Moparts

Best shocks

Posted By: 70VERT

Best shocks - 12/25/21 10:31 PM

My ride is a 70 Challenger 440RT convertible. It has weld-in frame stiffeners and both front and rear anti-sway bars. It's time for me to change out my shocks What are your opinions on the best product and place to get 'em. Thanks and Merry Christmas
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Best shocks - 12/26/21 12:02 AM

Shocks need to match the springs

Stock springs, stock shocks basically.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Best shocks - 12/26/21 12:21 AM

Everyone seems to love Bilsteins but they are super pricey and don't know if they are available for your application.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Best shocks - 12/26/21 01:04 AM

the better grade of Gabriel. I have had better luck with Gabriel over the years vs KYB, Monroe, anyone else.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Best shocks - 12/26/21 03:26 AM

KYB's here, lots of them on customers cars. Only one wanted a softer ride so we put on a cheap set o f Monroes wink
Posted By: 70VERT

Re: Best shocks - 12/26/21 04:02 AM

Beyond just manufacturer, anything new or standing out, like gas vs hydraulic, racing, whatever. I'll mainly be doing aggressive type recreational driving from here on out, but I thought I would dig a little deeper for probably the last set I'll buy for the old girl. So i'd be interested in thoughts from guys on the forum
Posted By: A12

Re: Best shocks - 12/26/21 07:10 AM

This Koni non-gas shock has been around for decades and in my opinion for everyday sport, performance, muscle car and adjustable ride is the best. I've had and still have KYB, Bilstein, Monroe, and Gabrial (yeah Hi-Jackers) on several cars and was looking at Bilstein's for the '69 GTX but going to go back to Koni's. I had Koni's on my '69 Road Runner back in the day (early '70's) and on two vans I used for dirt bike hauling to races and I remember the ride was on par with any late spec gas (Dr. De Carbon) or gas emulsion shock. They're on sale so I'm going to order a set quick. They are adjustable (removed to do so) but that feature was supposed to be for wear compensation but everyone I know used it to adjust the ride feel.

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/North...&q=1970&m=258&mk=13&mt=1

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Technology/Adjustment-Guides/comp/

Paint them black and no one will know they aren't original (type/look) shock absorbers wink

Mike

Attached picture 80-1538.jpg
Attached picture 82-1255.jpg
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Best shocks - 12/26/21 04:57 PM

The best set it and forget it shock will be Bilsteins or Koni. If you want to dabble in adjustments, then Fox, QA1, or Viking make a good selection of single and double adjustable models, If you want to get into racing styles, then there is almost no ceiling to finding what you may be able to spend and achieve.

The more you have increased your spring rates, the more important it will be for you get a quality shock to control the motion. For stock springs, you can step up to higher quality shocks that can change the performance of the lighter rates quite significantly, but they will not stop overall body roll and lean in corners.

It used to be a simple nitrogen charge of a decent hydraulic shock was a big improvement. Over the last 30 yeas, shock technology has improved like everything else and you can now get dyno tuned shocks that can perform to a very high level without getting into exotic materials, remote reservoirs, or other add ons.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Best shocks - 12/26/21 04:58 PM

Koni shocks are the best if you can afford them. Super tough to install in front (you have to press the top bushing in with a long bolt) and the rears don't fit unless you make some mods, but once you get them on you'll love them. I use them on all of my cars.

Attached picture DSC_4144 (Large).JPG
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Best shocks - 12/26/21 05:02 PM

Geez speaking of tough to install up front had a heck of a time with a set of KYB's gas adjust in my Police Diplomat years ago! Took two of us and still was NOT easy. I didn't mind the KYB's but probably won't go back to them ever. Forgot about Koni and the great things I've read about them too.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Best shocks - 12/27/21 01:45 AM

I’d love to find an NOS set of edelbrocks. Those were hands down best shock I’ve had on anything. Had them in three trucks and a couple old mopars. Never did find anybody that was knocking off the tech, at least not that I know of. Had some valve that made a variation on the fly based on how hard you were driving at the time.

Re: Best shocks - 12/27/21 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
I’d love to find an NOS set of edelbrocks. Those were hands down best shock I’ve had on anything. Had them in three trucks and a couple old mopars. Never did find anybody that was knocking off the tech, at least not that I know of. Had some valve that made a variation on the fly based on how hard you were driving at the time.

They are an update of the Chrysler Oriflow shocks, first debuted in 1951.

https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/mtsc/039.pdf
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Best shocks - 12/27/21 05:25 PM

I have the RCD Bilstein shocks on my '69 Coronet Convertible. They provide a nice ride, not as harsh as KYB gas-a-just shocks, but they were pretty expensive.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Best shocks - 12/27/21 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by A12

Paint them black and no one will know they aren't original (type/look) shock absorbers wink

Mike

We bought some Viking Crusaders for a drag race application. We race some period correct nostalgia events (you have to send photos to be accepted to race) so I came up with covering the shocks in black shrink sleeve. Other than the knobs, the billet body of the shock is hidden nicely!
Posted By: CSK

Re: Best shocks - 12/28/21 01:26 AM

KYB's are the worst shock EVER
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...uch-hatred-for-the-kybs.html#Post1152002
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Best shocks - 12/28/21 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper

That’s interesting. Any idea on ones like that available today?

Re: Best shocks - 12/28/21 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper

That’s interesting. Any idea on ones like that available today?

Just NOS stuff, which isn't cheap nor likely to fit, I went with gas charged performance shocks when I replaced the ones on my 51.
© 2024 Moparts Forums