar with how the under hood main fuse box is in relation to the battery, but i have fixed a few new[er] vehicles wiring problems by looking for the "green death" in the wiring bundle or under/by the battery tray.
it seems the battery gasses over time, degrade the insulation and connections close by the battery, causing all kinds of goofy stuff to happen.
look close at all the ground connections [if any] by the battery as well. they may look good on the top side, but hide "green death" under them, and possibly creeping up the wire as well, under the insulation.
just something else to look at.
hopefully, it will be a relatively easy fix.
beer

Re: 2011 ram no start - 01/28/22 11:44 PM

loose battery cable
thanks
Posted By: moparx

Re: 2011 ram no start - 01/29/22 06:11 PM

well that was an easy fix ! up
glad for ya it wasn't anything bad. [especially if it is cold where you are at !]
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums