Moparts

Seat conversion

Posted By: mopar muscle7271

Seat conversion - 12/31/21 06:29 AM

Do you know if could convert a 73/74 cuda challenger driver side bucket seat and conver it a passenger side seat instead? Witj lockin on passengers instead of driverside.Did dodge/plymouth make that universal the components and interchangeable to do?Has anyone done a conversion like that before with 70s mopar seats?
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Seat conversion - 12/31/21 08:52 AM

You could simply get a passenger side bucket and fit it over the driver side tracks. Of course you will keep the tracks position adjuster toward to outer side which can't be changed. Tracks are exclusive to the side they are made... aside the lever won't be reacheable if you get console or buddy seat.

Well, if buddy seat, the back release button could be not accesible either!
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Seat conversion - 12/31/21 11:04 AM

The tracks will not interchange for sure. I know a 70-72 will not interchange. The bottoms will but the lower brace is different for the pass vs driver. Now, the 73-74 seat may be different. The latching mechanisms is on the outside. The foam and covers should be the same on 73-74 for both sides.

Re: Seat conversion - 12/31/21 04:28 PM

The latchin mechanism what I'm talkin about.

Re: Seat conversion - 12/31/21 09:46 PM

Someone told all l have to do is the catch over to passenger side of of bucket seat.since the seat is 73 74 non hardback.it just won't be spring loaded apparently.

Re: Seat conversion - 12/31/21 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by fastmark
The tracks will not interchange for sure. I know a 70-72 will not interchange. The bottoms will but the lower brace is different for the pass vs driver. Now, the 73-74 seat may be different. The latching mechanisms is on the outside. The foam and covers should be the same on 73-74 for both sides.

You can fit the full seat on either of the tracks sides. I'm pretty sure because even it was LONG time ago I remember when reassembling my car, installed on wrong side the one of the buckets tracks pair.

You can't fit correctly the full seat and track on the other side of the floor board. Will bolt up but the angle will be wrong.

Originally Posted by mopar muscle7271
The latchin mechanism what I'm talkin about.

Latching mechanism is built into the seats frame with its specific provisions for it. Can't be changed of side on the same seat.

Someone told all l have to do is the catch over to passenger side of of bucket seat.since the seat is 73 74 non hardback.it just won't be spring loaded apparently.

Hardback or not, it is more less the same. Get a passenger side bucket and install on the driver side tracks. You should be done with that. Unless I'm missing something on my mind

Re: Seat conversion - 12/31/21 10:16 PM

seat bottom and back have the same attaching frame work, both sides. The catch is held on with a clip to the seat back. The catch can be switched side to side, but the spring is not the same, there is a left and a right. You can still use the catch, it just won't be spring loaded. What someone else told me.

Re: Seat conversion - 12/31/21 10:26 PM

Sorry, that's not what remember on my buckets ( 74 B body ). I made also the mistake of install the wrong back on the other side bottoms once, and backs angled somehow different.

Re: Seat conversion - 12/31/21 10:33 PM

Aside that, LATCH itself is diff. Just like the doors, you can't switch over the latch because won't catch the striker/catch on bottom. They are designed to work in just one sense.

Catch attached to bottom is also diff shape betwen sides, now dunno if that actually affect the working, aside don't match the seat shape.

Re: Seat conversion - 12/31/21 10:39 PM

There a e-body bucket seat.73 74 were non hard back non push button as well. The lever was on side of seat

Re: Seat conversion - 01/01/22 01:09 AM

OK, had to search.... now I see what you mean

Ebay 73/74 e body buckets

A small lever on back of the hinge. i guess it catches a striker attached on the side of the bottom!

Now I can't talk about that. Just imagining how it works, yes, I guess the lever return spring needing to work attached on diff side it gets its attaching "claws" reversed, just like the passenger side system.

BUT still talking from the B body experience ( and previous E ), the hinges shape/curvature is somehow slightly diff between left and right side of each back. Dunno then if the lever will match the hinge on the other side. Or even if the latch can be attached from the opposite side to the opposite hinge side.

Re: Seat conversion - 01/01/22 03:29 AM

Oh.ok that's the seats l have. Yep the lever that catches the bottom.l see what you mean by lever still may not work.73-76 b body seats were hard back expect plymouth im 73-74 was soft back.

Re: Seat conversion - 01/01/22 09:09 AM

Well, you have both buckets, right? Look closelly at each bucket lever system and compare. I guess is mostly abouth remove the hinge covers to get a clear view of it.

I still think the best option could be get a passenger side bucket and bolt them on the driver side tracks

Re: Seat conversion - 01/01/22 04:10 PM

Only have a driver side seat lookin for a passenger side seat.some one offer me a driver side seat.thinkin of still lookin for a passenger side tho.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Seat conversion - 01/01/22 07:42 PM

Here are some pictures of the latch mechanisms for the 73/74 seat.

They are different than the earlier 70/71/72 E and B body seats.

The 73/74 E-body seats had steel pins sticking out of the sides of the bottom half. When upright the upper seat hing arm rested against the steel pins. The latch was attached to the inside of the hinge arm and hooked the steel pins on the base to latch the seat.

From the pictures I can find it appears that the latch should just swap sides EXCEPT I think there is a motion limiting tab on the latch that would be left/right specific. If it is, then it is an easy fix to bend/modify it.

Unfortunately I do not have my 73 & 74 E Bodies at my house so I can't get up close and personal with them but if you need me to I think I can go over to get some information from them in the next few days.

Since the steel pins and hinges seem to be identical side to side I think you can swap the latch with little to no effort.

Attached picture Rsting Hinge.jpg
Attached picture Latch Pins.jpg
Attached picture Latch Hook.jpg

Re: Seat conversion - 01/02/22 02:39 AM

Oh ok that's what l though about latch that it could be swap over.limting tab might have to be modified.l may need to help if you can get some info that be cool

Re: Seat conversion - 01/02/22 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by IMGTX

Here are some pictures of the latch mechanisms for the 73/74 seat.

They are different than the earlier 70/71/72 E and B body seats.

The 73/74 E-body seats had steel pins sticking out of the sides of the bottom half. When upright the upper seat hing arm rested against the steel pins. The latch was attached to the inside of the hinge arm and hooked the steel pins on the base to latch the seat.

From the pictures I can find it appears that the latch should just swap sides EXCEPT I think there is a motion limiting tab on the latch that would be left/right specific. If it is, then it is an easy fix to bend/modify it.

Unfortunately I do not have my 73 & 74 E Bodies at my house so I can't get up close and personal with them but if you need me to I think I can go over to get some information from them in the next few days.

Since the steel pins and hinges seem to be identical side to side I think you can swap the latch with little to no effort.

punkrocka

Thanks, I made to figure it out once I noticed the seats on ebay! Alghought these detailed pics are great! Nice to learn about this!

It seems you are right about the latch interchange, but I guess latch return spring is not and I'm still wondering about the hinges braces itself. On my 74 Charger I installed wrong side the backs on bottoms ( dunno how I made that mistake ) and the backs angled slighting diff from side to side. That's what I recall unless I'm missing something. That could be a diff bottom frame for this area?

Re: Seat conversion - 01/02/22 10:50 AM

Only have a driver side seat lookin for a passenger side seat.some one offer me a driver side seat.thinkin of still lookin for a passenger side tho.

Dunno why i was thinking you wanted (for any reason) change the latch mechanism to inside but still having both seats in hands. If you are searching for seats including tracks there is another problem: as mentioned on the first reply you got, the tracks won't be side interchange. Floor board is shaped diff and the positioning adjuster lever will meet the transmission tunnel. Seats can be installed on either tracks side ( which is what I meant ), but not on either side of the car with its corresponding tracks

Re: Seat conversion - 01/02/22 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by NachoRT74

I'm still wondering about the hinges braces itself. On my 74 Charger I installed wrong side the backs on bottoms ( dunno how I made that mistake ) and the backs angled slighting diff from side to side. That's what I recall unless I'm missing something. That could be a diff bottom frame for this area?

Good information to know. When I get over to the cars I will do what I can to measure the angles of the hinges just to be sure I cover the bases as best as I can.

Thanks for the info. up

Re: Seat conversion - 01/03/22 03:03 AM

Oh ok cool sounds good

Re: Seat conversion - 01/15/22 05:28 PM

I just wanted to let you know I have not forgotten to get you some pictures and more information. Between catching the cooties & the quarantine, snow, and the start of the semester I have not made it to the farm to get pictures. It is still on the top of my list.

This could also be considered a bump in case someone beats me to it.

Re: Seat conversion - 01/16/22 08:37 PM

Oh ok know what you mean

Re: Seat conversion - 01/21/22 05:40 PM

Ever get to them yet?

Re: Seat conversion - 01/23/22 07:34 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/68-70-Mopa...46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0 these look like same are on the seat?would this kit if needed to get for conversion?

Re: Seat conversion - 01/23/22 05:23 PM

Good Timing.

I got over there yesterday. I got a few pictures but no tools so I didn't take the levers off to compare them. I am hoping to go back today. I was wrong about a locating tab that limits the motion. There wasn't one. After looking at the link you provided I think that those are the same parts. It should swap over.

My set frames are bent, not from the factory they are just bent from heavy use, so I can not definitively tell you that the frames are left right specific or not.

What I forgot to do was to check and see if the inside frame of the seat back has the pivot and mounting holes for the latch and side covers. I am going to try to get over there today and do some more dissection.

So far it looks promising for a swap.

Attached picture Drivers side.jpg
Attached picture Passenger Side.jpg

Re: Seat conversion - 01/23/22 07:56 PM

Oh ok cool lmk thanks for the updated pics of seats for info.it does look promising the swap.

Re: Seat conversion - 01/23/22 10:02 PM

I looked at the seat and took a set of snap ring pliers today to do some swap/caparisons.

It looks like it will swap BUT like somebody said earlier the drivers side and passenger's side springs are different. They curl in opposite directions in relation to the end of the spring that hooks to the latch arm.

I tried to get both sides off but the seat upholstery on them was so tight I couldn't get the latch off the passenger side. I did confirm the inside hinge arms on the seat backs do have the pins and trim mounting holes, so they could be used on passenger or drivers side.

Looks like the swap is a go. If you can modify the spring or get an opposite side latch spring from a car that has the bottom release latches you are set. Some bench and bucket seats have release buttons and their latch are different.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I need to get more pictures or information.

Attached picture Inside Hinge Arm.jpg
Attached picture Drivers Side Parts.jpg

Re: Seat conversion - 01/23/22 11:20 PM

Oh ok thanks gettin the pics and info.though the swap is a go.would that kit work l posted last night?

Re: Seat conversion - 01/24/22 12:29 AM

According to the description that kit works for a lot of cars and it should work for yours. I wouldn't be surprised to see it on later model trucks.

If you already have a latch on the seat you are getting, you would only need the passenger side spring.

Even better I would clamp the drivers side spring in a vice and bent the tip with pliers or a hammer. You just need the tip of the spring to point in the opposite direction and it would work fine. The spring is clamped between the lever and the seat hinge arm so it won't have to be super perfect. It's trapped and can't move out of place.

Most of my cars have either 70/71 B/E body buckets or the bench seats with the buttons mounted up high or I would send one from my spare parts. I only have the one set of 73/74 Buckets.

Re: Seat conversion - 01/24/22 03:39 AM

Oh ok l see thanks for the info on modifying the spring

Re: Seat conversion - 01/24/22 07:41 AM

I could still use passenger side seat tracks for the seat?seat covers are universal?

Re: Seat conversion - 01/28/22 05:50 PM

Seat covers are not side specific as far as I know.

They are different when it comes to 73/74 because they have a vinyl back so it will be different than the 70/71 plastic back seats. You know that though.

It appears the seat tracks are different 70/71 vs 72-74. Also the 70/71 had different inside tracks left and right but in 72-74 the inside track was the same but the outside (with the handle) was different.

That is strictly by part numbers. It could be that they will interchange but something insignificant was changed so they got a new part number. The repops all seem to be say 70 through 74.

Hope it is some help.

Attached picture 70-71 Seat Adjusters.jpg
Attached picture 72 Seat Adjusters.jpg
Attached picture 73 Seat Adjusters.jpg
Attached picture 74 Seat Adjusters.jpg

Re: Seat conversion - 01/29/22 12:26 AM

Oh ok l see thanks for the info.73 74 cuda challenger seats goin in a abody 72 duster.

Re: Seat conversion - 01/29/22 01:08 AM

Okay I thought you were putting 73/74 E body seats in a 73/74 E body that had the wrong year seats.

You are putting E body seats in an A Body. I see the more clearly.

It will be easy to modify the seats to be left or right.

The tracks may be a different story.

I believe the difference in the seat tracks has more to do with mating the floor pan to the seat style.

Do you have A body seat tracks?

I have some Ebody Seat tracks in the basement and I can measure the mounting points tomorrow if that will help.

Re: Seat conversion - 01/29/22 01:28 AM

Yah.lm puttin e-body seat tracks in a abody. Yah l do have seat tracks for abody.one for a driver and one for a passenger side.
70-72 seat tracks are different from 73-76 tracks for a-body

Re: Seat conversion - 01/31/22 04:02 AM

I couldn't measure the 73/74 seats I have because they are in a car in a field and I would have to pull the seats.

I did measure the seat tracks I have in the basement and the bolt holes for the track t the seat are exactly 12".

Hopefully that may be some help.

Re: Seat conversion - 01/31/22 04:57 PM

Oh ok thanks for the info no worries about pulling the seats and all that.

Re: Seat conversion - 02/02/22 01:33 AM

Will this foam work the 73-74 e body seats to or just the b-body as described? https://www.ebay.com/itm/72-74-Mopa...46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Re: Seat conversion - 02/03/22 01:36 AM

I do not believe the foam will work.

72/74 E body seats had built up side bolsters. The center section of the seat was recessed compared to the sides. The B body foam was almost flat across the back and pretty much flat on the bottom.

Attached picture 73-74 ebody seat.jpg
Attached picture 73-74 B body seat.jpg

Re: Seat conversion - 02/03/22 06:03 AM

Oh ok l see thanks for the pic between the two seats

Re: Seat conversion - 02/03/22 03:39 PM

72/74 foams got a recesed areas too in the middle with bulked on sides even once covered with their covers is hard to notice this.

[Linked Image]

Maybe that difference noted previouslly is made on covers, with more foam attached between inner liner and vinyl? dunno.

This is just thinking out loud

E body foams are available new anyway. Maybe better quality than the 72/74 B body ones ( BTDT )

Re: Seat conversion - 02/03/22 05:52 PM

Oh ok l see kinda what l though when foam is covered
© 2024 Moparts Forums