Moparts

AlphaOBD

Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

AlphaOBD - 09/12/21 05:15 PM

Anyone use it, thoughts, opinions???

Thanks.

For ones not knowing....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AlfaOBD.AlfaOBD&hl=en_US&gl=US
Posted By: GTSDart340

Re: AlphaOBD - 09/12/21 10:45 PM

https://www.lxforums.com/board/general-lx-discussion-3rd-gen-2015-/412142-alfaobd-master-thread.html

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

There's a couple resources for the app. I have used it a little, really only to add a couple features to my Magnum. It's also the only way I can read the codes on my Durango. I haven't even scratched the surface of it yet.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: AlphaOBD - 09/13/21 04:26 AM

What do you want it for? It's great for the newer Mopars to get a list of options or or to enable factory options like fog lights or backup camera without having to go to the dealer. If you're only driving your car and not doing anything to it it's not worth getting.
Posted By: 360view

Re: AlphaOBD - 09/13/21 11:19 AM

Can it read the OBD-II on Chryslers as early as 2005 ?
1996 ?

Does it require a Bluetooth module,
WiFI module,
or possibly use a USB to OBD-II plug direct cable?
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: AlphaOBD - 09/14/21 12:44 PM

I've wanted to get this for my 2018 Ram. It's just a software I believe and you still need a bluetooth OBDII "dongle". Concern I have is making an adjustment and then taking it to the dealer for a service and they wipe it out as it updates from the dealer cloud. Just seems like a hassle. I want to install the factory trailer brake module as well as upgrade to Keyless Entry.
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: AlphaOBD - 09/14/21 10:23 PM

Funny I thought this was going to be about an Out Board Drive unit.

Re: AlphaOBD - 09/16/21 03:21 AM

I think it does 2005 very limitedly. I think it's whenever the body styles changed after that that it's usefullness really kicks in. Like 2009+ trucks and 2011+300 and Charger etc.

You do need an OBD2 bluetooth adapter to make it work and the forums say the android version gets updated more then the computer version.

I think it's been said that the dealer only reflashes the computer if there are updates or a reason to and yeah you'd loose the changes you make but it's easy enough to go back and re-enable what you want. I've only used it once but it's pretty interesting what information it can grab from your car.
Posted By: Red383

Re: AlphaOBD - 09/16/21 12:00 PM

I used it on my 2014 Ram to adjust the Tire Pressure monitor system to PSI levels that would not set off an alarm every time the weather changed. That alone was worth it to me!
Posted By: GTSDart340

Re: AlphaOBD - 09/16/21 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
I think it does 2005 very limitedly. I think it's whenever the body styles changed after that that it's usefullness really kicks in. Like 2009+ trucks and 2011+300 and Charger etc.

You do need an OBD2 bluetooth adapter to make it work and the forums say the android version gets updated more then the computer version.

I think it's been said that the dealer only reflashes the computer if there are updates or a reason to and yeah you'd loose the changes you make but it's easy enough to go back and re-enable what you want. I've only used it once but it's pretty interesting what information it can grab from your car.

I found that it doesn't support most 05 models, but starting in 06 there's lots of support. I've used it on my 06 Magnum, but my brother's 05 truck it wouldn't work. There are more things you can do on the newer stuff for sure, but it does work on 06+.
Posted By: 360view

Re: AlphaOBD - 09/19/21 06:41 PM

For $8 bought a still shrink wrapped Konnwei KW681 at a Goodwill Store.
I had very low expectations it would even turn on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3635030711...msclkid=006e32f356b81496a04f53b4d5ef5e4e

Tried KW681 this morning.
It worked, at least on a 2005 T&C van.

Has a built in battery tester too, which also seems to work and can do multiple types of load tests, SAE, DIN, Japanese JIS, etc.
Calculates CCA and internal battery impedance.
Graphs charging “AC ripple” above alternator DC voltage.

OBD-II read codes,
including mode $07 “impending error codes” where not enough faults have yet occurred to turn on the check engine light.

Not bad for $8

Re: AlphaOBD - 09/22/21 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by GTSDart340
Originally Posted by 5thAve

I found that it doesn't support most 05 models, but starting in 06 there's lots of support. I've used it on my 06 Magnum, but my brother's 05 truck it wouldn't work. There are more things you can do on the newer stuff for sure, but it does work on 06+.

There's also a free trial you can use before you buy it. It only works for 15 or 30 minutes or something and I don't think it lets you change stuff but you can at least try it to see how much it can or can't do with your car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums