Moparts

Stiff clutch pedal

Posted By: smuggler

Stiff clutch pedal - 06/23/21 11:31 AM

Hey folks,
I have a problem with a very stiff clutch pedal. It's a 68 GTS 340 car with standard 833. The car did not have a stiff pedal before I restored it but afterward, it did. I've replaced the bellhousing with a factory correct housing and used dial idicator. Good there. Replaced clutch pressure plate and disc with brand new RAM 3 finger-style. I'm running the factory pedal box (rebuilt with all new bearings) and over-center spring. Still stiff pedal. The z-bar (Torque shaft) and the bellhousing Z bar mount are factory correct I believe (they look like what Brewers shows). Also the clutch pedal rod is factory correct I believe. When I look at the Z-bar though, it looks like the end-closed the bellhousing is not centered. Any ideas?
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Stiff clutch pedal - 06/23/21 11:36 AM

ask RAM what the plate pressure is. probably far more than you need.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Stiff clutch pedal - 06/23/21 11:47 AM

I agreee.I used to run a 3200 poundcCleod plate in my 65 Clutch was a bear to push.Now center force and its easy.Rocky
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: Stiff clutch pedal - 06/23/21 12:05 PM

I've always run stiff, 3 finger clutches. My latest street car, I decided I wanted something a little easier for cruising in traffic. Getting older. I reached out to Centerforce and the tech recommended the CFII (not dual friction). It's so much easier on the leg, zero chatter, smooth release and never hints of slip. I'm only running about 400hp smallblock but I like to grab some gears. Zero complaints and would buy another tomorrow.

Re: Stiff clutch pedal - 06/23/21 12:07 PM

It's a street clutch. I think 2800 pressure up to 450 HP.
Posted By: 80fbody

Re: Stiff clutch pedal - 06/23/21 12:36 PM

It's most likely the clutch. If you lay under while someone presses the clutch down and don't see anything wonky or noises, it's probably not a mechanical issue.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Stiff clutch pedal - 06/23/21 03:25 PM

it's not about horsepower; it's about torque. small blocks are not torque engines. i'd rather have less plate pressure and more friction area on a street car. 440's and street hemis used a 2700-2800lb borg&beck BUT they had a heavier over center spring than the 383's with a 2300lb clutch; and even with the heavier over center spring they were a pain in the a$$ in traffic. this reminds me of way back in the day when a friend had '63 409 with a 3000lb borg&beck with no over center spring; miserable to drive.

Re: Stiff clutch pedal - 06/23/21 05:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I'll investigate further.
Posted By: doctor_mopar

Re: Stiff clutch pedal - 06/24/21 07:31 PM

You may have the wrong pivot in the bellhousing, or wrong ballstud mount attached to the bellhousing . Go to Brewers site on the internet and look at the component photos. If you don't see the problem , give them a call . They have the knowledge, and all the right components.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Stiff clutch pedal - 06/24/21 11:33 PM

Can the Z bar be swapped end for end? I've seen that happen on other vehicles. It throws off the linkage ratio.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Stiff clutch pedal - 06/25/21 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by ruderunner
Can the Z bar be swapped end for end? I've seen that happen on other vehicles. It throws off the linkage ratio.

shruggy Dunno, I'd guess not if all the factory stuff is in place, BUTTTTT ? Great suggestion.
And to the OP do be aware that the frame side mount will give it up without reinforcement. Myself, I like the Centerforce clutches. probably installed 100 of them in various vehicles, only 1 manufacturing problem. twocents beer
Posted By: therocks

Re: Stiff clutch pedal - 06/25/21 01:26 PM

TJP agree CF clutchs are great Love the one in my 65 Been beat on for years and still works great.Oh yeah make sure the buching etc on the z bar are greased.Rocky
y
Posted By: metallicareload

Re: Stiff clutch pedal - 06/25/21 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by ruderunner

I feel as though if it could be done, I would have done it frown and caused problems. But I've only worked on Big Block cars. I've had a couple "heavy" pressure plates 3,000+ pounds, even with the overcentre spring it just might be "how it is" shruggy drive
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Stiff clutch pedal - 07/01/21 04:39 AM

Fix it with a center force. Done.
© 2024 Moparts Forums