Moparts

Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors

Posted By: patosmith

Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/01/21 12:32 PM

So, I bought a set of paintable bullet door mirrors for my 72 Challenger.
I want to disassemble them so I can get them painted.
Does anyone know how to get the mirror out of the housing so the inside can get painted?
I can get to the 2 screws that hold the base to the housing but I don't know how to remove the mirror itself.
If I turn the mirror, I can see screws in the housing but there is no way to get a screwdriver on them.
Does the mirror just pop out or am I missing something?

Attached picture 20210918_154147.jpg
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/01/21 04:09 PM

A recent issue of Mopar Action covered this; IIRC the glass had to be broken out to access the interior.
Posted By: U code RR

Re: Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/01/21 04:29 PM

Don't break your mirror glass. Bend a slim phillips head screw driver just enough to clear the mirror to access the screws that hold the adjusting mechanism to the outer housing. I've removed several mirror plates this way for painting. You may have to spray some penetrating oil and let it sit before attempting this. These are after all 50 years old in most cases! You DO NOT want to strip the head of the screw! Take your time and use steady pressure. Good luck.
Posted By: randavis

Re: Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/01/21 06:01 PM

I've read somewhere that you can immerse them in acetone and it will dissolve the adhesive on the mirror.

I have not tried it, but it sounds reasonable to me.
Posted By: patosmith

Re: Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/01/21 06:09 PM

Thanks to everyone for the info.
I will do the screw driver trick to take them apart. This is a new repop set and I hoped there would be an easier way to take them apart.
Thanks again.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/01/21 08:31 PM

Can't you get away with taping the mirror and painting?

Re: Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/01/21 10:45 PM

If the re-pops are like the OEM mirrors, you are going to have tape the mirror and cable after you pull it through far enough to get paint inside the housing if it is a driver side adjustable mirror. You can't get the adjuster mechanism through the mirror housing. The individual adjuster cables are swedged on after the cable is inserted through the mirror housing. Good Luck, just take your time, you'll be fine.

Re: Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/01/21 11:10 PM

I found my screw driver that I modified. Here are some pics. Hope this helps.

Attached picture IMG_0088 (2).JPG
Attached picture IMG_0092 (2).JPG
Attached picture IMG_0089 (2).JPG
Posted By: TJP

Re: Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/02/21 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by U code RR
I found my screw driver that I modified. Here are some pics. Hope this helps.

up beer
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/04/21 05:28 PM

Stumpy's idea is good so you don't ding the fresh paint trying to put it back together.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/04/21 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
A recent issue of Mopar Action covered this; IIRC the glass had to be broken out to access the interior.

yes the mirror baseplate get the holes for those screws BUT IF the screws are not stuck buy dust/rust, it could be done like shown with a modified screwdriver or:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MoparMike1974

Re: Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/05/21 12:30 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Samfox-Offset-Screwdriver-Set-Phillips/dp/B07TC43XCF

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Offset-Screwdriver-2-Pack-H2PCOSSDS/302346928
Posted By: TJP

Re: Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/05/21 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by NachoRT74
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel

yes the mirror baseplate get the holes for those screws BUT IF the screws are not stuck buy dust/rust, it could be done like shown with a modified screwdriver or:

[Linked Image]

I'd go with U code RR's approach if trying to take them apart as his tool would likely give much better leverage and control. When reassembling tape the areas off with 2 0r 3 layers of painters tape to prevent damage.

or as Stumpy suggested, tape off the mirror

I have also had luck with the acetone, Shallow pan with enough Acetone to submerge the mirror +1/2" or so. best if you can somehow cover it to contain the fumes and prevent the evaporation. Tin foil would work well.

last, call the supplier/ manufacturer. let us know what works for you beer
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: Disassembling Paintable Door Mirrors - 10/05/21 02:02 AM

I've used a heat gun and dental floss to remove exterior nameplates. You heat the nameplate and then 'saw' through the adhesive with the floss. It might be possible to do the same thing with the mirror glass.
© 2024 Moparts Forums