Moparts

IFender Bolts..... Painted or not

Posted By: 70VERT

IFender Bolts..... Painted or not - 10/20/21 01:21 PM

I just finished a plum crazy repaint on my 70 Challenger. I painted doors, trunk lid and hood separately. Now is time to put back together. What would be best.....to paint the fender bolts et al or put new shiny ones in??? I can't make up my mind
Posted By: burdar

Re: IFender Bolts..... Painted or not - 10/20/21 01:36 PM

From the factory they were painted. It looks goofy IMO to have them a different color.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: IFender Bolts..... Painted or not - 10/20/21 02:40 PM

I agree, can’t understand why guys paint stuff off the car when factory painted it all together then painted the inside of doors the interior color
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: IFender Bolts..... Painted or not - 10/21/21 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by 70VERT
I just finished a plum crazy repaint on my 70 Challenger. I painted doors, trunk lid and hood separately. Now is time to put back together. What would be best.....to paint the fender bolts et al or put Not new shiny ones in??? I can't make up my mind

Not sure why you would even want to put "new shinny" ones in. Not only were the original bolts black phosphate but were installed on the car before paint. There was also some seam sealer between the fenders and the inner fenders. Since it is too late to put the seam sealer in at least paint the bolts body color.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: IFender Bolts..... Painted or not - 10/21/21 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by 70VERT
I just finished a plum crazy repaint on my 70 Challenger. I painted doors, trunk lid and hood separately. Now is time to put back together. What would be best.....to paint the fender bolts et al or put new shiny ones in??? I can't make up my mind

Depends what kind of look you are going for. If it is a resto then do it the factory way. If it is custom then do it how you want. For a pro street or race car I might use ARP 12 point stainless for the fender bolts to provide a nice contrast with the paint. I wouldn't do that for a resto type build.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: IFender Bolts..... Painted or not - 10/21/21 06:04 AM

No sense in painting those bolts you'll hardly see afterwards.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: IFender Bolts..... Painted or not - 10/21/21 06:57 AM

Body sheetmetal was assembled and aligned before the paint, so everything will get painted after that. That's of course factory look.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: IFender Bolts..... Painted or not - 10/21/21 09:44 AM

I judge a special class for the Dallas Mopar at their annual Labor Day show. It’s for the six or so cars that have previously won their individual class at some point. These are cars that the owners try for a higher level of correctness. One guy comes occasionally with two very nice six pack cars. He insists on having yellow zinc plated bolts to hold all the fenders and doors on. It sticks out like sore thumb. It’s really bad. I take off points every time. He does not care. It looks really stupid to me. His car, though.
Posted By: dvw

Re: IFender Bolts..... Painted or not - 10/21/21 11:58 AM

What look's good and doesn't is a mater of preference. We paint the bolts separate then install them. I also don't own any dead stock style cars. My Volare has stainless bolts. None of my cars have the core support blacked out. I like the body color look of the core support. In the words of a friend. "I don't build by committee." Here's some of my stuff
Doug

Attached picture Debbys Engine.jpg
Attached picture engine 001.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1957.jpg
Posted By: 70VERT

Re: IFender Bolts..... Painted or not - 10/21/21 01:03 PM

Thanx fellas, opinions and pix we're helpful
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: IFender Bolts..... Painted or not - 10/21/21 04:47 PM

Mine are usually always painted body color. I choose to leave them as plated on my Challenger for a little extra detail since almost nothing is stock anymore.

Attached picture IMG_8666.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums