Moparts

Engine R&R, do I need this?

Posted By: BDW

Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/01/21 01:06 AM

Going to be removing my 340 and replacing with Gen3 5.7.
I have the HF 2-ton lift, do I need this leveler?
Or just a set of chain?

Attached picture AC709336-6331-4CC1-91AE-37BCDFFFD0E7.png
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/01/21 01:31 AM

They're handy !! For the price I'd go for it !!
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/01/21 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton
They're handy !! For the price I'd go for it !!

X2
Whether you're pulling or installing an engine transmission combination, or even just the engine (from the top), those levelers are money. I'm not saying it can't be done without one, but the job will certainly be easier.
Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/01/21 02:27 AM

I've only used one once in countless engine pulls and installs and that was a long time ago. An issue that may come up is that sometimes you need the "hook" of the engine hoist to be near the engine to get enough height to clear the radiator support. The load lever takes up a lot of this potential lift height. So I guess it just depends on your situation.

If I need the engine to tilt a bit, I just change the lifting point on the chain or carb plate hook location.

Whatever you decide, safety first!
Posted By: lancer493

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/01/21 10:06 AM

I had the same question, with an aluminum head big block, front and rear motor plate, giant engine setback, tall and wide fabbed aluminum valve covers, and a firewall less than 1/4" away from the back of the heads. Solution was to borrow a friends old cast iron intake,add a Summit carb pad lift plate with three hoop choices atop,tape off intake ports, use an old set or cheap set of gaskets, and temporarily bolt on to the motor. No chains or brackets to mess up valve covers or any aluminum bolt holesor surfaces. Also had no firewall/chain clearance either. Didn't want to wreck a heavily ported aluminum intake either. It worked absolutely great. It spread the load out evenly and securely on the intake manifold surface of the aluminum heads. Bill
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/01/21 10:32 AM

Just sold mine. Never used it. Use a carb flange lifting plate
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/01/21 02:57 PM

Do not need.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/01/21 05:42 PM

It is your choice, both ways work up
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/01/21 09:01 PM

If I need the engine to tilt a bit, I just change the lifting point on the chain or carb plate hook location.

Yup ... just drop the engine back down into place, change the hook point, try again OR just turn the crank on that gizmo !!!

Actually, there are a bunch of things that will dictate whether or not you can use one of these.

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/01/21 09:55 PM

No carb flange on the 5.7, maybe there's a spot on the heads?
I assumed I'd bolt the chains to the intake manifold on the 340.
Wouldn't mind spending the $35 for the leveler if it will work for both engines.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/01/21 10:06 PM

I have one and never used it. It took up too much height and didn't work for me. If I had an A-Frame hoist with more vertical space it may be fine.

On my engines I usually just hook a chain to the alternator bolt holes in the heads.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/01/21 11:41 PM

Easer to drop it out the bottom
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/02/21 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by 71birdJ68
Easier to drop it out the bottom

Not always.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/02/21 12:42 AM

Chain or carb plate here. A buddy built me one and i sol dit at a swap meet (SHHH!) whistling beer
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/02/21 01:17 AM

You loose about 12" of lift height with one. If you can lift that extra foot, they are pretty nice, but very seldom could I clear the radiator support with one of those in place. Hundreds of motor swaps, that thing worked on less the 5 of them. Maybe its under a shelve someplace, but more likely, I got rid of it. Gene
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/02/21 01:01 PM

It's better to have the tool in your tool box and choose to use it or not than not have it.
What guy has too many tools in his box anyways? boogie
Copper
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/02/21 01:21 PM

I did away with engine hoists and levelers.

Too much Rube Goldberg there.

So I built me a gantry crane. Works like a champ. I have a lifting eye I screw in place of the center head bolt.

Attached picture Hoisted.jpg
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/02/21 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by BigDaddy440

The load lever takes up a lot of this potential lift height.

Yep, that's why I don't like them.
Posted By: njmopar

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/02/21 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Originally Posted by BigDaddy440

The load lever takes up a lot of this potential lift height.

Yep, that's why I don't like them.

Same thing here. Good idea, but seems to get in the way in reality. In particular on a truck where the cowl hangs over the motor. Just no room.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/02/21 09:52 PM

For lifting new hemis I took a piece of angle iron, drilled a hole on each end to bolt it flat to a head via the intake bolt hole and drilled a bigger hole in the center for the tip of my cherry picker hook, very low clearance set up so I don't have to pull hoods or have the cowl in the way, done a bunch this way with no problems so far.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/02/21 10:03 PM

Amateurs LOL

I like what you did sniper but my wood working skills are almost as bad as my cooking. Both are dangerous.

Attached picture mv3d9b2v80941.jpg

Re: Engine R&R, do I need this? - 09/02/21 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodDave
For lifting new hemis I took a piece of angle iron, drilled a hole on each end to bolt it flat to a head via the intake bolt hole and drilled a bigger hole in the center for the tip of my cherry picker hook, very low clearance set up so I don't have to pull hoods or have the cowl in the way, done a bunch this way with no problems so far.

Any pics of that? Newbie looking for all the tips I can get.
© 2024 Moparts Forums