Moparts

Engine Break In Question

Posted By: B5TA

Engine Break In Question - 12/18/21 05:25 PM

I hope to have my 340 6Pak ready to run in early April. Planning on building a Test/Run stand to make things a little easier. My question for you guys is would it be smarter and easier to use a stock 2 or 4 barrel intake manifold for break- in. I think I know the answer but would like you guys thoughts. Thanks, Kevin
Posted By: topside

Re: Engine Break In Question - 12/18/21 06:17 PM

My philosophy is to eliminate or minimize variables, so the engine starts right away and the fuel & ignition are within acceptable parameters.
Known-good carbs are a good idea.
For break-in, the size/CFM isn't going to matter (within reason) under 3000 RPM, though the jetting & condition will.
If someone like Scott Smith has gone through the carbs (and tested them), I'd bolt that setup on.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Engine Break In Question - 12/18/21 06:28 PM

I would run it as a six pack. You are only gonna be on center carb anyway. One tip….run rubber fuel line segments to all the carbs till you get them set (all jetting/metering). That saves the wear and tear on hard lines taking them on and off. Once your set, put on the pretty hard lines.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Engine Break In Question - 12/18/21 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
I would run it as a six pack.

Agreed...I've always broken in engines running the intended induction system, be it single, dual, triple carbs, or supercharged....
© 2024 Moparts Forums