Moparts

Replacement 18 spline input shafts

Posted By: BLACKHEMIRR

Replacement 18 spline input shafts - 12/19/21 04:43 PM

Has anyone had any experience with any of the new 18 spline 4-speed input shafts? I know Passon and Brewer’s list them, I’m not sure if any other companies are making them. I’m probably going to have to buy one. I thought I could use one of the larger roller pilot bearings to resolve my input shaft being shortened at some point, but it isn’t tight enough in my crankshaft torque converter fit. My crankshaft must have been machined a couple thousandths too big. Looking for any good or bad from anyone who has bought one of the new shafts. I assume that they will wear-in to a used cluster gear without issues. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Replacement 18 spline input shafts - 12/19/21 07:41 PM

I have used the 18 spline shaft Jamie has and it is a very nice part with tapered clutching teeth to last longer. I have used other 23 spline shafts from Brewers and other vendors and I haven't heard any complaints on them yet. The Passon shaft is made in USA if that matters to you.

Gus beer
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Replacement 18 spline input shafts - 12/19/21 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKHEMIRR
My crankshaft must have been machined a couple thousandths too big.

Two ways to go here, either have the OD of the roller bushing knurled to increase its diameter or use a gap-filling retaining compound like Loctite 660.

" LOCTITE 660 is a high strength retaining compound with good gap filling properties, ideal for repairing worn-out seats, keys, splines, bearings or tapers without remachining.
LOCTITE® 660 is designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts, particularly where bond gaps occurs without the need for remachining. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close-fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage due to shock and vibration. LOCTITE 660 exhibits excellent gap cure characteristics."
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Replacement 18 spline input shafts - 12/19/21 10:47 PM

I just bought one from Brewers. They are standup guys. I won’t discuss the other vendor just yet. I may here shortly.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Replacement 18 spline input shafts - 12/20/21 02:19 AM

Brewer's here, Outstanding business and individual up twocents
© 2024 Moparts Forums