Moparts

Exhaust gasket for stealth heads with manifolds

Posted By: pettyblue440

Exhaust gasket for stealth heads with manifolds - 09/22/21 09:58 AM

Can someone recommend a gasket to use on a 383 with stealth heads and hp manifolds? Thanks jon
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Exhaust gasket for stealth heads with manifolds - 09/22/21 12:50 PM

Manifolds generally require no gasket, I usually install manifolds on a freshly WET painted engine, or for clean dry heads, put a coat of hi temp paint on the exhaust mating flanges install/torque let dry.... the paint acts as a gasket....
Posted By: therocks

Re: Exhaust gasket for stealth heads with manifolds - 09/22/21 02:08 PM

MR Gasket ultras Mine have been in like 15 years with headers Used them on the kids 413 same thing.Cheap and work.Rocky
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Exhaust gasket for stealth heads with manifolds - 09/22/21 02:23 PM

A trip through the milling machine with the manifolds should guarantee no gaskets required.

Kevin
Posted By: EWJ

Re: Exhaust gasket for stealth heads with manifolds - 09/22/21 02:29 PM

Fel Pro MS90029. Cut the gasket down, to make individual gaskets for the manifold ports. Torque to factory spec, run for a couple hundred miles and then recheck. Then good to go.

I've never had luck with using header gaskets with manifolds: the port opening in the gasket is too large, thereby minimizing the amount of actual gasket sealing the manifold surface.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Exhaust gasket for stealth heads with manifolds - 09/22/21 02:59 PM

Fel-Pro 1414 work good for manifolds
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: Exhaust gasket for stealth heads with manifolds - 09/22/21 11:10 PM

Check the manifolds for flatness with a straight edge. If warped, have them milled. Use a very thin layer if high temp (red) rtv. No gasket. Wipe off excess before it cures. Do not get rtv on skin.
Posted By: R/T1968R/T

Re: Exhaust gasket for stealth heads with manifolds - 09/22/21 11:44 PM

High temp is fine for cast iron on cast iron. That's what I have on my 68 with no problems. With dissimilar metals the expansion rate is different and you should use a gasket.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Exhaust gasket for stealth heads with manifolds - 09/23/21 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by EWJ
Fel Pro MS90029.

This. You can get them for like $10.
Remflex if you think you have more than normal sealing challenges.
© 2024 Moparts Forums