Moparts

Fuel Sending Unit

Posted By: DusterKid

Fuel Sending Unit - 01/14/22 04:16 PM

Need a fuel sending unit for a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere 3/8 line. Which brand have you guys had good luck with? I've found some and they vary a good bit in price, wasn't sure if the cheap ones are any good or not.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Fuel Sending Unit - 01/14/22 05:00 PM

i have tried a couple from van's auto and they have worked pretty good.
just install them without the gasket, then manipulate them with a rod of some sort while your buddy watches the dash gauge to confirm the gauge is close to what you raise and lower the float arm to.
my charger has one, and a buddy's dart has one.
as both of these tanks have a side fill neck, it was easy to move the float arm and see what was going on.
make sure you check the retainer ring thickness. if it's thinner than your original, use your original retainer ring.
beer
Posted By: TJP

Re: Fuel Sending Unit - 01/15/22 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by moparx
just install them without the gasket, then manipulate them with a rod of some sort while your buddy watches the dash gauge to confirm the gauge is close to what you raise and lower the float arm to.
as both of these tanks have a side fill neck, it was easy to move the float arm and see what was going on.
make sure you check the retainer ring thickness. if it's thinner than your original, use your original retainer ring.
beer

I have yet to find any that work out of the box in the last 20 years. Beleive me we have replaced a buttload of sending units. I have resorted to using the METER MATCH as it is a lot less labor intensive.
I also want to mention Be very careful manipulating the sending unit with the key on and a tank that has had fuel in it. A neighbor had one blow while doing so. Fortunately he got away with some flash burns but it could have been a lot worse, especially if the tank wasn't mounted in the car. it did appear to have gained several gallons of capacity eek
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Fuel Sending Unit - 01/15/22 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by moparx
beer

I have yet to find any that work out of the box in the last 20 years. Beleive me we have replaced a buttload of sending units. I have resorted to using the METER MATCH as it is a lot less labor intensive.
I also want to mention Be very careful manipulating the sending unit with the key on and a tank that has had fuel in it. A neighbor had one blow while doing so. Fortunately he got away with some flash burns but it could have been a lot worse, especially if the tank wasn't mounted in the car. it did appear to have gained several gallons of capacity eek

Damn.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Fuel Sending Unit - 01/15/22 02:10 AM

I bought a sending unit from Kramers Auto about 4 years ago and it still reads accurate. He tests them and recalibrates them before shipping them out.
© 2024 Moparts Forums