Moparts

Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline

Posted By: floyd

Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/12/21 03:02 PM

Any recommendations for a high quality throw-out/clutch release bearing for a 23-spline? Looking for one made in USA/Canada.

Thanks
Posted By: therocks

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/12/21 03:22 PM

When I put in my Center Force like 20 years ago the bearing that came with it went bad quick.Got lucky and my buddy at AZ had an old Timken that had sat for years.Been in since like 03 and no problems.IIRC Summit still carrys some decent ones Rocky
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/12/21 03:40 PM

I've had bad luck with the TO bearings in the last few years. All made in China, which can be generally hit and miss, but they all use the cheapest grease known to man in them, which I think is the problem with the ones I had trouble with. Several lasted only a few thousand miles, and were verifiabilly, fully retracted when not being used. Try Brewer's.

I ended up going with a hydraulic unit from American Powertrain, which is amazing.

If you are able to swap out the old bearing with one from National or King Bearing, you would be money ahead.

Attached picture Stroker.jpg
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/12/21 03:53 PM

I can't find a listing for King throwout bearings. Is it listed as something else?
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/12/21 03:54 PM

Can't help you on manufacture but in case you didn't know, the bearing assembly needs to jive with your pressure plate choice. Diaphragm, Borg and Beck[ what our cars came with] and Long[ what Ford used] all take different overall length units. The Long style does not work with stock flywheels so most likely you don't have that but some aftermarket wheels can come drilled for it. The other two have the same bolt pattern. Whose cloth unit are you using? Maybe source from them?

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/12/21 05:41 PM

Thanks - I actually hadn’t thought about the need to match clutch and pressure plate styles Thanks for preventing me from making a bone-head purchase. I bought a RAM-92766 (Borg and Beck) 23-spline and am using a stock flywheel. I’ll check with RAM. I also see a US-made option on Brewer’s website.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/12/21 09:21 PM

I would give Passon or Brewers a call because they use what they sell and and they wouldn't install junk on customer cars.
twocents
Gus beer
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/12/21 09:29 PM

Press the old one off and call a bearing supplier with your old number to a US made bearing. twocents

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/12/21 11:30 PM

Yep, will probably just call Brewers. Original set up is long gone so nothing to go on there. Thanks
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/13/21 07:16 AM

After installed with the clutch engaged and pedal up, make sure the bearing is NOT riding on the pp fingers. There must be clearance with a B&B/Long style.
Posted By: Dan Brewer

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/13/21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by floyd
Any recommendations for a high quality throw-out/clutch release bearing for a 23-spline? Looking for one made in USA/Canada.

Thanks
We stock this one made in the USA

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.php?prod=CB1463

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/13/21 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Brewer

Just ordered - Thanks
Posted By: Dan Brewer

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/13/21 02:42 PM

up

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/13/21 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
I can't find a listing for King throwout bearings. Is it listed as something else?

https://www.kingbearings.com/
Posted By: moparx

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/13/21 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by jbc426

maybe called a release bearing ? shruggy
beer
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/13/21 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by moparx

beer

maybe because they sell engine bearings, not throwout bearings?

Re: Throw-out Bearing Recommendation - 23-Spline - 12/17/21 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by moparx

beer

maybe because they sell engine bearings, not throwout bearings?

My bad. They don't carry roller bearings at all.

SKS and other roller bearing manufacturers carriy the replacement double sealed replacement bearing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums