Moparts

Four speed issues

Posted By: Kippy

Four speed issues - 06/28/21 12:45 PM

Any thoughts on this....
Ive had a issue with my rebuilt 23 spline pop'ing out of fourth but that's been resolved, yesterday things took on a different twist.
On my way to a local cruise in, I was stoped at a busy intersection on a moderate hill.....The light turned green, I put the car in first and let out the clutch and nothing, the car rolled backwards slightly, I tried again and same thing.
Now the [censored] who was to close to me to begin with was very close to my bumper.....I got very nervous, stalled the car.....I restarted it got it in third and got the car out of the intersection.
I pulled over and tried first and all was ok......Got to the show had was at a loss as to what happened
On the way home it did it again, but this time I realise what is happening is when I put the car in first and have my foot on the clutch and stopped, all of a sudden the shifter pop's out of first and is in neutral.....
It doesn't do often and if you hold it in first its ok. I tried the car on a steep incline putting in first not holding the shifter and no problem, but it did pop out of first at that light and not knowing what was going on it rattled me
All my parts were ordered from Brewers and Dan told me everything ordered was the right stuff
Any opinions as to what would make the trans pop out of first while the car is stoped?????
thanks for any and all opinions
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Four speed issues - 06/28/21 01:08 PM

What shifter are you using? Sounds like the tranny is not engaging the main drive gear all the way..If it's a Hurst shifter, there are stops to keep the levers from going too deep into the gears.( Not really necessary with an 833 tranny.) The stop may need backed out. Other than that, you just might have to readjust the shifter or make sure that the side levers are tight on the tranny.

Re: Four speed issues - 06/28/21 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 68LAR
What shifter are you using? Sounds like the tranny is not engaging the main drive gear all the way..If it's a Hurst shifter, there are stops to keep the levers from going too deep into the gears.( Not really necessary with an 833 tranny.) The stop may need backed out. Other than that, you just might have to readjust the shifter or make sure that the side levers are tight on the tranny.

Thanks for replying.....Im using a Hurst comp plus and the stops have been removed per Dan B advice which cured the pop'ing out of forth but this issue is something else I think.....Will be under the car checking linkage and more awarenesses when stoped and putting car in first with clutch in and not yet moving
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Four speed issues - 06/28/21 04:51 PM

Make sure nothing is touching, or close to touching he linkage. Speedo cable comes to mind off hand. What might be happening is something is interfering with the linkage, maybe not always or only in certain circumstances, which is why I mentioned stuff close as well.
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: Four speed issues - 06/28/21 05:40 PM

not that this solves your issue but I always shift into neutral when coming to a stop, I rarely if ever leave the car in gear at a light, i anticipate the light changing then shift into 1st. just me and my .02 good luck with the issue and i will follow the this thread
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Four speed issues - 06/28/21 05:59 PM

There is a slot in the shifter you can put a 1/8" allen wrench in to adjust it. If you put it in neutral and can't get the allen all the way through then it is out of adjustment and you need to adjust the rods that are out...
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: Four speed issues - 06/28/21 06:53 PM

1/8" seems small. I thought it was a 1/4" drill bit but it's been a little while since I've adjusted mine.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Four speed issues - 06/28/21 07:16 PM

A couple of points....
1. Adjusting the stops is crucial, if too close then the transmission won't fully engage into the proper gear
2. When the levers/rods are adjusted correctly, the shifter handle should move left/right smoothly when in neutral...

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Four speed issues - 06/28/21 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 80fbody
1/8" seems small. I thought it was a 1/4" drill bit but it's been a little while since I've adjusted mine.

Maybe, been a decade since I did one. Find the allen that fits snuggly in the slots...
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Four speed issues - 06/28/21 11:37 PM

1/4 inch L shaped tool is what Hurst supplied with new shifters.
Posted By: hemirdrnnr

Re: Four speed issues - 06/28/21 11:41 PM

Are your shifter rods sitting flat on the shifter tabs , I just installed new linkage on my compitition plus and had to tweek the rods to fit right .
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Four speed issues - 06/29/21 12:19 AM

Another thing to check is the bellhousing and gearbox bolts. I had similar problems and it turned out a bunch of bolts had loosened up opening a gap between the bellhousing/engine and the gearbox, throwing everything out of alignment and causing problems. After I tightened everything up it shifted like new again.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Four speed issues - 06/29/21 12:50 AM

I have always used the stops as in my younger days i had a few 833's in which the sliders would over travel allowing the slider keys to pop out. PITA to get back in with the trans in the car, although I did become quite proficient at it. I should addthat the transmissions mare have been a bit worn and i have always driven them hard.
1. Make sure the shifter plate is not loose on the trans. If Loctite is not used they are know to come loose
2 Same for the shifter to plate bolts
3. Make sure the slots in the shifter arms are not wallowed out from being loose
4. Make sure the nuts holding the arms on are tight
5. Any chance yo might have bent a shift fork ?
keep us posted beer
Posted By: metallicareload

Re: Four speed issues - 06/29/21 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Kippy

Thanks for replying.....Im using a Hurst comp plus and the stops have been removed per Dan B advice which cured the pop'ing out of forth but this issue is something else I think.....Will be under the car checking linkage and more awarenesses when stoped and putting car in first with clutch in and not yet moving

How many miles on the trans?

Originally Posted by TJP
...the sliders would over travel allowing the slider keys to pop out. PITA to get back in with the trans in the car, although I did become quite proficient at...

confused

Originally Posted by TJP
1. Make sure the shifter plate is not loose on the trans. If Loctite is not used they are know to come loose
3. Make sure the slots in the shifter arms are not wallowed out from being loose

iagree

iagree

Better off using the biggest drill bit that'll fit drive

Re: Four speed issues - 06/29/21 10:49 AM

Thanks to all for the advise.......ASAP I will check out linkage
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Four speed issues - 06/29/21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by metallicareload
Originally Posted by Kippy

How many miles on the trans?

Originally Posted by TJP
...the sliders would over travel allowing the slider keys to pop out. PITA to get back in with the trans in the car, although I did become quite proficient at...

confused

Originally Posted by TJP

iagree

iagree

Better off using the biggest drill bit that'll fit drive

Buy one of the Hurst alignment tools, a 90 degree smooth pin, and then adjust each shift rod as needed to get it correct on all three rods and the shifter handle up scope wrench twocents
Make sure and check the shift arms on the tranny also to make sure they are tight and not worn out on the slots and the shift arm shafts that go into the tranny scope
© 2024 Moparts Forums