Moparts

What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block

Posted By: ragtop

What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block - 01/01/22 04:40 PM

What would you recommend for a spray on rust protector for storing an engine block? Thank you.
Posted By: Neil

Re: What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block - 01/01/22 04:48 PM

Trying to protect the whole block from rusting, or just the machined surfaces? Thick wheel bearing grease on the bores, or paint them with cheap paint and wipe it off later is good for storing core parts. Eastwood Anti-Rust is great too, but $$$ to buy it and ship it. It's like spray on wax coating.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block - 01/01/22 04:59 PM

Just paint it with a cheap spray paint and then in the future have it hot tanked to remove the paint.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block - 01/01/22 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by ragtop
What would you recommend for a spray on rust protector for storing an engine block? Thank you.

Freshly machined or right out of a car? If freshly machined, heavy grease on the machined surfaces, Glyptol on the inner cast surfaces and the paint you intend to use on the exterior.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block - 01/01/22 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Just paint it with a cheap spray paint and then in the future have it hot tanked to remove the paint.

This is what my machine shop says too, and they have tried everything else.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block - 01/01/22 07:54 PM

i have had pretty good luck with spraying parts down with a heavy coat of spray white lithium grease.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block - 01/01/22 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by 4406bbl
Originally Posted by AndyF

This is what my machine shop says too, and they have tried everything else.

Yeah I've tried grease and oil and lube sprays and other protectant sprays. Finally just decided that cheap engine paint is the easiest since the blocks always get hot tanked again before the shop starts the rebuild process. When I buy a block now I take it apart, get it hot tanked and then spray it with cheap paint.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block - 01/01/22 07:59 PM

I use this.....seems to work well

Attached picture blaster.jpg
Posted By: ek3

Re: What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block - 01/01/22 08:00 PM

i have used this .... it is very good. i even put it on the
lug nuts on boat trailers! it does not wash off after many times in and out of the water ! it forms a gel like paste when dry... i love it..it works .it claims 2 years inside but it last longer when a block is in an air tight bag up

Attached picture 894270.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block - 01/01/22 10:24 PM

I've always just used grease on the machined surfaces, primer or paint on the cast.
I also bag them, and put them on a small furniture dolly or dedicated block dolly.
I have a used cast 440 crank in the shop, been there for years, merely greased but not wrapped up, zero corrosion.
Posted By: cl440

Re: What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block - 01/05/22 07:21 PM

This stuff works great Fluid Film
Posted By: MoparMike1974

Re: What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block - 01/09/22 05:28 AM

https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/

Cosmoline. Its worked for over 100 years and still does.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: What is a good rust preventive spray for storing a block - 01/15/22 06:02 AM

Gibbs lubricant works very well, so does motorcycle chain lube spray, spray lithium grease, and smearing grease all over it. What ever you use, it is a good idea to check on it every now and then just to make sure no rust is starting.
© 2024 Moparts Forums