Moparts

Mopar battery - where to buy

Posted By: 71redcuda

Mopar battery - where to buy - 07/04/21 10:23 AM

Who has new mopar batteries in stock ??

Im looking for a new with yellow caps for my cuda.

Thanks
Nicklas

Attached picture S24MY_S.jpg
Posted By: Kowal

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 07/04/21 11:00 AM

https://www.batterycentralmall.com/Batteries/TurboStart/TurboStart_Script.html
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 07/04/21 12:38 PM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tbo-bb-s24my ship direct, don`t know the wait time.
Posted By: 69ACME

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 07/04/21 02:57 PM

There are currently only 2 manufacturers and none of the retailers have any in stock. TurboStart told me in May that they didn't know when they would make more yellow tops. Jim's Battery in Ohio is taking orders and making them as orders come in. They told me 3-4 weeks when I ordered it in early May. I just got the shipping notification on Friday.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 07/04/21 03:32 PM

Mancini has them in stock

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 07/06/21 06:24 PM

I'm not sure where you got that from. But Mancini does not have them in stock. If you want a battery call Jim's battery and put your name on the list. I put some time into this so I'm just passing on what's going on in the restoration battery world.
Posted By: tman

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 07/06/21 10:38 PM

Back in December I contacted Mancini, they did say they had them in stock. I asked about shipping cost to my city and got no answer. So I contacted Battery Central Mall and spoke to Wayne. His batteries come from Jim's battery and it was a 4 week wait time and shipping was included in the price. He also said that he had the Turbostarts in stock but did not have the proper double shipping box (on order). So I ended up getting my red cap batt made by Jims and it arrived in 4 weeks. Im happy with it. The nice thing about Jim's battery, there is a smaller battery in the case. So when its time to get a new battery, I can use this and put another battery inside. So far, this battery is pretty strong to start my 440. So ordering through Jim's should be ok too.

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 07/06/21 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by tman
Back in December I contacted Mancini, they did say they had them in stock. I asked about shipping cost to my city and got no answer. So I contacted Battery Central Mall and spoke to Wayne. His batteries come from Jim's battery and it was a 4 week wait time and shipping was included in the price. He also said that he had the Turbostarts in stock but did not have the proper double shipping box (on order). So I ended up getting my red cap batt made by Jims and it arrived in 4 weeks. Im happy with it. The nice thing about Jim's battery, there is a smaller battery in the case. So when its time to get a new battery, I can use this and put another battery inside. So far, this battery is pretty strong to start my 440. So ordering through Jim's should be ok too.

Mancini told me they didn't even want to deal with batteries from TurboStart because over half of them arrived broken. When I talked to TurboStart in May they didn't sound like they weren't making the BB series (battery in battery) yellow top a priority. Jim's the man right now. You're lucky you ordered it in December before everyone wanted to drive their car. I ordered mine May 11th and they just charged my credit June 30th. Hopefully I'll have it this week.
Posted By: David1971

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/14/22 02:46 AM

Reviving an old thread: I have been on the fence for quite a while about buying a Mopar reproduction battery. Am I correct in that ordering from Jim's Battery, Battery Central Mall, or the TurboStart website will get you the exact same battery.....with Jim's being the manufacturer? Also, are there any of you that regret buying this latest version of the repro? Especially with regards to reliability.

By the way, here is the only other thread that I could find on the subject and it too is over a year old:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2885624/1.html
Posted By: 83hurstguy

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/14/22 03:14 AM

We've had issues with the red cap repros from a few years ago with the smaller sealed battery inside. It would crank my 8.5:1 440 super slow when the engine was warm, and a separate battery (same version) did the same in a friends stock 426 hemi. We needed less than 15* of timing to get them to start. I have a new engine in the car (11:1 440) but haven't tried the repro battery on it yet. Probably going to have to beef up the internal battery. I love how they look but not happy with performance for the price. Other people seem to have better success. I'll give it a test in the next week or two again.
Posted By: MoreParts

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/14/22 03:42 AM

I've been using the yellow cap version of Jim's Battery for a while now. It's the one with the smaller AGM battery in the case. I want to say I've had it for six or so months. I got it when they first went back into production. The first one I got from them had the log embossed backwards. The replacement one has been working flawlessly since installed. I also use a CTEK battery tender with it.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/14/22 03:05 PM

Anyone know what smaller battery Jim's uses inside
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/14/22 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
We've had issues with the red cap repros from a few years ago with the smaller sealed battery inside. It would crank my 8.5:1 440 super slow when the engine was warm, and a separate battery (same version) did the same in a friends stock 426 hemi. We needed less than 15* of timing to get them to start. I have a new engine in the car (11:1 440) but haven't tried the repro battery on it yet. Probably going to have to beef up the internal battery. I love how they look but not happy with performance for the price. Other people seem to have better success. I'll give it a test in the next week or two again.

I will bet you are running the stock starter. 15 degrees initial will be a hard hit when hot.

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/14/22 03:53 PM

I ordered my Red cap battery from Battery Central in Dec 2020. I spoke to Wayne who was very helpful and answered all of my questions. The battery he gets are from Jims Battery. I did ask him then what battery is inside the case. It is an AGM and it was 2 brands he uses. Can't recall which ones. I got my battery in 5 weeks. At that time, he did have Turbostart in stock, but did not have the specialty double shipping boxes for them. So I got Jims Battery product. So far so good with this battery.

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/14/22 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by 340SIX
Anyone know what smaller battery Jim's uses inside

I popped the caps off to have a look for you. It's the XS Power AGM Battery. I can't tell which specific model it is, but I can say looking at Summit Racing for them their prices explain why these batteries are so expensive.

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/15/22 01:58 AM

Thanks guys for all of the replies. I have seen these at car shows, cruise-ins, etc. and was impressed with the look of the embossed black case. Is the quality of the cases, lettering, and caps still there in these new versions?

Last question. This is for a 71 318 Barracuda. All of the guides indicate a green cap. For some reason I thought yellow because it is AC equipped. Here is a shot of the build sheet.

Green or Yellow?

Thanks,
David

Attached picture IMG_4766.JPG

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/15/22 02:34 AM

I can say once they got the top logo facing the right direction on mine, it was every bit as nice as the previous repro batteries I've owned. The biggest change, and it was for the positive, is it's much lighter. If Galen's book is to believed, he shows 70-73s with 340s and smaller engines got the green caps.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/15/22 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN

I will bet you are running the stock starter. 15 degrees initial will be a hard hit when hot.

Mine is 11.5 to 1 compression `15 degrees initial timing and hot or cold it starts just fine with a stock starter , Actually most of the time when hot it fires off before it makes full revolution

standard modern Mopar group 27 battery

Attached picture Hemi-Day2.jpg
Posted By: 83hurstguy

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/21/22 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN

Nope. Powermaster.

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/21/22 09:44 PM

This morning I placed my order with Jim's Battery. I was asked what model, year, and engine. After stating 1971 Barracuda 318 with AC, I was told that it would be a Group 24 yellow cap battery. I replied that all the documentation that I have seen states green. She (Alice) said her docs state yellow and offered either option. It will be 3-4 weeks before it will be built and shipped, so I have time to change my mind on color. The total price including shipping was $351.00.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/21/22 11:14 PM

$351…….ouch!
Posted By: A12

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/22/22 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by David1971
This morning I placed my order with Jim's Battery. I was asked what model, year, and engine. After stating 1971 Barracuda 318 with AC, I was told that it would be a Group 24 yellow cap battery. I replied that all the documentation that I have seen states green. She (Alice) said her docs state yellow and offered either option. It will be 3-4 weeks before it will be built and shipped, so I have time to change my mind on color. The total price including shipping was $351.00.

Just do like JDroadrunner and I did and buy extra different color caps. John got red, green and yellow and is covering all of the bases. I bought the yellow and red caps for my GTX and A12 if I ever want or need to transfer the battery from one car to the other. I got the group 27 (physically slightly larger in dimension compared to the A12's standard group 24) and just to have a little fun if someone says I have the wrong color caps I thought about doing this: wink tonguue

Attached picture 20160727_170852_resizedrs_001.jpg
Attached picture battery caps red green yellow 1.jpeg
Posted By: VitaminCRunner

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/22/22 08:25 PM

Keep the trickle charger on them, they cost too much to shorten their lives. I have had mine for 9 years +

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/23/22 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by VitaminCRunner
Keep the trickle charger on them, they cost too much to shorten their lives. I have had mine for 9 years +

Which brings up my next question. All of my chargers are Deltran Battery Tenders. The datasheets on models from CTEK, NOCO, and Victron indicate more advanced technology. Anybody have experience on these brands?

Re: Mopar battery - where to buy - 09/23/22 06:35 AM

I use the Deltran and it works fine on my last agm batt that lasted 11 yrs. Finally broke down and got another Mopar repro batt from Jim's Battery. Had it for only a yr now, so far so good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums