Moparts

Busted crank repair

Posted By: CMcAllister

Busted crank repair - 12/30/21 09:10 PM

So, a buddy of mine broke the crank in his car and doesn't want to junk it since it was a custom stroke and size. Somebody recommended he take it to these guys. Price was right.

Any one else use them? Looks like they're in Florida.

Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/30/21 09:45 PM

No its probably commiefornia, sounds and looks like somewhere in the Valley, you have to of driven across the Valley lately to catch my drift, kinda 3rd world, looks like he's done it a couple times so it should be good to go.
Posted By: Faust

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/30/21 10:07 PM

Judging from the scenery, and the fact they aren't speaking English, I would guess that is one of those YouTube videos showing amazing work done small workshops in India, or some such place. I notice in most of those videos that the tools, surface grinders, mills, etc. are pre-war, or look it.
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/30/21 10:25 PM

Pretty sure that was filmed at the GM engine plant.
Posted By: Faust

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/30/21 10:36 PM

Here's the entire 50-minute video, I found it pretty interesting. My puny little South Bend would never spin that crank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUB7dUjFGIM&t=67s
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/31/21 12:07 AM

I've had many Mopar crankshafts that had cracks in the rod throws and cracks in the main surface ground out, welded and repaired to use with no failures by a good crankshaft shop in SO CA years ago. up They closed up after both owners died and the younger relative that was running it hurt himself and couldn't do that work anymore whiney
Look for a good commercial Deisel engine repair shop and look at their work and go from there twocents
I now use Marine Crankshaft Repairs in Orange County, CA up 714-549-2388, David is the owner and the main repair tech up scope
Posted By: carnut68

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/31/21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
So, a buddy of mine broke the crank in his car and doesn't want to junk it since it was a custom stroke and size. Somebody recommended he take it to these guys. Price was right.

Any one else use them? Looks like they're in Florida.

Me thinks he's being sarcastic. stirthepot
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/31/21 02:45 PM

You mean I could have had this repaired?

Kevin

Attached picture 3505.jpeg
Attached picture 3506.jpeg
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/31/21 03:11 PM

eek
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/31/21 05:55 PM

My question would be, if it broke when it was in one piece would you trust it welded up?
Posted By: Vert

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/31/21 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Twostick
You mean I could have had this repaired?

Kevin

Thats trivial. JBweld and you're good to go!
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/31/21 06:15 PM

it was a custom stroke and size.

This is why you don't use cast cranks! Forged only!
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/31/21 07:02 PM

Damn, my secret is out. He does all my crank work. Shipping to the Middle East and back and getting the cranks through customs is a pain, but he works cheap.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/31/21 07:06 PM

Cool video.
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: Busted crank repair - 12/31/21 10:44 PM

Gotta weld it with the proper flux coated coat hanger for best results. Watched a similar video on a 6 cyl. diesel "rebuild" on cardboard atop a dirt floor. The crankshaft manufacturing video was equally entertaining. The final Q.C./grind guy was the only one in the shop allowed to use the micrometer Kind of makes you rethink offshore parts.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/01/22 12:02 AM

A for effort there.
Posted By: rumblefish72

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/01/22 04:32 AM

That makes our friends at RoadKill look like rocket scientists ... reading this thread made me LOL. Good chuckle to start the new year. I mean, look at that precision crank positioning fixture .... you just need a little pre-heat and the right welding rod wink The guy welding has Crocks on with socks!!
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/01/22 04:56 AM

dang, cool video. pretty impressive.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/01/22 05:17 AM

One hell of a job for a guy in a sheet and sandals. Smoking away, what’s with the guy in the chair? I like his special tools and he kept them clean, I learned a few things watching him, especially centering up the shaft.
Posted By: Gtxxjon

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/01/22 10:27 AM

Now I know its true!

Anything is possible! drinking

I have a 426 hemi 4.250 and 392 hemi 4.000 cranks that need re-welding (or rechroming) on the journals.
Is anyone interested in doing it? shruggy

This guy would 'LAP IT UP' in his lunch break lol... ozbbq

HNY to all in Moparland Santa5 from Dynosnore John UK
Posted By: 360view

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/01/22 12:26 PM

On a serious note,
instead of trying to repair a broken crankshaft by welding at the spot where it cracked,
wouldn’t it be better to select two spots on either side of the crack
and precisely cut out the bad section,
and use a jig to hold in a replacement section during welding, tempering, and stress relief?

The two spots where welds should be selected to minimize “stress concentration geometry” like corners, notches, etc.

I once ordered machinists to try to hand polish the journal of a 60 year old Alco Locomotive Diesel crankshaft.
The crankshaft was not broken or cracked, just needed to be reduced so an undersixed bearing could be used.
It took several days of hand work, but in the end everything mic’ed OK.
The engine then ran smoothly, without any odd vibration or noise.

But... within a year the crankshaft suddenly broke at that journal without giving any sign of trouble.

frown

I will not say that amazingly precise work cannot be done with primitive tools in poor foreign countries.
If you have never seen what comes out of the workshops of Darra Adam Khel it is amazing.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darra_Adam_Khel
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/01/22 01:05 PM

Was that an early engine? Did it get the firing order update? Can't remember off hand if it was the 244 or 251 series that got that change.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/01/22 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by 360view
On a serious note,
instead of trying to repair a broken crankshaft by welding at the spot where it cracked,
wouldn’t it be better to select two spots on either side of the crack
and precisely cut out the bad section,
and use a jig to hold in a replacement section during welding, tempering, and stress relief?

The two spots where welds should be selected to minimize “stress concentration geometry” like corners, notches, etc.

I once ordered machinists to try to hand polish the journal of a 60 year old Alco Locomotive Diesel crankshaft.
The crankshaft was not broken or cracked, just needed to be reduced so an undersixed bearing could be used.
It took several days of hand work, but in the end everything mic’ed OK.
The engine then ran smoothly, without any odd vibration or noise.

But... within a year the crankshaft suddenly broke at that journal without giving any sign of trouble.

frown

I will not say that amazingly precise work cannot be done with primitive tools in poor foreign countries.
If you have never seen what comes out of the workshops of Darra Adam Khel it is amazing.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darra_Adam_Khel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvYk0Ib0QdI
This is how they do it in Mother Russia! Fast forward to the 4 minute mark.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/01/22 03:22 PM

It’s amazing what determined people can do with so little. Not racecar stuff but obviously this isn’t the first one he has done. I wish I was this smart.
Doug
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/01/22 03:44 PM

Somebody way back when made the first lathe, we’ve always been smart just didn’t have the education. A lot of geniuses from way back for thousands of years. We need to not pat ourselves on the back to much. This fellow USED that machine and did not push a button and stand back.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/01/22 05:40 PM

my old man useta' say : "pat self on back, break arm !" biggrin
i have never seen the roadkill guys weld wearing sheets and crocs............
i guess it's the end results that count ! up
beer
Posted By: TJP

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/02/22 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Somebody way back when made the first lathe, we’ve always been smart just didn’t have the education. A lot of geniuses from way back for thousands of years. We need to not pat ourselves on the back to much. This fellow USED that machine and did not push a button and stand back.

iagree
And will add that we could likely learn a lot from them if we weren't so proud of ourselves. twocents
Posted By: moparx

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/03/22 05:24 PM

it's always fun when someone pushes a button, stands back, and then hears that "expensive sound", followed by silence. biggrin
beer
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/03/22 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
it's always fun when someone pushes a button, stands back, and then hears that "expensive sound", followed by silence. biggrin
beer

Too true. We get that a lot here. A lot of CNC operators like to call themselves machinists these days. Put them in front of a Bridgeport or a La Blond/Turn Pro and they're useless.

The guy in this video has honed his craft.
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/03/22 08:14 PM

Anyone need a Hemi or Numbers Matching Block repaired?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_NSFq0r8I

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/04/22 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cuda340
Anyone need a Hemi or Numbers Matching Block repaired?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_NSFq0r8I

That video makes me wonder what their labor rate is per hour versus buying another good use block work
Maybe we, our country, are living to high on the world's "hog" work

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/04/22 11:26 AM

Suggest how a repaired crankshaft could be tested,
without putting it in a running engine?

Suggest how a repaired block could be tested
without assembling an engine around it.

Seems a shame to put good parts at risk to test a welded up part.

For the crankshaft it would seem you could make a custom jig from a scrap block to apply a measured force at each throw.

Test a repaired block with high pressure water? (definitely not high pressure air - that is a bomb)

Nerve gas destruction plants have to have each weld x-rayed.
Constructors of the Bluegrass Ordnance Nerve Gas Chemical Neutralization plant - cheated on the weld x-rays.
The cost over-runs on that government project boogle the mind.
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/04/22 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by 360view

For the crankshaft it would seem you could make a custom jig from a scrap block to apply a measured force at each throw.

did you see the jig in the video when he was straightening the crankshaft?
that seemed like plenty of force to test the welded journal.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/04/22 05:45 PM

Keep in mind these engine parts are likely going back into a flat bed produce truck, and not a pro-mod engine, so the repairs are likely worth the effort, or he would not be wasting his time. Same for the effort of the people bringing him the broken parts too.

That guy has 10x the work ethic of the people at some of the machine shops around here. Smoke break every 5 minutes, constant cell phone distractions with the ball and chain, ect. Lucky to get your crank or block back in less than a month.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/04/22 06:08 PM

Back when you could smoke at work all I ever needed for a break was time enough to get fresh coffee for my cup and the chance to offload the coffee I already drank. If you'll note in the video,he can still smoke at work, lol.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/05/22 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Neil
Keep in mind these engine parts are likely going back into a flat bed produce truck, and not a pro-mod engine, so the repairs are likely worth the effort, or he would not be wasting his time. Same for the effort of the people bringing him the broken parts too.

That guy has 10x the work ethic of the people at some of the machine shops around here. Smoke break every 5 minutes, constant cell phone distractions with the ball and chain, ect. Lucky to get your crank or block back in less than a month.

You forgot to also mention- intentionally working slow to spill into some overtime. (That's how my co workers do it.)
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/05/22 05:14 PM

That's not the first one he's fixed.
That guy's got some mad skills.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/11/22 11:26 PM

That guy has almost unbelievable skills and patience. I’m betting those machines are spotless when he quits for the day.

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/12/22 01:46 PM

Jay Leno should do a show with a title like:

“ You will not believe this successful repair”
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/12/22 07:26 PM

Really enjoyed this video.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/12/22 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
Really enjoyed this video.

I did too. My buddy told me about it or I would have missed it.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Busted crank repair - 01/13/22 12:11 AM

This is why they can never be beaten.

We could bomb them back to the stone age and they could just keep going. They're almost there now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums