Moparts

Air shocks\wide tires

Posted By: exile5700

Air shocks\wide tires - 09/02/21 08:31 PM

I know i will hear all about how this is a bad idea, but, in the 70s i had a 70 SE Challenger with air shocks 60s on the back and i drove the hell out of it with no issues.....so. my question is. With air shocks can i fit 50s on 10 inch wheels on the 73 Challenger i am building. I am old school and going for an old school look.. Please i am not interested in the stock look, or 17 s, I had 14 inch on the front with 70s and 15 inch l 60s on the back. I would love to hear from others who are into the old look and what you find that works. pictures would be awesome. Thank you . And to the purists , your cars are beautiful !
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/02/21 08:38 PM

Other than being hard on the shock mounts. Do what you like, it's your car.

No reason it won't work if the tires aren't hitting the wells/lips.

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/02/21 08:41 PM

Drove it for 4 years with out any issue, i do not plan on having anyone in the back or anything in the trunk. i know it will ride like crap and handle like crap as well, but i am going cruising in it and at 64 my days of racing it are far gone lol thank you for your reply
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/02/21 10:41 PM

Hey, it is your car. If the old school, nostalgic thing pleases you, go for it. A cheap and easy way to put wider rear tires on your ride. Many of us did it back in the day, including me.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/02/21 11:03 PM

A lot of us did that back when we were young, stupid, and didn't now any better.

If you do go ahead and do it, don't post any pics unless you have thick skin.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/03/21 12:27 AM

The issue is, the shock mounts (especially the uppers) are not designed to support the weight of the car only actuate an oil filled shock.
I have repaired many upper shock mounts in the last 20 years due to wat you wish to do. but hey it's your car twocents beer
Posted By: kermit1

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/03/21 12:48 AM

In high school i had a 70 challenger R\T with a set of n50 fifteens on ten inch rims and it worked fine till the air shock hose melted on the tail pipe then i went to coil over shocks with shock extenders. im sure this is bad advice but i love the look of 50's on the back of a challenger,also fyi there is no way 10 inch rims arent going to stick out passed the quarter a little
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/03/21 12:51 AM

I believe I would also add the longer rear spring shackles, it will help take the load off of the upper shock mounts. Makes the car a bit more stable too.

I say this because I too have repaired a lot of upper shock mount crossmembers. The ends are about the only thing that keeps them in place, once the side to side shifting breaks the side brackets, it isn't long before the shock mount is no longer attached to the car, and you get to hear it bang side to side every time to go around a corner.

I know I'm going to sound like I disapprove (not true), when you choose your wheels, keep the back spacing to the point the tire is within an inch of the leaf spring. Deep reversed wheels (sticking way out wide) cause issues with the upper shock mount to occur faster. If you do this, make the minor changes to make it last as long as possible, for longer enjoyment of your car. Gene
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/03/21 04:44 AM

I have used air shocks too.

I like to run separate air lines to each shock so that the air won't shift from shock to shock.

Seems to help with stability.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/03/21 05:11 AM

These cars were daily drivers back in the day and I think the shock mount damage reflects that. For a fun weekend cruiser I think you could go a long time without a problem twocents

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/03/21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by bobby66
These cars were daily drivers back in the day and I think the shock mount damage reflects that. For a fun weekend cruiser I think you could go a long time without a problem twocents

Mine were daily drivers and some I put over 2000K on air shocks but I didn't crank them up so much that it was jacked way up in the air. I load leveled when towing and picked up an inch or two on the average day.

I think if you pump them up too much, the suspension gets too stiff and the shock mounts suffer faster, but like you said, weekend cruisers probably won't succumb to damage.

Someone mentioned longer rear hangers which would help reduce the need for high shock pressures but if I remember correctly they won't work on an e-body because of the hangers hitting the rear valence.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/03/21 02:13 PM

For sometime I had a dark red candy with candy flames on my H Code Challenger. 50s on 5 spoke chrome wheels High Jackers and shock extensions.
And a mullet, owner installed bag of weed in the console.

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/03/21 11:50 PM

I hear ya, i kind of feel the same way when i see all the cookie cutter bought cars. (know)
v
v
v
v
Oh i forgot to add that i am running side pipes too...

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/03/21 11:54 PM

Thank you, i have no plan on jacking it to the moon. Just enough to keep tires from rubbing. Thank you for a positive honest opinion.

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/03/21 11:54 PM

Thank you,

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/03/21 11:56 PM

Probally will pass on the weed, but will have a CB , FM converter 8 track and a box of tapes... grin

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/03/21 11:57 PM

Thank you, that is a good idea.

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/03/21 11:59 PM

Thank you for some solid advice, i appreciate that.

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/04/21 12:00 AM

I will be running side pipes as well so that hopefully will avoid burnt lines.

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/04/21 12:02 AM

Thank you, i appreciate your opinion
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/04/21 12:16 AM

You might consider some Super Stock springs.
Posted By: 57Fury440

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/04/21 04:26 AM

You could have a shop that rebuilds springs re-arc and add a leaf of two the springs you have.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/04/21 10:40 AM

Someone mentioned longer rear hangers which would help reduce the need for high shock pressures but if I remember correctly they won't work on an e-body because of the hangers hitting the rear valence.

I remember back in the day you would see cars with them and the rear valence cut for clearance. I don't think you want that "vintage" look. Super stock springs are not a good idea for a street vehicle. My first Challenger had air shocks and the upper shock support was cracked everywhere. Re arch the springs would be my choice.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/04/21 01:30 PM

I remember with my Challengers using a 15x10 wheel with a 4.5" backspace. N50X15s of various branding- Kelley Supercharger- Pro Trac. I had air shocks and made sure to keep the rear high enough to not have the fender lip damage the beautiful side walls when going over rail road tracks.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/04/21 03:02 PM

A wee bit off topic but my '83 El Camino came from the factory with air shocks and all the mounting points looked great last time I changed shocks. Over 200,000 miles on that one......
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/04/21 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by bobby66
A wee bit off topic but my '83 El Camino came from the factory with air shocks and all the mounting points looked great last time I changed shocks. Over 200,000 miles on that one......

It's also irrelevant. Your Elco doesn't even use the same style rear suspension. Is not made by the same manufacturer and was designed by the factory to use air shocks.
Posted By: srt

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/04/21 03:51 PM

If you're set on air shocks, Gabriel HiJackers was the go to back in the day shock.
Best is ew springs and longer shocks. Talk with a knowledgeable spring shop and have the height (lift) and current center to center of the bushing dimension. Let them know the ride you desire (race or comfort). It's possible to re-arc but I've found that to not last. SS springs may not give you the "look" you want, and will likely end up with an uneven height across the rear. New properly set springs are really not that expensive in the big picture.
Lifting using pressure can hurt the body end mount of the shock over time, and amount of lift. Doing it with springs does not generate more forces on the uniframe.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/04/21 05:13 PM

I love the old look.

Attached picture Challenger RT 70 Period.jpg

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/04/21 05:17 PM

And this one.

Attached picture TA Challenger in 1974 PA..jpg

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/05/21 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2boltmain
I remember with my Challengers using a 15x10 wheel with a 4.5" backspace. N50X15s of various branding- Kelley Supercharger- Pro Trac. I had air shocks and made sure to keep the rear high enough to not have the fender lip damage the beautiful side walls when going over rail road tracks.

I had N50 15 Mickey Thompson set up like that. But even with air shocks we rolled the lips.
Wood baseball bat stuffed between the tire and wheel lip held by friend as you drive away slooooow.
I knew quite a few guys who also did the same thing. Even used my bat.
They thought I was a genius.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/05/21 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by kermit1
fyi there is no way 10 inch rims arent going to stick out passed the quarter a little

Regarding the snipped comment above, 10" rims will fit inside the wheel lip if you move the leaf springs in and use the correct backspace wheel. I've got 10" rims with a 12" wide tire under my Challenger, all inside the wheel lip opening.

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/05/21 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by TC@HP2
Originally Posted by kermit1
fyi there is no way 10 inch rims arent going to stick out passed the quarter a little

Regarding the snipped comment above, 10" rims will fit inside the wheel lip if you move the leaf springs in and use the correct backspace wheel. I've got 10" rims with a 12" wide tire under my Challenger, all inside the wheel lip opening.

This but please move both front and rear.
I have seen guys just do the easy part. Move both.
Posted By: srt

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/07/21 04:19 AM

This is what six may be referring to

http://www.2040-parts.com/nos-mopar...ackles-for-super-stock-springs-i1302177/

just grabbed this not for the ad, but the pic.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/07/21 10:59 AM

IIRC, E bodies have splayed leafs, so the front hangers are already in compared to the rear.

The offset shackles just moves the rear in and makes them more parallel. Not sure why that would be an issue.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 09/07/21 02:28 PM

It isn't a big problem to change an E body's splayed mounting to parallel and it does provide additional clearance at the rear spring segment, which can help with fitting wider tires in the wheel well. Many drag racers do this. However, the splayed mounting does provide benefits in roll resistance, lateral stability, and rear steer characteristics. That is why the factory went to the splayed mounting arrangement in all cars eventually. The E bodies started in 70, the B bodies in 73, and the F bodies in 76. A bodies never got splayed mounting.

On my car, I did move both ends of the spring in an inch to both provide clearance and retain the design characteristics.
Posted By: BevoHoosier

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 11/22/21 10:53 PM

Saw a hi-jacked beater/period modded Trans-Am in a show on Netflix yesterday, and noticed that it had small brake/taillights mounted underneath the car on the shock mounts. ---As in, the back of the car is jacked up high, so they put a couple small lights way under the car where you can see them from behind... Anyone ever seen this this done back in the day? I'd never heard of it, but was kind of cool in a hoosier / mullet sorta way...

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 11/23/21 12:08 AM

Never saw the brake lights under the car but there were a lot of blue dots installed in the middle of the brake/taillights back in the day.
Posted By: A12

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 11/23/21 03:57 AM

Getting back to air shocks I'm trying to think which reason came first for air shocks in the first place? Was it for load leveling for say pulling a trailer like an Air Stream, etc., or packing up tjhe family daily driver to head out for vacation or visit family? Or was it to jack up the rear of a car to put bigger tires on it.............I'm thinking it was the former and not the later back in the day. There were several other things marketed to help with load leveling for more daily driver/hauling vehicles that found there way onto muscle cars for changing the rear stance too. When you think of the market for load leveling versus hot rodding back in the day I don't think that Gabrial only considered big rear tires as the reason for air shocks......just my take on it.................and yes back in 1969 or was that 1970 I had a pair of air shocks on my '69 Road Runner with H70-14 tires but never really with a lot of PSI in them, just liked the slightly higher rear stance....

Attached picture My_69_road_runner_circa_1969_006.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 11/23/21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by IMGTX
Never saw the brake lights under the car but there were a lot of blue dots installed in the middle of the brake/taillights back in the day.

blue dots, i used lots of those back when ! biggrin
also did the lights on the rear, mounted on the rear of the slapper bars. Lakewood's of course, when using Gabriel Hi-Jackers.
and speaking of high jackers, i just came into a set from a dart. don't know if they are any good, but i'll test them one of these days.
beer

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 11/23/21 10:49 PM

And the Hi-Jackers are still made! One of my reps reps Gabriel.

Attached picture Hi Jacker Rabbit.jpg
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 11/23/21 11:53 PM

Back in 1980 a friend of mine had a 70 CUDA 440 with N50 Pro Tracts Cragers High Jackers & shock extensions, that image is forever burned in whats ever left of my mind
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 11/24/21 04:10 PM

Attached picture cuda.jpg
Posted By: burdar

Re: Air shocks\wide tires - 11/24/21 05:06 PM

I'd try to reinforce the shock x-member where it's welded to the rear frame rails. Might not hurt to box it around the upper shock mounts either. You could use Super Stock springs to get the back up too. If it isn't enough, the air shocks can add the little bit of extra height you want. Then most of the weight would be on the springs and not so much on the shocks. twocents
© 2024 Moparts Forums